American Express is tracking me

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I manage most of my SOs credit cards and have his online logins in my PW program and his cookies on my machine. The ONLY Amx he has is PRG. I'm looking for another card for him and one for me. I clicked on a Blue Cash Preferred link and up popped: " You have been identified as a current American Express Card Member. You may have seen an offer advertised for this product previously, but the offer is not available to current American Express Card Members."

I thought AmX had a policy of one bonus per lifetime per card not per member????? (I know I can go ahead and get a card since I don't currently hold one). What does this message mean?

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Use incognito or private browsing. (Depends on what browser you use)
They track you via cookies. As do most if not all major websites do.

Hell... Even Saverocity does. :eek:o_O

:p

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Use incognito or private browsing. (Depends on what browser you use)
They track you via cookies. As do most if not all major websites do.

Hell... Even Saverocity does. :eek:o_O

:p
Thanks but that's not really my point :) although from reading what I wrote I'm sure you can't tell. The point is--is AmX now saying you only get 1 bonus per lifetime regardless of card????

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Yes. 1 per lifetime.
One American Express bonus per lifetime, not per card? I don't think I've ever seen that before. And so if I browse incognitio and get the offer, AmX will just not award the bonus after the spend?

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I don't think so:
http://www.dansdeals.com/archives/41831 but reading the details I see this happens w/BC Pref, guess I'll have to get it.
Maybe you think I mean one bonus per Blue Cash Pref per lifetime-- which is true--but neither of has had the card. "Effective for consumer card applications on May 1st, acquisition incentive control will be declined if the Card Member has ever had the same card and cancelled it. We no longer limit the timeline to look back 12 months."

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Applied for US Bank Club Carlson, got the 3-10 days, we will contact you. Next, I kind of wimped out and applied for the Amx Blue Cash Pref w/free Amazon Prime ($100 cash back rather than $150); approved w/$20K credit line. Then I applied for Chase Club IHG, approved with only $2K credit limit (what???). Another glass of wine and I'm going to go for an Amex PRG or Ameriprise.

So got Ink Plus @ $27K, AmX Every Day Pref and I want go get Hilton Honors for him and trying to figure whether an AmX would go through or I have to try Citi. I may be a little reckless at this point.

Any cautions or recommendations (this is it for us until the end of the year).

f0xx

Level 2 Ninja
Let me guess, you didn't freeze IDA and the other one before applying for the Club Carlson?

Annie H.

Egalatarian
Let me guess, you didn't freeze IDA and the other one before applying for the Club Carlson?
No, I did not AND I did know about it. My consultant, a member here with 75 CCs, said she thought I was being too conservative. In the end, I decided I didn't care and went for it, will go to recon, will have to decide what to do if they approve Platinum. Only one other TU HP the entire year.

His Citi Hilton Honors (decided not to do another AmX for him today) was rejected. First time he's ever been rejected, never even had a "we'll let you know." Does it do any good to do a recon call on a rejection? Good thing that happened, I needed to slow down although still on first glass of wine.

Last edited:

pstlb

Level 2 Member
I always end up in trouble if I apply in the late afternoon after that glass of wine. "Why not apply for that fourth card, I was successful on the first three, why not order that $5k of AGC even though I'm going out of town for 2 weeks and won't be able to liquidate." New rule for me: once I open that wine, MS is done for the day.

Annie H.

Egalatarian
I always end up in trouble if I apply in the late afternoon after that glass of wine. "Why not apply for that fourth card, I was successful on the first three, why not order that $5k of AGC even though I'm going out of town for 2 weeks and won't be able to liquidate." New rule for me: once I open that wine, MS is done for the day.
I'm young at heart but my liver is showing its age and just can't process wine efficiently any more so socially I have become a two-fisted drinker. One glass of wine, two glasses of water. Rinse and repeat-- once or twice if I'm on the way home. I'm looking to hire a "water Sherpa" for the DO to keep me on the straight and narrow. Have already spoken to another member who has offered to split the cost.;) Who knows, might even be SO.

That said, your method is fail safe. I dithered all day about Club Carlson and it took glass of wine for me to pull the trigger. I knew about freezing ARS/IDA and decided to go bare. I wish I had known that ARS /ICS keep indefinite track of all MC/VISA applications for a given household (mailing address) (unique to SSN*) AND track applications per phone number. In other words, since SO and I use home phone number on all our apps--there were six tied to it just today. Everything I read about this process makes it sound difficult to get any place with USB as they keep referring to ARS/IDA which shows mostly bogus "fraud" alerts. That said--@fOxx-- I should have frozen, you were right.