Air France (non!) Premium Economy

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
When AMEX offered a bunch of free points for spending $1000 on AF, I booked my wife and myself a RT in this class as it directly hit the sweet spot.

Along the way I tried to see if I could upgrade with miles but they only had $5000 per person cash available. When we got to the airport, they offered us $1500 but I couldn't justify it for such a short flight on which we should be sleeping anyway.

We wound up in emergency exit seats which isn't all bad. My wife doesn't like having to stow her purse up top but at least we were a 2 in the 2-3-2 configuration and not direrctly across from the middle row.

I realize that we are spoiled by SQ, EK and even QR(which we didn't actually find so wonderful) Business class, but we have flown Economy on those carriers and the service is just so much better than on AF. No hot towels. No drinks when seated.

On the JFK-CDG leg, they expect you to be sleeping so there is no separate beverage service. they just come by with food and drink in one pass. The food was pretty much inedible and they offered warm champagne in plastic glasses or wine in plastic mini-bottles. It took forever for them to clear the debris so we could try to sleep.

I guess I should have done more research as these seats DO NOT RECLINE! It is impossible to sleep in the odd position in which you are forced to put yourself. All in all it was a crummy experience. I can't imagine how bad coach is on these A380's.

The return flight was better mainly because it isn't sleepy time so non-reclining is not such a big issue. We brought a baguette sandwich and some Reblechon to avoid the crummy food which is served like you would imagine on third world economy flights. This time they did have a foie gras appetizer and a clementine so we did take the tray. There was a separate beverage service as AF has decided that it is not needed flying to France at night but is the other way during daylight.

The entertainment is not the best but I was able to find a few films to watch. Again, SQ and their competitors spoil you and I really don't require 250 movies!

I would never do this Premium Economy again. Next time to Paris I think I'll go back to taking LH as even with the change of planes, you arrive in Paris at a reasonable hour. Our room was not ready anyway so it wouldn't have hurt to travel a couple of more hours.