Advice for award booking to Patagonia

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
In celebration of our retirement, we are planning a month-long trip to Patagonia next summer (i.e. January-February 2019) and hope to use points for most of our flights.

We've been holding on to our avios for years, hoping to use them in a way that does not end up with high fees.

Our war chest
o Brit Air Avios: 67,000 (hubby) / 164,000 (me)
o American Airlines: 183,500 / 140,000
o Delta: 75,000 / 140,000 miles *
o Ultimate Rewards: 216,100 (family pool) *
* Prefer to save for another use

Flights we want to book
1. Atlanta or Miami or DFW - Buenos Aires (OW)
2. Buenos Aires - El Calafate (OW)
3. El Calafate - Ushuaia (OW)
4. Punta Arena - Santiago (OW)
5. Santiago - Easter Island (RT)
6. Santiago - Atlanta (OW)

Have anyone advise me how to make this happen? I called Brit Air this evening and they had zilch for even the easiest leg (USA to Buenos Aires). Is it because we are booking so far out or because I had an inexperienced CSR?

Last edited:

stellar

Level 2 Member
Could consider ATL - SCL? There's plenty of availability on AA. 115k for two one ways in J

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
Could consider ATL - SCL? There's plenty of availability on AA. 115k for two one ways in J
115K is a lot of miles for us. We usually travel in economy to stretch our points.

Delta will get us to EZE for 30K a person but I really want to save Delta for another far-flung place.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
Same route is 60k AA for two one ways in economy.
OK. That's good to know. Still wish that Avios weren't so seemingly useless.

I just discovered that the Punta Arenas flight is only USD $42 cash on the Chilean LAN website. I will happily pay cash at that price!

knick1959

Level 2 Member
OK. That's good to know. Still wish that Avios weren't so seemingly useless.
Cheap flights are good, but you still should be able to leverage your BA Avios, too. Interesting, I have a similar trip in my notes that I have postponed twice now. Well, the SCL and IPC (Easter Island) parts. In there, a month or 2 back, I had found a flight from SCL to IPC in J for 37.5 Avios + 12.58. 5 hours and 55 minutes. No coach awards were available. There may still be time to get a LAN card to see if that is enough miles for coach ... can you burn 75k each for this J flight for a RT? This flights is still available on the BA web site (checking for 10/13 ... January is still too far out it seems).

My notes say flights out are on Sat, Mon, Wed and Thu while flights back are on Wed, Thu, Fri and Sun. In short, you may have to check different days. 12/13 shows *TWO* flights available also only in J. 7 seats on each flight! Jan doesn't show anything ... yet.

I think you are still too far out to get a serious picture. Keep looking and play with dates in Dec just to see. We skipped around Peru and Ecuador on Avios a couple of years back and I think many of your shorter hops should be doable. Very low redemption for coach seats. I made notes on how odd the boarding process is on LAN but I'd have to re-read.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
There may still be time to get a LAN card to see if that is enough miles for coach
Wow, my notes go on and on. Some time back an RT award [EDIT] in coach on LAN was 42k (km) ... they've converted to miles but I don't know how their new system works. Cash price was $450. Perhaps a LAN card each and some quick spend? Well, see if Avios get you around well enough, but a LAN card could supplement your stash.

J tickets were more than double that at 94k with a cash price of $920. I'm not sure how up-to-date this info is, but it should give you an idea.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
All great advice and much appreciated. I will keep trying.

Our dates are only slightly flexible because we are trying to get to some penguin colony while the chicks are still young.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I have taken a very satisfying baby step by booking a pair of non-stop seats [AA/BritAir, JFK-EZE (Buenos Aires) during prime summer season] for 25,000 Avios + $5.60 per ticket. The cash price on each economy seat is a whopping $2217. What an excellent use of Avios!

ExpertFlyer was a big help. I am slowing learning the way this works. Still unable to decipher how to find award availability for LATAM or Aerolineas, since their inventory isn't loaded into ExpertFlyer. But I shall study on.

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
I have taken a very satisfying baby step by booking a pair of non-stop seats [AA/BritAir, JFK-EZE (Buenos Aires) during prime summer season] for 25,000 Avios + $5.60 per ticket. The cash price on each economy seat is a whopping $2217. What an excellent use of Avios!

