American Airline Award Space

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
I'm trying to get from Charlotte to Los Angeles the last week in May or the first week in June.
I'm finding nonstop saver award space using BA Avios for the American flt on several days during that time, but no non-stop award space for any day during those two weeks on American.
My understanding was that BA would only show award space if saver award space was available from AA.
If anybody can shed some light on the situation, I would be grateful, as I'm sort of a novice when it comes to booking award flights. Needless to say, I would rather use my American miles on that particular route then BA Avios points.

Thanks

smittytabb

Staff member
I'm trying to get from Charlotte to Los Angeles the last week in May or the first week in June.
I'm finding nonstop saver award space using BA Avios for the American flt on several days during that time, but no non-stop award space for any day during those two weeks on American.
My understanding was that BA would only show award space if saver award space was available from AA.
If anybody can shed some light on the situation, I would be grateful, as I'm sort of a novice when it comes to booking award flights. Needless to say, I would rather use my American miles on that particular route then BA Avios points.

Thanks
That's truly weird. But given how scarce AA availability has been, I would call AA and see if they can see it. You may be on to something interesting.

TheBOSman

Staff member
I checked CLT-LAX for 5/19-6/8 on both search engines, and the award availability matches on both AA and BA (admittedly very paltry for economy). Any exact date in particular you are looking at?

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
Well, as of last night, 5/28 was showing a non-stop on BA, but only connecting flights at a saver level on AA. (Not at my computer and can't remember the other couple updates where I found this anomaly.)

dukerau

Level 2 Member
Well, as of last night, 5/28 was showing a non-stop on BA, but only connecting flights at a saver level on AA. (Not at my computer and can't remember the other couple updates where I found this anomaly.)
Maybe you were looking at the wrong date on AA? There are 3 seats showing on both aa.com and ba.com for 5/28 7:50am non-stop CLT-LAX.

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
Thanks! I'll check it AA ASAP and see if I can book the reward. While it may be showing on AA this morning, it definitely was not last night..... (Perhaps there is something weird going on with when reward space is loaded into the American website page?)

janetdoe

Level 2 Member
What time were you searching? The AA system is flaky for a couple of hours starting around midnight central time, in my experience. Also, how many passengers were you using for the search?

Skywardbd

Level 2 Member
I always check for just 1 seat on AA. The BA site usually advises of how many seats are actually available.
I was able to see the award space on both sites later in the day.

Wei

Level 2 Member
Does anyone know what happen to JAL website? I can't use it to search AA and other airlines in Oneworld?

Bury

Level 2 Member
IIRC, there was an announcement some time ago that it will be offline for maintenance.
It's offline for literal months if you have a North America account. Strangely this downtime is scheduled to end when AA devaluation hits, and I believe this downtime doesn't effect their non-NA JAL Mileage Bank accounts.

kingabraham3

Level 2 Member
J
I heard you may visit the JAL's AU website (instead of US) to search the tickets.
It won't let me access sites from another region without a profile change, which requires contacting them. Is there another way? I've just been using British to find space, but despite the 1990s look I liked JAL's calendar view option.

Bury

Level 2 Member
AwardNexus has the best UI in my experience but they're a freemium model. Good for a handful of dates to search but if you're looking at complex or wide searches, you've gotta pay.

I did pay for an account to get daily alerts, since I got tired of searching BA every day for an elusive CX F award pre devaluation

falconbeach

Level 2 Member
J

It won't let me access sites from another region without a profile change, which requires contacting them. Is there another way? I've just been using British to find space, but despite the 1990s look I liked JAL's calendar view option.
Haven't gone through all the way to book a flight but have used Qantas to look using their calendar option. Way better than BA but still clunky. People have also told me it doesn't match perfectly with availability so you have to still go back to BA after finding a flight you like.

kingabraham3

Level 2 Member
Haven't gone through all the way to book a flight but have used Qantas to look using their calendar option. Way better than BA but still clunky. People have also told me it doesn't match perfectly with availability so you have to still go back to BA after finding a flight you like.
ok this is actually a pretty great option. thanks!

I don't like the idea of paying per search (as opposed to monthly or yearly plan), especially when it's not all that cheap, so I'm going to stay away from AwardNexus.

Benqzh

Level 2 Member
J

To be honest, I haven't try that, but it is ok for me to just register a new account. OR you may use expertflyer to search for the availiablity of certain flight.