AMEX Everyday

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
I'm new and in a bit of a tight time frame. I may likely be moving to England for 1-2 years within the next 1-2 months. My FICO tanked from 770 to 720 after 9 inquiries (and approvals) in the last couple of months. I only had 1 AMEX, so I decided to apply for the Everyday Preffered as it didn't seem as "premium" and more likely to be gotten with a lower CS. I was approved instantly.

How hard can I hit this thing? I'd like to burn thru the 6k immediately. Is this feasible or do I risk a shutdown? If so I'd do maybe half now, and half in May when I expect to return for a wedding.

Last edited:

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'm new and in a bit of a tight time frame. I may likely be moving to England for 1-2 years within the next 1-2 months. My FICO tanked from 770 to 720 after 9 inquiries (and approvals) in the last couple of months. I only had 1 AMEX, so I decided to apply for the Everyday as it didn't seem as "premium" and more likely to be gotten with a lower CS. I was approved instantly.

How hard can I hit this thing? I'd like to burn thru the 6k immediately. Is this feasible or do I risk a shutdown? If so I'd do maybe half now, and half in May when I expect to return for a wedding.
Was your reported income accurate? If there was to be a shut down it would come via Financial Review most likely, where they will confirm income etc.... if there is alignment there I'd be comfortable to put the spend on it. You could do $3K now and another $3K in a 'little while' if you want to defuse it.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
Yes, reported income was accurate. I'll average it out as best I can within the timeframe I have, hopefully 1k/week for 6 weeks. I didn't know if they had some kind of alert for blowing thru all 6k in <2 months when they expect it to last all year.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Yes, reported income was accurate. I'll average it out as best I can within the timeframe I have, hopefully 1k/week for 6 weeks. I didn't know if they had some kind of alert for blowing thru all 6k in <2 months when they expect it to last all year.
There is an alert, but nobody knows when it might trigger. With new account it may be sooner. FWIW I've spent a lot more than that in a day on Amex.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
With the 6k limit on groceries, the 3% (with 50% bonus) at gas stations looks great. I'm surprised I don't see more discussion about this card as a useful, ongoing 3%er.

Last edited:

smittytabb

Staff member
With the 6k limit on groceries, the 3% (with 50% bonus) at gas stations looks great. I'm surprised I don't see more discussion about this card as a useful, ongoing 3%er.
I really like the card, although sometimes getting the 30 is crazy. My husband's office has a drink machine that takes credit cards. I am going to start having me top me off each month now that I just found this fact out! Oh, and I did half the 6K in two days, no prob.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
I've read that you can do stuff like charge online bill payments in small increments to make it painless. 25 $1 charges coming your way Comcast!

phantasmic

Level 2 Member
i don't feel like spreading the spend out this year as i want to move on to other goals, so i'm getting it done in the first month, i'm at about 4k so far. i got the card last year and they just gave me an automatic CLI this month, so i don't feel too worried about doing it fairly quickly. we'll see. i'm getting my transactions up on a vending machine at work (through softcard) as well as Amazon gift cards. when you send an amazon gc you can charge as little as $0.50. I do think they combine certain back to back charges so spreading it over a couple of days may help. maybe you can just mix it around with a few dollars each at amazon and comcast

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
i don't feel like spreading the spend out this year as i want to move on to other goals, so i'm getting it done in the first month, i'm at about 4k so far. i got the card last year and they just gave me an automatic CLI this month, so i don't feel too worried about doing it fairly quickly. we'll see. i'm getting my transactions up on a vending machine at work (through softcard) as well as Amazon gift cards. when you send an amazon gc you can charge as little as $0.50. I do think they combine certain back to back charges so spreading it over a couple of days may help. maybe you can just mix it around with a few dollars each at amazon and comcast
Thanks for the input. It seems like a bizarre requirement, as the only way to hit it is to jump thru hoops. If they didn't want people to obtain the 50% bonus, why even offer it?

Do you have an OBC? I want to make this my main MS as I do not have OBC.

phantasmic

Level 2 Member
Yes I have obc since july which I never hit that hard before the shutdowns, only used it to ms enough to cover fees from msing other cards. So it's still kicking.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
I charged .01 and .02 towards my Comcast bill. Charges posted, but didn't count towards the 30 required charges. What gives?

phantasmic

Level 2 Member
just curious, do you happen to be on a pc or mobile device? that happened to me the other day on a mobile device, but when I checked the PC the charges were counted. however, I have never gone that low so not sure if there is anything against charges of that amount.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
just curious, do you happen to be on a pc or mobile device? that happened to me the other day on a mobile device, but when I checked the PC the charges were counted. however, I have never gone that low so not sure if there is anything against charges of that amount.
Checked again and the charges counted! Thanks!