A scene from Planes, Trains & Automobiles

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
An MS tale..

With the flip of the calendar, I figured I'd do a short MS run sometime over the coming weekend, but then the weather report started turning south quickly, so I decided to do it last night. As soon as I jumped in the car, I had an uneasy feeling that something wouldn't turn out well...did you ever have one of those runs that you thought would take an hour or so and five hours later, you're dragging in the door and just looking to crash?

The traffic was heavy and slow, the clouds opened up and the rains came thick and heavy. I finally got to Walmart...swiped my debit card, invalid PIN, tried again, same message, left dejected, moved onward...made it to Target - immediately knew things were not going to go well. There were several people standing in 3 lines. At cashier #1, a guy was exchanging bags of board games - had to be 20 or more. At cashier #2, a man set a carton of almond milk down only to have milk come pouring out all over the counter. The guy standing behind me started groaning and shifting back and forth - I wasn't sure what that meant - suddenly he lurched forward, removed his hoodie and started wiping up the milk...much to the horrified look of the cashier whose manager had already rushed off to get paper towels. The milk was by then running under the cash register and I watched as another employee rushed over to shut it down. At cashier #3, a man was arguing vehemently with the cashier that he should receive a refund amount equal to the price he paid, even though he had no receipt. The cashier was trying reimburse him for the current amount of the item. He yelled at her so loudly that her manager rushed over to just pay him the full amount he wanted. He left in a huff.....So, after board game man, milk man, hoodie man and angry man left, things quieted down. I sheepishly approached the counter and asked to load my Redcard. The cashier was pleasant and helpful, but I could tell she just wished we'd all go away, so I finished as quickly as I could and left - only to see that my boyfriend had been trying to reach me. I called him and it turns out he had locked himself out of his car - 15 miles in the other direction, again in darkness and heavy rain. I keep a copy of his car key on my key chain, so I made my way over there to help him out. After he got righted, we decided to grab a bite then drive home. On my way home, I decided to drop a couple deposits in the ATM. Of course, the ATM was down.

I got home, poured a small glass of Scotch, neat and then made my way to bed. Did you ever have a run where it seemed that nothing would go right?