Advice Needed: Virgin Atlantic Award ticket

PointsNovice

Gold Member
I am trying to book an award ticket for two to Lon for february.
Right now MR points can be transferred to Flying club at 1000 MR: 1350 FC.

I am able to find award seat @ 35K FC + $400 T&S (Economy). For 2 it comes to $52K MR + $800. Direct flight fare is $800 pp.

Is this a good deal? I am flying from BOS and only interested in direct flights?

Also, anybody knows more about their companion fares? It seems like a companion can get a RT for half the miles i.e. 17K

Any better ways to get to Lon on a direct award flight? I only have MRs and some URs.

Thanks in advance.

ctbarron

Level 2 Member
VS's best deals come when they have award ticket sales - anywhere from 5k to 10k off the base 35k award level. If you can wait to book, they usually have these over the winter (Jan or Feb) for travel anytime.

I have family in LHR so I stockpile VS miles because the award availability in economy or PE is excellent out of IAD. But, the surcharges are higher the U.S. carriers (say United). Plus Virgin's service is way better. It's a balance.

I believe you can also transfer MR's to Delta and use those to book VS flights to avoid the fuel surcharges (you'll still pay high taxes). The possible offset it higher miles required and iffy award availability. I would check on these with Delta before transferring anything.

I'm not familiar with companion tickets - I thought those were only on paid tickets, but not sure.