ExpertFlyer was a big help. I am slowing learning the way this works. Still unable to decipher how to find award availability for LATAM or Aerolineas, since their inventory isn't loaded into ExpertFlyer. But I shall study on.
You can use LATAM website as well. Search for award tickets on LATAM in general if the lowest price award is available on the LATAM site then you should be able to call and use your Avios to book starting at just 4500 avios one way for shorthaul trips under 600 miles. Was able to use this a bunch during my S. America trip. Lima-Cusco, Mendoze -BZE, BZE- Iguazu

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
You can use LATAM website as well. Search for award tickets on LATAM in general if the lowest price award is available on the LATAM site then you should be able to call and use your Avios to book starting at just 4500 avios one way for shorthaul trips under 600 miles. Was able to use this a bunch during my S. America trip. Lima-Cusco, Mendoze -BZE, BZE- Iguazu
That's exactly what I am hoping to do. Thank you for confirming that it can be down in South America.

I know that Avios are best used for short-haul but even with the long JFK-EZE leg, it was the most economical way to go. I can reposition to JFK with JetBlue for few points. There was no Class T availability on American and I want to save my Delta points for airports not served by other airlines.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I am in Buenos Aires now. Made our flights 11 months out using AA on LATAM. Flew PHL-MIA-SCL-EZE J class for 57,500 AA. First between PHL-MIA on AA. I stumbled through this award booking thing on my own and someone else may have been able to do better. The only downside was having to leave terminal in MIA and go back through security to get to LATAM. Then TSA would not accept paper OR mobile boarding pass and a trip to the LATAM desk was required.

Try using airport code BUE for Buenos Aires. It helped me when booking domestic.

I used Thank You points for domestic flights on both LATAM and Aerolineas. I had them and it was easy (lazy).

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I am in Buenos Aires now. Made our flights 11 months out using AA on LATAM. Flew PHL-MIA-SCL-EZE J class for 57,500 AA. First between PHL-MIA on AA. I stumbled through this award booking thing on my own and someone else may have been able to do better. The only downside was having to leave terminal in MIA and go back through security to get to LATAM. Then TSA would not accept paper OR mobile boarding pass and a trip to the LATAM desk was required.

Try using airport code BUE for Buenos Aires. It helped me when booking domestic.

I used Thank You points for domestic flights on both LATAM and Aerolineas. I had them and it was easy (lazy).
Thanks, Suzie! This is inspirational.

I too am trying to book flights 11 months out right now. I was wondering if I was crazy but you've validated my sense that the few good seats are grabbed early on.

How Buenos Aires?

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I’m not a city person but hubby likes it. I’m looking forward to FTE and Chile. Mt Fitz Roy and iguazu.

Hoosier

Its also worth checking on how you can use AA miles within Argentina and within Chile... If I remember correctly from our trip 18 months ago, you can get one way flights within each country for 6000 miles. Avios may be cheaper for a short segment, but for getting down to the southern tip of these countries, the AA pricing may be better, especially if connections are required... Both obviously depend on LATAM availability.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
Just booked AEP (Buenos Aires) to FTE (El Calafate) for 12,500 Delta skymiles per OW ticket. Airline is Aerolineas Argentinas. Cash value = $250. I consider this a decent, not extraordinary, redemption.

FindAWay

Level 2 Member
Mrs. FindAWay and I did a similar trip for our Honeymoon in 2012. Things may have changed since then, but, I recall there being difficulties trying to bring an individual's rental car between Chile and Argentina on land crossings and taking buses/private transfers was recommended. If you're planning to go to Punta Arenas to get to the primary area of Torres del Paine, keep in mind that you can do it by bus from El Calafate (like we did).

We flew MDW-ATL-SCL.
We only spent a day in Santiago
Then, we took a bus from Santiago to Mendoza (this was actually awesome).
We did a full day winery tour around Mendoza
Next, we flew MDZ-AEP-FTE
We drove our rental car directly from FTE to El Chalten (this was our favorite destination of the trip. We hiked to Fitz Roy.
Then, we drove back from El Chalten to El Calafate.
We hiked on Perito Moreno, did typical El Calafate things.
Next, we took a 4WD bus from El Calafate to the EcoCamp in Torres del Paine
We hiked around Los Tres Torres
Then, we took a bus back to El Calafate and flew FTE-AEP
We spent 3 days exploring Buenos Aires (including a day trip to Colonia del Sacramento).
We flew home EZE-ATL-MDW.

