AA miles for rental cars when cost is high

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
if you have collected a lot of aa miles with the recent AA exec card bonanza, then head over to https://www.useaamiles.com/carhotel/

I just booked a 4 day rental car for labor day weekend in seattle for 14,500 miles. The prices on other websites were upwards of $400. Even if they were $200, I'd book with my aa miles as I have acquired them for a very low cost. I'd rather put the money towards MS fees.

I'm embarassed to admit, I didn't know about this and had not used this to my advantage till date.

EDIT: I finished a rental this weekend and have to say it is not as good of a deal as I thought. Although it says, paid in full on the voucher, I found that I had to pay the taxes at the rental car center. I paid $36 for two days at PDX. So it wasn't really a deal. Make sure you knwo what the airport taxes are and see if this is really a deal.

Def. check prices with costcotravel and capital one travel.

Last edited:

LowHassleMS

Level 2 Member
Basic Terms & Conditions:

• Prices are guaranteed upon booking.
  • There are no blackout dates.
  • AAdvantage car & hotel awards are available to all members as mileage-only. Your AAdvantage miles will be deducted at the time of purchase.
  • You may make changes to your reservation if the hotel or car providers allow it, but a $30 USD and other change fees may apply and changes must be made 24 hours in advance of check-in. Car & hotel awards do not cover any incidentals or optional items. You'll pay the hotel property or car rental company directly for these charges. Car rental rates also do not include some taxes, service charges or other additional fees.
  • If your travel dates are between December 17 and January 3, your transaction is non-refundable.
  • AAdvantage Car and Hotel awards can be canceled and refunded if the request to cancel is made 5 or more days prior to your travel start date for a $150.00 USD fee payable by credit card. However, no refund is allowed for non-refundable/advance purchase room categories or if your travel is between December 17 and January 3. Cancellation within 4 days of your travel start date is non-refundable and the AAdvantage miles will not be reinstated. A cancellation is defined as a complete cancellation of the purchase, change of name, changes to origin or destination cities, or changing from the initially booked hotel or car company to a different hotel or car company.
  • When using a car award, you must return the car to the same location where you picked it up. Car and hotel awards purchased through this site do not qualify to earn AAdvantage miles from American Airlines, even for portions of payment paid with cash. Credit earned in any loyalty, recognition, or rewards program is at the discretion of the car rental company or hotel property.
Hotel and Car Terms and Conditions

• Redemptions must be made through the website http://carhotel.useAAmiles.com.
  • Reservations may be made using AAdvantage miles or a combination of AAdvantage miles and cash. The cash portion must be paid via a major credit card.
  • For Customer Service within the United States, call 1-800-349-3244.
  • If applicable, any fees or redemption-associated charges will appear on your credit card statements as "American Airlines Vacations".
  • Car and hotel awards are available to all AAdvantage members. American Airlines reserves the right to revise Member eligibility. Each Member must have sufficient AAdvantage miles in his or her account to complete the AAdvantage miles portion of his or her transaction.
  • Certain members may receive preferential pricing. Pricing is subject to change without notice.
  • Redemptions may only be made from a single account per transaction. You may not combine AAdvantage miles from two or more accounts on a single transaction.
  • Credit earned in any loyalty, recognition, or rewards program is at the discretion of the hotel property or car rental company.
Car Rental Terms & Conditions

• Car rental reservations are available through preferred suppliers of American Airlines Vacations and may not be available for all locations and destinations.
  • Car rental reservations may be made using AAdvantage miles or a combination of AAdvantage miles and cash. The cash portion must be paid via a major credit card.
  • If your travel dates are between December 17 and January 3, your car rental reservation is non-refundable.
  • Car rentals reservations are refundable if the request to cancel is made 5 or more days prior to your travel start date and you are not traveling between December 17 and January 3. Cancellation under these circumstances will be allowed a full refund for a $150 USD fee payable by credit card.
  • If you cancel your car rental reservation within 4 days of your travel start date, your transaction is non-refundable and the AAdvantage miles may not be reinstated.
  • Changes to your reservation may be made up to 24 hours prior to pickup subject to availability and the policies of the car rental company. Changes are subject to a $30 USD change fee, payable with a major credit card. Change fees are subject to change without notice. Changes may also be subject to additional fees and/or charges for each rental day by the car rental company. Payment for such additional fees and/or charges must be made via a major credit card at time of change. AAdvantage miles and cash cannot be refunded for any change to your reservation. In some instances, changes will not be available or permitted. To make a change, call Customer Service at 1-800-349-3244 within the United States.
  • Car rental rates do not include taxes, service charges or other additional fees. Charges for optional services such as insurance waivers, additional insurance, fuel, additional or underage drivers, special equipment, car class upgrades, and so forth are not included in your original car rental reservation and must be paid in currency, not AAdvantage miles, via a major credit card or similar form of payment, as required by the car rental company. Please verify local rental requirements directly with the car rental company prior to travel.
  • Car rental reservations are based on 24-hour periods and may be subject to additional fees depending on time of return, including but not limited to hourly rental charges which will be billed directly to you by the car rental company. Payment for such additional fees must be made in currency, not AAdvantage miles, via a major credit card, as required by the car rental company.
  • Renters must be 25 years of age and have a valid driver's license, major credit card, and good driving record. Drivers must present valid driver's license. Please verify local rental requirements directly with the car rental company prior to travel for US and International rentals.
  • One way rentals are not permitted. When using a car award, you must return the car to the same location where you picked it up.
  • Special requests made to car rental companies are on a request-only basis and cannot be guaranteed. Fees and charges may apply, depending on the service request.
  • Credit earned in any loyalty, recognition, or rewards program is at the discretion of the car rental company.