9-5-14 Meet Woot 2.0 – Meh – Kindle fire for $140

BigHabitat

Level 2 Member
Remember daily deals sites? Remember when there was woot.com which had a lot of attitude and sometimes had good stuff? Remember before they sold out to Amazon, and when they had one deal that was pretty good instead of 62 meh deals? And the writing was actually pretty amusing..

If only someone would bring something like that back.

Well check out meh.com

And it was founded by the former founder of woot.com.

How do I know it’s legit? Well, they raised $14k on kickstarter

And there were some other articles like techcrunch and the Washington Post

Check out their (lack of a) marketing plan from their kickstarter page:

Marketing: Nope!

We’ll do stuff on our website and that’s it. Here’s our marketing plan: we have a three-letter domain. Just type it in. Facebook? Screw that. Twitter? Nuh uh. Vine, Pinterest, Instagram, Tumblr, Hulu commercials where a dad walks a toddler down a beach at sunset, and an ethnically mixed group of pals picnic with a dog and an acoustic guitar? Not a chance.

And we won’t send any marketing email, either. No newsletters. No daily campaigns. Nothing. Is that crazy? If so, we don’t want to be sane. If the only way we can succeed is to crawl through your Interpipes every morning to beg you and hector you and trick you into spending your money, we’ll yield quietly to failure’s sweet embrace.

We think your social life should remain social, not another way for companies to blare ad bullshit at you. People who want to see what we’re doing can come see what we’re doing. It’ll be on the Internet!

So is the $140 Kindle HDX 16gb 7″ tablet a good deal?

If you want a Kindle it sure is. Amazon’s price is $229- but a new Kindle is reportedly coming soon. The older Kindle Fire HD is often in this price range, but is an older model with worse specs. I recently paid considerably more for the 32gb HDX (I was on vacation and I think I bought the last one on the Big Island) as these are good for kids with the Kindle free-time app.

However, this is not great for resale because you can’t sell them on Amazon (duh!).

Continue reading...