Always have gas receipts while returning car

What The Heck?

Master Blaster
This one is for newbies who don't drive more than ~75 miles in a rental period. I have rented twice in the past two weeks from Budget and Avis and have been asked for receipts both the times even though i refueled fully before returning. Though normally i ensure i get the receipts, it so happened that both the times, there were some issues at the pump and it didnt print the receipt. I even offered to show proof of credit card statement but Avis just wrote me saying that their internal audit department does not accept credit card statements as proof. I am not sure if this is true or not but even when i was honest in refueling, i was looked up at like as if i have made the biggest blunder in my life. The kind of repeated questions from different angles are sure to put anybody with integrity to regretful and unpleasant thought process and if it happens in the early morning, it kills your day. So, either drive more than 75 miles and refuel before giving your vehicle back or have receipts without fail. Hope this helps someone reading this.

Mel

Level 2 Member
Then check your bill 4 times before you leave if it's Avis. I have shown a receipt, told the cashier 3 times and still gotten charged. We have been charged that fuel charge incorrectly 3 times and it is ridiculous. But it's a "convenience" to us. Only 1 of the 4 times, would we have come out ahead on costs if we had use the service versus providing fuel ourselves.

ushdadude

Level 2 Member
Being a rental noob let me see if I understand. If you drive less than 75 miles the gas gauge needles movement isn't perceptual so they assume people don't fill up, hence the request for receipt. correct?

raenye

Lever 2 Membel
Here's what I typically do:
  • When picking up the car, check that the fuel level matches the rental agreement. A handful of times I got cars with 5/8 or even 3/8 but the agreement had these as 8/8.
  • Take a photo of the gas level and odometer when picking up the car, and other when returning. Keep these for 2-3 months.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I always assume I'm going to get screwed hard by the rental car companies. I always check to make sure the car is full before leaving. If I notice any scratches/dings I take a picture of them with my cell phone prior to moving the car. I always fill up my car with a credit card AND save the receipt, so I have 2 records of the transactions. When returning, I make sure to get the receipt and hold onto for at least a few weeks.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Here's what I typically do:
  • When picking up the car, check that the fuel level matches the rental agreement. A handful of times I got cars with 5/8 or even 3/8 but the agreement had these as 8/8.
  • Take a photo of the gas level and odometer when picking up the car, and other when returning. Keep these for 2-3 months.
Does it also help to tack on a picture of the fuel pump after you've completed the transaction (and the receipt won't print?)

ysugar1

Level 2 Member
Just make sure that the rental agreement is right when you take the car out, if its not make them change it.