AmEx not reimbursing AA GC!

asc8u

Level 2 Member

holy @#$!. I saw it reported last night on TPG but looks like other sites are now confirming that
something changed on Feb 9th and AA GCs are now showing up on AmEx statements as "gift certificates" and
no longer triggering airline credit.

If this is true, it'll be a game changer for me since I'm at a AA hub. But DP still seems to be sparse about
whether or not it's just isolated to AA or effecting other airlines, or other airline credits on other cards, like CNB Crystal.
This could totally change the calculation on what Amex cards to keep long term.

Anyone else actually use these airline credits for something else other than airline GC?

caliang

It seems like it's still working for other airlines, but it definitely sucks for someone in the AA hub.

caliang

airline GC is probably the best use; else, you can also use it for those fuel surcharge fees when redeeming awards flight.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Trying to get our $100 credit from an AMEX PRG, I tried a Delta flight with add-ons then canceled. Didn't work, but it's always been tricky to get the right combo for me. So I went with the standard GC order trying only $50. That was about a week ago and I was ready to declare that Delta GCs were also dead. Alas, this morning a $50 credit posted. So I'll order another 50 card tonight and be done with this one. Holding Delta GCs isn't ideal, but I'm sure I can find a way to use them!

asc8u

Level 2 Member
Trying to get our $100 credit from an AMEX PRG, I tried a Delta flight with add-ons then canceled. Didn't work, but it's always been tricky to get the right combo for me. So I went with the standard GC order trying only $50. That was about a week ago and I was ready to declare that Delta GCs were also dead. Alas, this morning a $50 credit posted. So I'll order another 50 card tonight and be done with this one. Holding Delta GCs isn't ideal, but I'm sure I can find a way to use them!
I'm glad it worked - I'd seen reports online that Delta and SW GC were still working.
I'm happy to report that I tried AA GC with CNB Crystal and it's still working as usual;
GC charge posted 2/13 and got reimbursed yesterday.

caliang

There was a reimbursement delay for people that made charges on Dec 31 and early January. I personally made charges on Jan 1 and didn't get reimbursed till maybe 2 wks later. Other than that, it seems to work as it used to.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I purchased $100 AA gc with Aspire on 1-31. Received airline fee reimbursement on 2-20.

asc8u

Level 2 Member
I purchased $100 AA gc with Aspire on 1-31. Received airline fee reimbursement on 2-20.
That was a separate AmEx glitch that occurred just on Jan 31st.
The specific change with AA GC coding different occurred on Feb 9th. I haven't heard of any reports of AA GC purchased after 2/8 being reimbursed by AmEx.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
That was a separate AmEx glitch that occurred just on Jan 31st.
The specific change with AA GC coding different occurred on Feb 9th. I haven't heard of any reports of AA GC purchased after 2/8 being reimbursed by AmEx.
Thanks. Now what to do with the other $150? Darn.

asc8u

Level 2 Member
Thanks. Now what to do with the other $150? Darn.
Southwest and Delta (in $50 increments) are still options for GCs.
But you'll need to contact AmEx to change your airline of choice.

Or wait - maybe AA will change their billing back later this year and
it'll go back to the way it was. It's still unclear if this was just an AA
driven change or a move by AmEx to close the loop.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Southwest and Delta (in $50 increments) are still options for GCs.
But you'll need to contact AmEx to change your airline of choice.

Or wait - maybe AA will change their billing back later this year and
it'll go back to the way it was. It's still unclear if this was just an AA
driven change or a move by AmEx to close the loop.
It's never taken 20 days to post the reimbursement with Amex in my experience, so I was hoping that it hadn't changed - just taking longer. AA was good for me being in a hub area. I had already changed it from SW to AA - hopefully they will change it back. They've always changed via chat in the past.