Alaska B of A rule change?

5280miles

Level 2 Member
Applied for a AS card for both myself and spouse.

Got declined for both. Credit score 800+. Have three open cards. Last applied 8/1 for any card including a AS card.

Called twice and got the same story. "You were declined because you already have one of this product." "Can you please take a look and see what you can do to get me approved?" "We can put in a request but it will be automatically declined by the computer."

Both said the same thing.

Any others have similar experiences? I have been getting these for approved for the last few years. Three or so per year.

Thanks in advance.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Got my 2nd AS card approved about 3hrs ago. Instant approval online, first AS card fairly recently, probably within a year.

5280miles

Level 2 Member
Called again and was told the max number of cards you can have with one product is two. Tried offering to close an account or move credit. Pretty straight forward. "No".

Said the rule change is fairly recent. Somehow I must of missed this.

sriki

Level 2 Member
I have 1 Personal and 1 Biz until last weekend. On Sunday, I applied for another personal and got auto-approved but with a very low CL.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I was able to acquire my third personal card on 12/28 Applied a couple of days before, went to pending, but I waited it out instead of calling. When I checked on 12/28 it was approved. I also have a business account. My previous app was several months ago.

My wife got her second card at the same time, instantly approved with a large credit line.

jlang

Level 2 Member
I got my 6th card yesterday. Only one was open (others had been closed over a period of about 15 months; the currently open card had been opened four months ago). I had applied on Monday, and it went to pending. I didn't call in or anything, and a couple days later, received the email that I had been approved.

ewwiccc

Definitely HUCA... I've had 8 so far this year (2 every 3 months). All were done after freezing my EX and having them pull TU (combined HPs). I usually cancel my previous AS cards though prior to applying (foood for though?)

Disc Golf Guy

Level 2 Member
I applied for 2 cards on same day last month and was approved for both. Neither got instant approval, but both approved after a few days without me calling in. These were my first AS cards ever.

stellar

Level 2 Member
I've also had 8 in year. (every 90 days is a good pattern). I cancel a card and apply for a new one 5 min later.

gmenrule

Level 2 Member
Thanks to this board! just got approved for second AS's for me and the SO with CL 3x what we have now...go figure!

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Just called to cancel my second AS, and the agent emphatically said that B of A really wants more of my business, and that if I change my mind, to be sure to go online and look at the cards that they have to offer. Well, okay, if you insist...

jd13

Level 1.75 Member
In light of this post, I cancelled my one remaining AS card yesterday. Approved for 1 biz and 2 personal today. Might even call back and try to get the 3rd duplicate application pushed through...

Jeff

Level 2 Member
I just applied for the business and personal Alaska cards on the same day and was denied for both. I have one Alaska card which I received last summer and this is my first credit card denial ever. I have 800+ credit score and no defaults. However, the letter I received in the mail says the following: "After careful review, we were unable to approve the Alaska Airline Visa Signature card you requested because you have had an account written off as uncollectable". I have never had an account written off as uncollectable and even pulled the Experian report which they noted was the basis for their review and decision to deny. I even proceed to pull my other two reports and they are fine, no defaults showing. Does anyone know if there could be something out there that doesn't show up on a credit report that they have may have access to? I have always been prompt with any bill or payment so I am stumped. I would accept something like "too many inquiries, etc." but stating I have something as uncollectable does not appear to be true as far as I have been able to research. I plan to call on Monday when they open but has anyone had this experience or have any idea what this means?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I just applied for the business and personal Alaska cards on the same day and was denied for both. I have one Alaska card which I received last summer and this is my first credit card denial ever. I have 800+ credit score and no defaults. However, the letter I received in the mail says the following: "After careful review, we were unable to approve the Alaska Airline Visa Signature card you requested because you have had an account written off as uncollectable". I have never had an account written off as uncollectable and even pulled the Experian report which they noted was the basis for their review and decision to deny. I even proceed to pull my other two reports and they are fine, no defaults showing. Does anyone know if there could be something out there that doesn't show up on a credit report that they have may have access to? I have always been prompt with any bill or payment so I am stumped. I would accept something like "too many inquiries, etc." but stating I have something as uncollectable does not appear to be true as far as I have been able to research. I plan to call on Monday when they open but has anyone had this experience or have any idea what this means?
BOA is the only bank to ever question me about a late rent payment that happened many years ago. Maybe they do care about this kind of stuff, selectively of course.

