AA Status Challenge

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
How often do the public/targeted ones like September's come around? I'd love to get Gold efficiently and end this 21 day nonsense. A couple hours of digging into the world of status and I'm slightly less lost than when I started. Do most people just try to capitalize on mistake/sweetspot fares to get status?

smittytabb

Staff member
How often do the public/targeted ones like September's come around? I'd love to get Gold efficiently and end this 21 day nonsense. A couple hours of digging into the world of status and I'm slightly less lost than when I started. Do most people just try to capitalize on mistake/sweetspot fares to get status?
I am sure you have seen this:
Code:
http://www.flyerguide.com/Challenge_(AA)
In terms of getting status year to year, at least with the current system, you can capitalize on sweet spot fares. Another thing to consider is using things like FlexPerks and Citi TY points to pay for some of your flights.

henrygeorge

Level 2 Member
I am sure you have seen this:
Code:
http://www.flyerguide.com/Challenge_(AA)
In terms of getting status year to year, at least with the current system, you can capitalize on sweet spot fares. Another thing to consider is using things like FlexPerks and Citi TY points to pay for some of your flights.
I did find that site and found it helpful. I do plan on using the wealth of TYP Citi is throwing at us. I'm hoping USB grants me a FlexPerks. I tried in March but they only granted me a measly 3k line. I mainly want to leverage FP with the CP.

Code:
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/967395-help-desk-aa-elite-status-challenge-closed-hard-end-23-dec-2015-a.html
Indicates there are no more challenges for 2015. Do these only come around like a month or two out of the year?

smittytabb

Staff member
That's interesting. It used to be you could just call anytime to enroll in one. I haven't followed this as I have been EXP for several years now and work on that each year. Once you are EXP, you cannot really do it unless you drop down one year. I wonder if from this, they may limit it more than they used to going into the future. I know the standard challenges have been around for awhile. Also there usually are targeted challenges that are much more lucrative and those are not predictable. Wish I had more concrete data for you.

nickel285

Level 2 Member
Does anyone have any info on how status challenges will work in 2016? I tried calling the AAdvantage desk but they aren't open on the weekends.

HGF

Level 2 Member
Cost and time frame I believe did not change, but since EQPs are gone, you need EQMs now. 7k for gold and 12.5k for plat. These challenges are much easier and cheaper than the previous ones since you can fly deep discount Y and still get 1 EQM instead of the previous 0.5 EQP.

damanjeff6

Level 2 Member
I just got this in my email. Probably targeted?

There's never been a better time to fly with us.

Reach American Airlines AAdvantage elite status even faster when you fly American and other select airlines*.

Earn the required Elite Qualifying Miles (EQMs) between the date you register and May 31, 2016, and you'll receive status through February 28, 2017.

Elite status level - Elite Qualifying Miles needed
  • Executive Platinum - 35,000
  • Platinum - 12,500
  • Gold - 7,000
Once you qualify, you'll enjoy the wide range of elite benefits that come with status.

Sign up before you travel and no later than February 22, 2016. Use promotion code HVC1Q.​

I don't have status right now with AA so this is great for me :)

nickel285

Level 2 Member
What's the difference between this targeted offer and the one AA offers for those who call in and ask? Is it the ability to reach the EXP level? When I called in to inquire the about the possibility of a challenge I was given the same EQM levels for Gold and Plat.

damanjeff6

Level 2 Member
What's the difference between this targeted offer and the one AA offers for those who call in and ask? Is it the ability to reach the EXP level? When I called in to inquire the about the possibility of a challenge I was given the same EQM levels for Gold and Plat.
I didn't have to pay a fee for the challenge and I don't think there's a public status challenge for EXP right now.

Anyone know if the Citi Executive or the Aviator Silver CC EQM's count for a challenge?

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Those EQM's did not count for last years challenges, whether that is different now or not I do not know.

I didn't have to pay a fee for the challenge and I don't think there's a public status challenge for EXP right now.

Anyone know if the Citi Executive or the Aviator Silver CC EQM's count for a challenge?