Air France

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK, Got an offer from AMEX MR: Spend $1000 on Air France and get 20000 points. figure it is pretty good if not too good to forego. I have to book by 4/14 so for me need to travel by November.

I'm running out of time to travel but hey a week in Paris can't be all bad. Anyway my question is: If I book economy or premium economy what are the chances to upgrade with miles and is this the best course?

AX Platinum gives 5X points on directly booked airfares so not sure which works out best. I need 15K to upgrade Premium to Biz and 30K to upgrade economy.

Is the math straightforward, like how much is a point worth and a mile. My dad used to say I didn't know the worth of a dollar, but now I kind of do.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
One more thing. If I do transfer points to Air France, should I use AX MR's or Chase UR's? Was thinking perhaps AX since Chase can book travel at 1.5 cents so more valuable that way?

MileHighYuppie

Level 2 Member
Curious if you're aware of how many threads you've started vs. how much knowledgeable content you've contributed.

You'd need saver level award space to be available to upgrade to business class, fare code O.

No, miles are not dollars, the closest proxy to a dollar value would be its FMV, provided by a broker.

Use whatever card you want to. Miles earned through legitimate spend are a rounding error.

MR vs. UR: It depends on your personal situation. If I had 10mm MR and 100k UR, I'd probably book it with MR. If you have limitless points and you value UR at 1.5cpp and MR at more than 1.5cpp, then use UR. Personally I'd use TYP.

You ask lots of questions that only you could know the correct answer to as it varies from person to person. Google and research the answers to these questions for your specific situation.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK I get it. If I had answers I wouldn't ask questions. I'm new to this but thanks for telling me so I can get off the site. I didn't realize I had to contribute knowledge. I don't really know anything.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
OK I get it. If I had answers I wouldn't ask questions. I'm new to this but thanks for telling me so I can get off the site. I didn't realize I had to contribute knowledge. I don't really know anything.
I actually tried to delete account before but it never seems to take. Perhaps this time it will.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I actually tried to delete account before but it never seems to take. Perhaps this time it will.
I believe that the self delete option has a cooling off period, so if you log back in before that time it assumes that you've changed your mind and want to stick around.

In terms of questions and answers, it does help to keep some sort of checks and balances approach to this, people have tried to help you quite a lot over these threads, but they aren't getting anything in return if all you do is ask. It's not necessarily a written rule, but something to be mindful of. Just like any relationship there needs to be give and take.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I believe that the self delete option has a cooling off period, so if you log back in before that time it assumes that you've changed your mind and want to stick around.

In terms of questions and answers, it does help to keep some sort of checks and balances approach to this, people have tried to help you quite a lot over these threads, but they aren't getting anything in return if all you do is ask. It's not necessarily a written rule, but something to be mindful of. Just like any relationship there needs to be give and take.
I'd be happy to help people but have no idea what or how to do so! I am an old man with basically zero expertise, pretty new to points/miles and I nearly always stay in Sofitels and fly SQ except now I've had some first and business flights on points/miles.

I kind of misevaluated the purpose of this site. I thought there were all you experts who gave advice to novices like me. Obviously that is incorrect as I have been excoriated by people for "taking" and not giving.

I am old, retired and spend half the year traveling so I guess I have used up my quota of questions. I apologize for this and won't ask any more. Even if I had anything to contribute, how would I know what people needed?

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I'd be happy to help people but have no idea what or how to do so! I am an old man with basically zero expertise, pretty new to points/miles and I nearly always stay in Sofitels and fly SQ except now I've had some first and business flights on points/miles.

I kind of misevaluated the purpose of this site. I thought there were all you experts who gave advice to novices like me. Obviously that is incorrect as I have been excoriated by people for "taking" and not giving.

I am old, retired and spend half the year traveling so I guess I have used up my quota of questions. I apologize for this and won't ask any more. Even if I had anything to contribute, how would I know what people needed?
I just try to help where I can and be aware of my impact. We're all just humans trying to figure stuff out.

