Alaska Cruises (Big and Small) Help!

ArtVandelay

Hi everyone,

My family and I are interested in doing an Alaskan cruise and I was looking for a little insight from anyone has done one before. We would like to do a smaller boat (our group is 18 years old+) but would consider a bigger boat if it made sense. Time frame would be 7 to 10 days.

Any recommendations, thoughts, advice, etc...?

Thanks!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
All ships are relatively small in Alaska, you won't find the behomoths there.

For me, a cruise like Alaska is even more imperative to have at least a balcony as it allows for opportunities to enjoy the scenery without fighting for space on deck. If money is important then perhaps a lower end cruise line with better cabin is a better ROI here.

ArtVandelay

Thanks Matt.

Money isnt an option. and were defiantly getting a balcony. We've looked in the $1,000+ pp/pd range for 7 to 10 days and Im not really sure if thats the average cost or the higher end. We would prefer to not go "economy" which is why we're looking at some of the smaller boats [no carnival :) ]

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'd look at Celebrity or Holland America for bigger ships that are decent, depending on season it could be $1000-$1800 PP for balcony. Smaller ships (that you'd want to be on) would really stretch the budget I imagine.

madage

Level 2 Member
  • I highly recommend cruising Glacier Bay.
  • We did a 7-day roundtrip from SEA on Norwegian and wished we had more time in Alaska. Maybe consider a one-way cruise.

ArtVandelay

• I highly recommend cruising Glacier Bay.
  • We did a 7-day roundtrip from SEA on Norwegian and wished we had more time in Alaska. Maybe consider a one-way cruise.
Never thought about doing a one way. Good idea. Half of our group lives in Vancouver so its an easy in/out for us.