Advice needed for existing booking on BA with US miles

asthejoeflies

Staff member
So I booked a first class round trip back when US wasn't charging fuel surcharges on BA. Of course...on the outbound there has now been an equipment change - only business class on my flight (and all flights from PHL-LHR that day).

If two seats opened up in first - would you all ask US to change it or just suck it up and go business? I'm leaning towards the latter because my guess is they'll try to hit me with the fuel surcharges even if they change for free (I called once when there was no availability, the agent said if there was he'd just do an even exchange, but I'm skeptical).

Does that mean I'm also screwed for the Concorde room on the outbound?

Would love to hear anyone's thoughts, thanks!

John

Level 2 Member
So I booked a first class round trip back when US wasn't charging fuel surcharges on BA. Of course...on the outbound there has now been an equipment change - only business class on my flight (and all flights from PHL-LHR that day).

If two seats opened up in first - would you all ask US to change it or just suck it up and go business? I'm leaning towards the latter because my guess is they'll try to hit me with the fuel surcharges even if they change for free (I called once when there was no availability, the agent said if there was he'd just do an even exchange, but I'm skeptical).

I am most likely late answering but I usually fly Business Class not to spend the extra miles in first class. I find it comfortable enough. I do not think one needs to "suck it up" when flying BC maybe coach :)

smittytabb

Staff member

That's an interesting question. So, did they reticket to put you from F to J? Seems odd, if not. If they did and didn't charge any fees, then I would think you might have your answer. Although with US anything can happen. Once I book a flight with miles on US, I pray not to need to change it for any reason. Once I almost got stranded in Amsterdam because of a change to my ticket. So be sure that what you have now has a ticket number that matches the reservation. Did you get a new ticket number with the change too?

asthejoeflies

Staff member
It was an equipment change, so the fare class changed from Z to U. It all happened automatically. I've called a few times since I wrote this - all agents have said if/when there is BA F space I can switch over for no penalty. But I'm still a bit skeptical...not sure whether to risk it or not. But everything is updated both in US and BA system so I'm not worried about losing the ticket altogether, it's just we have a 6 hour layover in London and I was planning on getting some rest in the Concorde Room.

smittytabb

Staff member
Hopefully you'll be fine. Enjoy your trip! No, you won't lose the ticket...no worries about that, for sure.

smittytabb

Staff member
Yes, the Concorde Room is very nice and the restaurant is very good. Had an excellent English breakfast there on a stopover between Accra and Chicago. Too bad your ticket is no longer in first. Doubt you could talk your way in because it "used to be" first. Hope you eventually get it!