Feel free to reach out with any specific questions - we had a wonderful time and are considering recreating the trip at some point in the future.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
We picked up our rental car in FTE and drove to Torres del Paine. We didn't have any problems with border crossings. As long as your car is "equipped" for Chile and you have the paperwork from the rental co, it shouldn't be a problem. This was a month ago.

Agree with @FindAWay - El Chalten was our favorite hiking destination, more so than Torres del Paine. Did the hike to Fitz Roy also. Stunning.

I would say consider going to the Brazil side of Iguazu Falls if that is on your agenda. (But, don't skip the Argentinian side!)

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
We have booked all our flights and I am extremely pleased. I eked out a savings of 95% over the retail cost of flights and that included paying cash for flights that were so cheap that it wasn't worth using miles. One surprise in this whole process is the relatively low cost of internal flights in Argentina and Chile.

flights_Pat2.jpg

These are the costs for 2 people. So all transportation totaled <$260 per person.

D_Pst_2.png

Panache

Level 2 Member
@FindAWay: This sounds like a great itinerary! SO and I are also thinking of going in Feb or March of 2019. How many days did you spend in each place?

We flew MDW-ATL-SCL.
We only spent a day in Santiago
Then, we took a bus from Santiago to Mendoza (this was actually awesome).
We did a full day winery tour around Mendoza
Next, we flew MDZ-AEP-FTE
We drove our rental car directly from FTE to El Chalten (this was our favorite destination of the trip. We hiked to Fitz Roy.
Then, we drove back from El Chalten to El Calafate.
We hiked on Perito Moreno, did typical El Calafate things.
Next, we took a 4WD bus from El Calafate to the EcoCamp in Torres del Paine
We hiked around Los Tres Torres
Then, we took a bus back to El Calafate and flew FTE-AEP
We spent 3 days exploring Buenos Aires (including a day trip to Colonia del Sacramento).
We flew home EZE-ATL-MDW.

Panache

Level 2 Member
I do have an award booking question: On United I see some legs IAD-SCL with Avianca, but they don't show on the ANA search engine. I would like to use ANA miles since it's only 80 K miles in business. Does one need to call in or do they block Avianca availability?

FindAWay

Level 2 Member
@FindAWay: This sounds like a great itinerary! SO and I are also thinking of going in Feb or March of 2019. How many days did you spend in each place?
Fewer days than we would have liked! My memory is something like the following:

-Santiago - less than 24-hours (1 night)
-Mendoza - 1 1/2 days (2 nights)
-El Calafate - 2 1/2 days (3 nights)
-El Chalten - 1 1/2 days (2 nights)
-Torres del Paine EcoCamp/Tour/Hiking - 3 days (3 nights)
-Buenos Aires - 3 days (2 or 3 nights)

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
On our trip, we have planned 3 or 4 nights at most stops. Since this is our retirement bash, time is not a limiting factors. We have only 3 nights at El Chalten, which gives us only 2 full days to hike.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Our agenda was:

3 nights EZE
3 nights Torres del Paine
1 night FTE - passing through (we drove)
2 nights El Chalten
2 nights FTE
3 nights IGR

Our itinerary goal was to see EZE, hike in TDP and El Chalten, visit Perito Moreno glacier and Iguazu Falls.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Our agenda was:

3 nights EZE
3 nights Torres del Paine
1 night FTE - passing through (we drove)
2 nights El Chalten
2 nights FTE
3 nights IGR

Our itinerary goal was to see EZE, hike in TDP and El Chalten, visit Perito Moreno glacier and Iguazu Falls.
You know. You are always 2 steps ahead of me :).

Did you need 3 nights at the falls? What did you figure, 1 full day in each side, or did you did you find other things to do in the area? What's the minimal amount of time required to see both sides, in your mind?

In a fuzzy plan of my own, I'm not sure whether to make EZE part of my plan or not. Was it worth it (all opinions welcome)?

