Amex airline credit through GCs dead?

razor

Level 2 Member
Anyone have any recent confirmations that buying third party GCs, eg Amazon through MPX will no longer trigger the credit?

DoC mentioned something to the like, but it was not clear to me.

Thanks

bikingnoob

Looks like it is dead. I have been regularly buying gift cards through MPX and none has triggered the credit. So far I have bough Amazon, Kohl's , Panda Express, Dominos and IHop.

guybrush3pw00d

Level 2 Member
I have purchased Amazon GCs in various small denominations via MPX as well as valid on-board charges (food purchases). The Amazon GC purchases posted on 8/30 and the on-board food purchases posted on 9/4. I am checking daily to see if any airline credit reimbursement occurs for either. If a reimbursement comes in for the on-board food purchase, but does not for the MPX purchases, then it may look grim for MPX.

Ski4ever

Level 2 Member
I think it's dead. I selected United on my platinum and purchased small denomination Amazon cards from the app - posted on the 29th and nothing yet. I selected southwest for my gold and that posted on the 20th, credited two days later.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I think it's dead. I selected United on my platinum and purchased small denomination Amazon cards from the app - posted on the 29th and nothing yet. I selected southwest for my gold and that posted on the 20th, credited two days later.
Wait, so are you saying the Southwest GCs do work and United doesn't? How did you buy the Southwest and what did you buy to get credit? Thks!

Ski4ever

Level 2 Member
Wait, so are you saying the Southwest GCs do work and United doesn't? How did you buy the Southwest and what did you buy to get credit? Thks!
I dont think southwest will still work - and unfortunately I have no way to find out (maxed out my gold, although I might see if they will be kind and let me change my plat selection to sw).

I think they closed the loophole in between the 20th and 29th. I purchase two southwest gift cards on the 20th, as did my partner the day after. All reimbursed. I then got the plat and selected United and used mpx with no reimbursement 9 days later.

All the reports of non-reimbursement I'm seeing are from after sometime around the 29th (a few days before, even).

Jaime

Level 2 Member
So how can we take advantage of this now? I don't see myself eating $600 worth of onboard refreshments, nor do I usually check bags. Ugh.

guybrush3pw00d

Level 2 Member
Still no data on qualifying airline fees being reimbursed as of yet. People on the churning reddit sub are tracking this as a stickied post:

Code:
https://www.reddit.com/r/churning/comments/3jmhjz/mega_thread_all_amex_platinum_airline/
I've been contributing to the thread. I made an in-flight food purchase (which should be a qualifying purchase for airline fee reimbursement) and in-flight wifi purchase (which may or may not be a qualifying purchase) on 9/4/2015 and I still do not see any pending reimbursement coming in as of 9/10/2015. The reddit thread has shown no data points of anyone's airline credit fee (qualifying or not) being reimbursed since the Amex Platinum 100K craze on 8/26/2015. Only the $10 Amex Checkout and Global Entry reimbursements have been reported. So, I wouldn't give up hope quite yet on GC purchases.

Last edited:

knick1959

Level 2 Member
So how can we take advantage of this now? I don't see myself eating $600 worth of onboard refreshments, nor do I usually check bags. Ugh.
I just posted in another thread an idea for United. Although I chose Delta as my airline to try something there, I should have picked United. Checking in for a flight just today, I was offered the chance to but 10k miles for $195. While not an earth-shattering deal, netting a chunk of United miles is better than nothing. Assuming, as I said in that other thread, that this charge would qualify as refundable.

ElainePDX

Level 2 Member
I just posted in another thread an idea for United. Although I chose Delta as my airline to try something there, I should have picked United. Checking in for a flight just today, I was offered the chance to but 10k miles for $195. While not an earth-shattering deal, netting a chunk of United miles is better than nothing. Assuming, as I said in that other thread, that this charge would qualify as refundable.
I saw on today's Devil's Advocate post that buying miles is excluded. May depend on how it posts to Amex and/or if it is routed through a points buying site as most points purchases are.

smittytabb

Staff member
I saw on today's Devil's Advocate post that buying miles is excluded. May depend on how it posts to Amex and/or if it is routed through a points buying site as most points purchases are.
He also suggested using Amex Plat to buy upgrades on international flights. I tried that last year and it was no go.

guybrush3pw00d

Level 2 Member
As an update, the reddit thread has shown two individuals receiving automatic airline credit reimbursements for their MPX purchases (one was made on 8/28 and the other 8/29). However, until there are more datapoints, it's still up in the air on whether Amex will reimburse everyone for their MPX purchases. For the record, my in-flight food purchase (qualifying purchase) on 9/4/2015 has not been reimbursed yet. So, it's not just MPX purchases that aren't being reimbursed, even legitimate purchases are not being reimbursed.

guybrush3pw00d

Level 2 Member
It's 9/20 and my legitimate in-flight food purchase made on 9/4 still hasn't been reimbursed yet and neither has my MPX purchases made on 8/28 and 8/29. There's been no data points on the reddit megathread of anyone's legitimate airlines purchases being reimbursed since the Amex Plat 100K offer came out at the end of August. So, I suppose we can't rule out MPX quite yet.

PatMike

Level 2 Member
Our "Amex" airline is Southwest. I have a number of early boarding $12.50 charges that are actually legit reimbursable items and have not been reimbursed.
I did a chat with Amex and they said if credits are not posted by 4 weeks, chat back or call and they will manually post.
I also have gift cards on another Amex Plat, but the unreimbursed $12.50 EB charges lead me to think it is actually a wait 4 weeks for posting situation.
Also, I buy $40 gift cards, as that is the cost of A1-15 charge at the gate.

msmith864

Level 2 Member
Many many reports of reimbursements coming through as normal now just as before even for purchases made a few weeks ago. Seems like just something not processing correctly and not a change of policy.

guybrush3pw00d

Level 2 Member
Many many reports of reimbursements coming through as normal now just as before even for purchases made a few weeks ago. Seems like just something not processing correctly and not a change of policy.
I can confirm that my MPX purchases made in late August that were not being auto reimbursed were eventually reimbursed late last week (posted on 10/9/2015).

spamman808

Level 2 Member
I have HA as my airlines on my PRG card, and I received the credit for 2 $50 gift card purchases last week. They posted as being from Hawaiian Gifts, or something like that (not Hawaiian Air), but a few days later the credit came through. Not MPX, but maybe useful to people.

Kumarappan

I have chosed UA is my preferred airline on Dec 1st week, bought Amazon gift card through MPX app on Dec 23 and got the fee reimbursed on Dec 29,2015 and thought of doing the same in this month. Just my data point.

ssimonvii

Still working for me. I charged $200 on MPX on my account and told my parents to do the same. My charge was in early Jan and his was the day before the points guy published for all to see :-/. Both were reimbursed within 3 business days.

Disc Golf Guy

Level 2 Member
$100 AA gift card recently worked for me. Posted as AA MISC SALE/ TAX/ FDALLAS TX with statement credit appearing 3 days later.

spamman808

Level 2 Member
Just a data point: Switched my airline for PRG from Hawaiian to Alaska on Jan. 1, and made two $50 dollar gift card purchases on the 4 and 7. Reimbursed less than a week later for both.

spascarella

United MPX App worked for Travel reimbursement on my PRG card for both December and January. Got credit within 3-4 days. Bought the Amazon GC both times.

Jus

Level 2 Member
Does SW GC still work, I did $100 on my PRG last year and it worked without any issues. I forgot to change my airline in Jan so stuck with them and just wanted to see anyone else's experience