If you are an old man who spends so much time traveling you must have learned a lot of wisdom about life that the whipper snappers could benefit from, though educating them is a challenge in and of itself.

craig d

I got the same offer but no way I'm spending 1k on an Air France flight. Maybe there is a way to hack it somehow, but not real sure what it could be. If you have plan where AF would fit in and you could pay a decent rate on a trip or 2 totally 1k, then catch the bonus. Don't just spend to spend though.

Also, you may not have expertise in miles/points but you def have expertise somewhere that fits in these boards. If you're seasoned like you say, you surely know helpful info some of us don't. Matt is right, we are all humans here and we should support each other.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I just try to help where I can and be aware of my impact. We're all just humans trying to figure stuff out.

If you are an old man who spends so much time traveling you must have learned a lot of wisdom about life that the whipper snappers could benefit from, though educating them is a challenge in and of itself.
Maybe I can but isn't this site about points/miles airfares hotels etc. If I knew something I'd be glad to share.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
I got the same offer but no way I'm spending 1k on an Air France flight. Maybe there is a way to hack it somehow, but not real sure what it could be. If you have plan where AF would fit in and you could pay a decent rate on a trip or 2 totally 1k, then catch the bonus. Don't just spend to spend though.

Also, you may not have expertise in miles/points but you def have expertise somewhere that fits in these boards. If you're seasoned like you say, you surely know helpful info some of us don't. Matt is right, we are all humans here and we should support each other.

Interesting. I was never a big fan of Air France so much so that we always flew Lufthansa to Paris just to avoid it, plus of course, my miles went to SQ. Still what is wrong with spending 1000$ and getting 25000 points which would be about enough to upgrade economy to business?

We do have a bunch of plans but we would be happy to go to Paris anytime especially during the opera season.

Someone

Level 2 Member
Maybe I can but isn't this site about points/miles airfares hotels etc. If I knew something I'd be glad to share.
Largely, but it can be pretty wide ranging. Try this... click "new posts" up at the top of the page and look through the first page of posts you get. There's a good chance you'll find something interesting you could contribute to.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Largely, but it can be pretty wide ranging. Try this... click "new posts" up at the top of the page and look through the first page of posts you get. There's a good chance you'll find something interesting you could contribute to.
Thanks I'm trying to give the appearance of helping. All I can do lol

R.R.

Level 2 Member
Also, if you've been to any unique destinations, perhaps post some trip reports? You might be surprised how many people here are interested in visiting a destination that you know all about :)

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Also, if you've been to any unique destinations, perhaps post some trip reports? You might be surprised how many people here are interested in visiting a destination that you know all about :)
We are pretty boring but I did post a link to my blog about a recent Asian trip which included sushi at Jiro, the fastest $320 per person you can ever spend.

smittytabb

Staff member

Being old, retired and spending half the year traveling is your excuse? I might not be as young as you assume but regardless I would never want that to be my excuse for anything. You are being excoriated by people? Seriously? I am not a fan of learned helplessness, but have given you the benefit of the doubt along the way. None of us are experts on everything and most of us have tried very hard to learn as much as we can and share. You can only be "new" to points and miles for so long. I have made this point before. A lot of people are really trying to help you here!

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Being old, retired and spending half the year traveling is your excuse? I might not be as young as you assume but regardless I would never want that to be my excuse for anything. You are being excoriated by people? Seriously? I am not a fan of learned helplessness, but have given you the benefit of the doubt along the way. None of us are experts on everything and most of us have tried very hard to learn as much as we can and share. You can only be "new" to points and miles for so long. I have made this point before. A lot of people are really trying to help you here!
WTF? Nowhere does it say that it is quid pro quo though of course that would be best. I ask what I think I need to know. Benefit of the f...ing doubt? What does that mean? I would share if I knew what it is people want from me. I have posted many things that are answers not questions. You can all go follow Trump and Putin for all I care. I am out!