Other banks? Two late payments in a row (oversight), apply with same bank, instant approval.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Alaska cards: my loving wife had two personal and one biz. Cancelled the oldest card (personal) about a month ago. Then after the 30k bonus came out, she applied online for another personal card last week, and did not get auto-approved. I concluded that we had re-applied to early and figured it would get denied. She was traveling so we didn't bother calling recon.

Fast forward about seven days, and I get a call from FIA saying that my wife may have been a victim of identity theft. Caller is acting cagey and says they can't tell me anything, and asks for my wife to call in. I hang up and call back that number, where they tell me it's BofA card services, and that my wife may have recently applied for a card.

Today my wife called in to confirm. We were prepped with opaque and perhaps creative answers to the question of why she was reapplying so soon. No need. Turns out it was strictly an ID verification. They asked three security questions and approved the card. Said there was a lot of fraud with AS cards on the West Coast, so they are taking this extra precaution.

stellar

Level 2 Member
Alaska cards: my loving wife had two personal and one biz. Cancelled the oldest card (personal) about a month ago. Then after the 30k bonus came out, she applied online for another personal card last week, and did not get auto-approved. I concluded that we had re-applied to early and figured it would get denied. She was traveling so we didn't bother calling recon.

Fast forward about seven days, and I get a call from FIA saying that my wife may have been a victim of identity theft. Caller is acting cagey and says they can't tell me anything, and asks for my wife to call in. I hang up and call back that number, where they tell me it's BofA card services, and that my wife may have recently applied for a card.

Today my wife called in to confirm. We were prepped with opaque and perhaps creative answers to the question of why she was reapplying so soon. No need. Turns out it was strictly an ID verification. They asked three security questions and approved the card. Said there was a lot of fraud with AS cards on the West Coast, so they are taking this extra precaution.
Yeah, I applied for a card 6/5 and had some fraud shenanigans too. They put a hold on the account and did not release it until I called in (I took about a week to call in). All is fine now.

Love that the churn train is going fine , (I've had 8 cards in the past year) and goes much easier if you wait 90 days between apps.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
goes much easier if you wait 90 days between apps.
Thanks for the reminder. I knew that but went for it for some reason. Will now wait 90 on our apps.

(I've had 8 cards in the past year)
How does 8 cards in the past year reconcile with 90 days between apps? Or are you managing cards for more than yourself?

stellar

Level 2 Member
Thanks for the reminder. I knew that but went for it for some reason. Will now wait 90 on our apps.

How does 8 cards in the past year reconcile with 90 days between apps? Or are you managing cards for more than yourself?
Last year I was able to apply for more than one at a time, but that ship has sailed.

stellar

Level 2 Member
I think BoA has started something new.  They offered 5k Alaska miles as retention offer when I called to close card.   I have closed several cards over the past year and I have never received this offer before.

pstlb

Level 2 Member
I just received an AF credit to keep the card. Accepted, but will be cancelling anyway down the road.

smittytabb

Staff member
I think BoA has started something new.  They offered 5k Alaska miles as retention offer when I called to close card.   I have closed several cards over the past year and I have never received this offer before.
I called yesterday and was offered nothing. Hmmm

R.R.

Level 2 Member
I called to cancel a card a few days ago and was offered 2,500. I accepted, but will still have time (6-8 weeks) to receive the miles, and then cancel before the AF.

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Recent BofA AS repeat applicants, have your miles posted? Maybe this language has always been on the insert that comes with new cards but I just noticed it this week: "This promotion is limited to new customers." Whereas that asterisk and language do not appear in the T&C on the signup page.

1. Insert that came with card

BA AS 1.jpg
BA AS 2.jpg

2. Signup page

AS bonus.jpg

Attachments

stellar

Level 2 Member
Recent BofA AS repeat applicants, have your miles posted? Maybe this language has always been on the insert that comes with new cards but I just noticed it this week: "This promotion is limited to new customers." Whereas that asterisk and language do not appear in the T&C on the signup page.

1. Insert that came with card

View attachment 3507
View attachment 3508

2. Signup page

View attachment 3506
Repeat applicant. In the past, the signup bonus miles posted right away, meaning a few days after approval. With the last card, applied for in June, the 30k bonus miles did not post until 4 days after the statement (in July).

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Repeat applicant. In the past, the signup bonus miles posted right away, meaning a few days after approval. With the last card, applied for in June, the 30k bonus miles did not post until 4 days after the statement (in July).
Thank you. We'd experienced the former and now seem to be experiencing the latter.