AAdvantage rep sees CX availability that BA didn't

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
My usual method to use AA miles is on CX. Since the AA site doesn't show CX flights, I use BA.com to look for seats, note the flight numbers, and then call it in as you have to do with CX. As far as I can tell, BA.com has shown me accurate CX info. The AA rep is happy that I have the flight numbers, and often does not find the flights unless I tell her.

But today I was surprised that when I called to book an award, the AAdvantage rep could see a better connection than I could. It's just a two-flight award, SGN-HKG-EWR, all on CX. On many weekdays there was an 11 a.m. departure. But on the day I wanted, a Saturday, there was only a 6 a.m. departure. I've been watching it awhile, and assumed that there was either no Saturday flight or it's full. So I was aware of the flight and thought there were simply not any seats, but when I called she said, to paraphrase, Would you rather take flight 766 with the 11 a.m. departure and the short layover? I was kind of surprised, but happily took it when she offered me that choice.

Maybe not a big reveal here, but just sharing that instead of assuming that you see the only flights available with CX, you might as well ask if there's anything better when you call since you have to do it on the phone anyways. If I just read the numbers I saw on BA.com (like usual) and she was not proactive, I would have been stuck with an extra 7 hours in HKG.

Last edited:

Anh

Level 2 Member
Usually when looking for redeeming AA awards, BA has shown me accurate CX info as far as I'm aware, and the AA rep is happy that I have the flight numbers. But today I was surprised that when I called to book (no CX online) the AAdvantage rep could see a better connection than I could. It's not an illegal or short connection that the computer would rule out, because I do see that flight on other days but not on the day I wanted to fly. So I was aware of the flight and thought there were simply not any seats, and happily took it when she offered me that choice.

Maybe not a big reveal here, but just sharing that might as well ask if there's anything better when you call in if you have to call anyways.
Not sure if I understand it correctly. Did you search for that particular (non-stop) leg on BA and no availability showed up, or did you search for point A- point B, which had a CX leg in between and BA failed to showed availability yet AA did

TheBOSman

Staff member
Maybe not a big reveal here, but just sharing that instead of assuming that you see the only flights available with CX, you might as well ask if there's anything better when you call since you have to do it on the phone anyways. If I just read the numbers I saw on BA.com (like usual) and she was not proactive, I would have been stuck with an extra 7 hours in HKG.
The BA website is probably about 98% accurate when it comes to seeing what AA's agents can see. However, I've learned to lead the agents more than direct them. I'll usually ask for endpoint to endpoint first, then lead them where I want to go and how I want to get there if they don't have any options. Also tells me (since I'm often booking complex awards) if the agent really knows what they are doing or not...