AA 10% Award Redemption Bonus

smittytabb

Staff member
OK, so it took me awhile to have it sink in that having two AA Platinum cards (one MC and one VISA) still only meant a total of 10% back on a maximum of 100K redeemed miles per year. I had so many conversations with CSR who thought you kept track of one, got the 10% and then put it away and used the other one. Wrong. Only ONE 10% redemption up to 100K (10K miles) per year with Citi AA cards.

OK, fast forward to 2015 and now there are both Citi AA cards and the Barclays AA Aviator cards. My assumption was that with two different banks, there would now be 10% from Citi and 10% from Barclays.

So I tested it out yesterday, buying multiple one ways for one of my daughters using the Citi card for one set and the Barclays for the other. I had been told that you actually don't have to USE the cards, you just have to HAVE them, but I used them anyway for the sake of experimentation.

So, I redeemed a total of 115K miles, but still only got a total of 10K miles back and divided up thusly. Not sure what to make of it. Are we still only getting 10K divided between Citi and Barclay for AA mileage redemptions? If so, that is disappointing. Here is what my statement looks like. It equals 10K max even though I booked 115K miles...

BARCLAYS 10% AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS 2015 05/25/15 0 1,000
CITI 10% AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS 2015 05/25/15 0 1,000
BARCLAYS 10% AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS 2015 05/25/15 0 3,750
CITI 10% AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS 2015 05/25/15 0 3,750
CITI 10% AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS 2015 05/25/15 0 250
BARCLAYS 10% AWARD REDEMPTION BONUS 2015 05/25/15 0 250

TheBOSman

Staff member
So, I redeemed a total of 115K miles, but still only got a total of 10K miles back and divided up thusly. Not sure what to make of it. Are we still only getting 10K divided between Citi and Barclay for AA mileage redemptions? If so, that is disappointing. Here is what my statement looks like. It equals 10K max even though I booked 115K miles...
Yep, that's how it working out for better or worse.

Sadly, AA has plugged the holes where you could get more than 10k in a year if you had multiple cards :D.

smittytabb

Staff member
Yep, that's how it working out for better or worse.

Sadly, AA has plugged the holes where you could get more than 10k in a year if you had multiple cards :D.
I was just sure at some point I had gotten more than one set of 10% miles back. Those hole pluggers sure have been busy lately. Hard to stay ahead of them!

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
It's interesting that your redemptions were 50/50 to your two cards. I did some redemptions last week and despite having Citi & Barclay, all my 10% bonus were marked as Barclay. I assumed that it was b/c I had Barclay first.

smittytabb

Staff member
It's interesting that your redemptions were 50/50 to your two cards. I did some redemptions last week and despite having Citi & Barclay, all my 10% bonus were marked as Barclay. I assumed that it was b/c I had Barclay first.
I had Citi way before Barclay. Did you use more than 50K or less? No idea how this works.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
I redeemed 67.5k for the recent JAL F availability. 3,375 Citi + 3,375 Barclay Bonus. From what I've read elsewhere it seems pretty consistent that the bonus cap is enforced to 10k

pier11

Level 2 Member
Got 10% back as Citi credit even though I've converted the only AA card I had to Double Cash several months ago. Nice.

47.5k redemption.

Mountain Trader

Level 2 Member
Has anyone wound up with two AA accounts due to not combining their US Air and AA accounts after the merger? If so, I wonder if the 10k discount might apply to each.