Thanks.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
Here's our itinerary in more detail. We are covering both Argentina and Chile in our trip. As I've said before, our trip is extra long because we will have just retired:
  • 1 night: Buenos Aires
  • 4 nights: El Calafate
  • 3 nights: El Chalten
  • 4 nights: Ushuaia
  • 4 nights: Australis cruise (Ushuaia to Punta Arenas)
  • 4 nights: Punta Arenas
  • 3 nights: Isla Chiloe
  • 2 nights: Puerto Varas
  • 4 nights: Huerquehue National Park, near Pucon
  • 5 nights: Santiago, includes day trip to Valparaiso

Last edited:

Panache

Level 2 Member
We just booked for mid-Feb to early-March IAD-SCL-IAD with Copa in Business. Kind of a lot of miles for crappy non lie flat seats but we had over 400 K Chase UR so didn't feel too bad.

Now time to fill in the smaller leg flights. Too bad we don't have as much time as Jane :)

kristian

Level 2 Member

Did you need 3 nights at the falls? What did you figure, 1 full day in each side, or did you did you find other things to do in the area? What's the minimal amount of time required to see both sides, in your mind?

In a fuzzy plan of my own, I'm not sure whether to make EZE part of my plan or not. Was it worth it (all opinions welcome)?

Thanks.
I don't think 3 nights is necessary. But I do think a full day for each side is. Whatever works out logistically to get that is what I would recommend.

Suzie

Level 2 Member

Thanks.
The itinerary was based on flights. Arriving EZE at 6:40 PM left little time for sightseeing, flight from AEP-FTE left 5:30 AM - so we were off to the airport at 3:30 AM, picking up rental car and driving to Torres del Paine. So only 2 full days in EZE - that said, one day would have been enough for me, but spouse wanted to explore more so we compromised on that. I wanted to spend the second day in Colonia, but got voted down on that too. As I usually get my way in trip planning - I gave in on that one . . . . ;)

Same with the three nights at the falls. The first night our flight arrived IGR at 9:10 PM. As we stayed at the Melia (formerly SPG - we used points), we were one foot on the path when it opened at 8:00 AM hiking up to the waterfalls (along with a few tourists from Belgium). Getting there before the train was absolutely worth it - we enjoyed great access to views of the falls without juggling for position. We came back to the hotel at lunch for some A/C and beer - then headed back out to the park. It was convenient to be staying in the park. We did all but one of the trails that day. Day 2 we went to Brazil (we hired a driver through the hotel $100 USD) and he waited 5 hours for us. It takes 45-60 minutes to drive from the Melia to the entrance to the Brazil park entrance. So he was with us for 7 hours. He was really helpful - he guided us through the line to purchase our tickets - and got us to the right line for the bus to the falls. We were on the first bus to the falls. It was a bit chaotic at the entrance - so we appreciated his help. He also took us through the border crossing - you have to get out of your car and go into the building to process. He seemed to know which agent to go to - one of the agents was hassling people a bit - so we got through that quickly too. That afternoon we finished up the last hike on the Argentinian side after more A/C and beer. We left the next morning for our flight back to the US. Given our flight times, I would still do the same. We had 1.5 days Argentinian side and .5 day in Brazil.

As an aside, we were pleasantly surprised with Melia. I had read that it was rundown, monkeys running amuck, etc. Our room was clean and large enough, and while not new, it was not rundown. We did not see one monkey. The staff was superb, and even though we were told no SPG status would be recognized, we were given full buffet breakfast eash morning with made to order eggs. The food was good. The lobby bar and patio have a view of the falls and it's a nice place to relax. The first day we were there, I was a little surprised at all the undercover security. Afterwards we learned that the Minister of Finance for The World Bank was sitting next to us on the patio. Gee, and I thought they were there for us . . . :D

kristian

Level 2 Member
WRT EZE/BsAs, it depends on if you like cities. As far as cities go, I love BsAs. It's got history, architecture, culture, food etc. Keep in mind that it is a trek from EZE to BsAs. If you don't care for city stuff skip it.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I agree - if you're not a city person, as I'm not - skip it . There is so much natural beauty in Argentina.

I never felt unsafe, but there is a large police presence throughout the city. In the area we stayed, Palermo Soho, there were police on every corner.