AA Awards to Switzerland EXCLUDING BA?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I think this is the best place to put this.

My wife asked if we could go to Switzerland next spring as opposed to the domestic trips we were considering. Well yes! We should have enough miles. And we have options. But I ASSUMED AA would be at the top of the possibles list since I have gobs of miles. Right now they are at the bottom. First I was after an RT CLE to GVA but willing to position from CLE to ORD or east coast. Then looked at open jaws using Geneva and Zurich.

I am looking for next May or June, so this is shorter notice than I usual look for (usually planning 11 months out). And I'm also in or approaching tourist season. Perhaps that's part of my problem.

Searching for AA awards in J there are plenty. Picking some prototype flights, I'm looking at a "reasonable" amount of miles (230 RT for 2) but these are mostly ugly timed BA flights. The fees (fuel surcharges)? $2066. This doesn't sound like a deal at all.

Is there some carrier that is an AA partner that I can check independently? I'm not interested in BA flights. I'm happy to call in, but I need to find the flights I want first. I guess I'm too dependent on the airline search tools and I need to branch out.

Wondering if gobs of AA miles aren't as valuable as I thought.

AS has an Iceland Air option that sounds interesting for at least one of the ways ... but I'm holding onto my AS miles as a backup fund for a trip to S. Africa that I can't book until next month (MR->Aeroplan miles primary choice).

Thanks in advance.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
Iberia is a good ride TATL and while there are some fees, they are not nearly as wild as BA. If you can get to ORD you could go ORD-MAD-GVA, all on IB. Using AA miles that's 57.5k in J. Don't cut the connection is MAD too close.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Thanks guys. I would not have thought to check Iberia ... but that's why I asked. I'll look at this option tonight.

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
For AA you could fly the above, also Air Berlin has a decent J product from what I've read. Finnair has new 350s but I don't know if they're flying them to the US yet.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
So I was able to search using the Iberia web site and it does appear that there are many options routing through Madrid. Even better, perhaps, was that using Iberia Avios they quoted 43k + $120 per person in business. I've got plenty of BA avios for this (one way) AND I've had a basic Iberia account for awhile ... even have 50 in it to start (don't remember how). Per an older FM blob post, you can transfer between with some luck.

This simply provides another options. I'll assume (and prepare to be corrected now or on a call to AA) that the fees are similar if using AA miles. MUCH better than BA if that's the case.

How much time is "enough" for a MAD connection? All options leave out of ORD (didn't look for others, I'll read up), so I'd have to position there, too. It certainly didn't like CLE as a start!

I tried searching Air Berlin using a couple larger US airports to start and found nothing on any search. I'll google their routes tomorrow, too.

Thanks again everyone!

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
Time to hit the research, amigo. Topics include:

1. IB flights from US other than via ORD. Check NY and Miami (may be seasonal).

2. Cost in miles and fees using AA or IB.

3. How to transfer Avios from BA to IB and what is the haircut?

4. Connections at MAD when both flights are on IB.

5. Compare Air Berlin to IB for quality of ride and ease of itinerary and availability. I've heard quality is ok but nit great, but check recent reports.