Airport change from NRT to HND

sriki

Level 2 Member
In a few days, I am traveling from HKG to SFO via HND in U on a AA award. HKG-HND on CX and HND-SFO on JAL. However, I saw F availability on the same flight but failed to book it. I now see another option but this is

HKG - NRT
HND
- SFO

I am traveling on an Indian Passport with a valid USA Visa. I looked up Timatic and found the below info. However, I am not clear if I need to get a visa before I get on a plane. Does anyone have experience moving between airport in Japan?

Tamatic

National India (IN) /Residence USA (US)
Embarkation India (IN) /Transit Japan (JP)Destination USA (US) ALSO CHECK DESTINATION INFORMATION BELOW

Japan (JP)

TWOV (Transit Without Visa):
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets transiting

For details, click here on the same calendar day.
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets for a max.

transit For details, click here time of 72 hours through Tokyo Haneda
(HND) or Osaka Kansai (KIX).
Visa required, except for Holders of onward tickets transiting

to a third country can obtain a Shore Pass/Transit Pass on
arrival for a max. stay of 72 hours (SEE NOTE 46636) if:
For details, click here
NOTE 46636: Shore Pass/Transit Pass is not available for
passengers holding ONLY a US Permanent Resident/Resident
Alien Card (Form I-551) or US "Permit to Re-Enter" (Form
I-327).
Additional Information:

- Holders of a US Permanent Resident/Resident Alien Card (Form
I-551) or US "Permit to Re-Enter" (Form I-327) can make use
of the TWOV facility, provided not leaving the transit area.

- Valid visas in expired passports can be used provided
For details, click here

PainCorp

Level 2.14 on Dining/Travel until 12/15
Do you have the option of running TIMATIC with airports instead of countries? I'm can't check myself right now.

It seems it says Visa required except for holders of onward tickets, for the exception to all the rules about needing a visa.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Do you have the option of running TIMATIC with airports instead of countries? I'm can't check myself right now.

It seems it says Visa required except for holders of onward tickets, for the exception to all the rules about needing a visa.
Unfortunately, I do not see a way to run TIMATIC between airports.

jmw

Level 2 Member
I have no response with respect to the visa issue.

HND-NRT and vice versa eats up time and is a pain in the butt with having to pick up and check in luggage. It also costs a bit of money. Personally, I wouldn't do it again unless I had to, but it's doable.

Pat

Silver Member
Yes. HND is in the city, while NRT is kind of outside the city. I believe this is train to connect the two airports, but you may have to transfer in downtown if I remember correctly. I would not suggest to transit like this unless you are going to stay in Tokyo for a night or so.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
My thought is that you need to treat it like you are visiting Japan. If you need a visa to visit, I'd suggest getting one. Transit requires not leaving the airport but you are leaving NRT to get to HND.

sriki

Level 2 Member
Thanks all. Based on what I heard so far, I think I will stick to my current itinerary to avoid any potential issues at the 11th hour.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
I did the NRT to HND transit before Christmas. Super easy to do, I enjoyed it and would do it again, and HND is much nicer than NRT imho. You can take a bus direct, take a train with one change for a little less cash, or take the suburban train with 2 changes for even less cash. I did the cheap route for fun of being in the city a little, and it was very simple. The buses run direct, counter right outside NRT arrivals door to buy ticket, super easy.

About the visa, I read about it on the FT thread about HND/NRT transfer, almost exact same question. It's in the destination part of FT, not the airline part, for Japan. I would note that NRT arrival immigration had some assistants around the queue, and when I said I was going to HND, the elderly gentleman notated my arrival form and seemed well prepared for it. So if they say you are allowed to do it, I wouldn't doubt that immigration will be prepared for it.

I would say lastly, I'm not sure the HND JL First lounge is as nice as NRT. I was only in J.