9-11-15 Need an iphone 6 for up to one month for free? Here’s how…

BigHabitat

Level 2 Member

There seems to be a lot of interest in iphones these days. Although they’ve been around a while, it’s like people are DISCOVERing IT for the first time. AND while a lot of people like APPLE, PAYing $700+ for something that is often obsolete in a few months. Still, it seems like for every one person in line at a Samsung store for a new release, there are 10 PERsons CENTered around the CASHier and a line wrapping around to the BACK of the building, even without any PROMOTION by Apple.

Can’t understand what I’m talking about? Click here.

So you have your eye on a shiny new iphone 6 or 6s, but you find the cost prohibitive. Yes, Apple will sell it to you for $549 up… or even finance it for any carrier

Well, paying $600+ for an iphone will certainly cut into the $2000 potential profits from the Discover promotion. Now you could plan to buy the new phone and flip it after meeting the spending, but then the phone is locked to a carrier, you have to pay off the balance, etc.

What if you could lease an iphone 6 for $20 per month for 18 months?

T-mobile is offering a launch incentive where you can lease an iphone 6 for $20 per month for 18 months. Ok, its really a $12 credit on a $32 JUMP plan… here’s the text:

A Major Price Disruption — $20 / month for iPhone 6s. Upgrade rights included.
Starting this Saturday morning at midnight PT, you can pre-order a new iPhone 6s for an unprecedented $20 a month for 18 months with JUMP! On Demand – and iPhone 6s Plus is just $24 a month – both with $0 down. Of course, with JUMP! On Demand, you don’t pay a penny out of pocket upfront with qualifying credit – not even sales tax – and you have the ultimate flexibility to upgrade your phone whenever you want. Not once a year. Not with fees or waiting periods. Just turn in your working phone and start with a brand new one, absolutely whenever you want (up to 3x per year).

After your 18 monthly payments, you can hand back your phone and pay nothing more. Or you can pay just $164 more if you want to keep your iPhone 6s. That means your total cost to own your phone is just $524 – that’s a screaming deal. It’s special introductory pricing for our launch, and it won’t last long.

Ok, $20 per month is certainly an improvement from Apple pricing, but keep in mind a) it’s a lease, and 2) it’s with T-mobile who may or may not be your carrier of choice. Plus you still need to factor in cost of service over 18+ months.

What if you could test drive an iphone 6 for a month for free?

Well, turns out if you don’t like the service, you can return the phone within the first month and get your money back. Say that again? If you don’t like the tmobile coverage you can turn the phone back in and they will refund your monthly service cost. Here’s the text:

Introducing the T-Mobile Lifetime Coverage Guarantee
I’m so sure iPhone 6s and 6s Plus users are going to love T-Mobile that I’m announcing the industry’s first ever lifetime coverage satisfaction guarantee. Yes, lifetime. For as long as you use your iPhone 6s or 6s Plus on T-Mobile, if you aren’t completely satisfied with your coverage experience we’ll refund you for every penny you’ve paid for your new device in the first month, or after that, we’ll unlock it at no charge so you can use it with one of the other wireless companies. We’ll even refund up to a full month of your service. For phones that get unlocked, we’ll let you keep our standard interest-free payment plan at our standard prices. No charge. No hassles. To take advantage, all you have to do is come and get your iPhone 6s or 6s Plus with JUMP! On Demand at T-Mobile. We’ll take care of the rest. Yes, it’s that simple. We are not screwing around.​

And you can read the whole article here.

Orders start tomorrow on T-Mobile!

Ok so theoretically you could go to tmobile, get the iphone 6 and hit the Discover Apple Pay 10% cash back promo hard for one month, then return the phone. I don’t know what potential hiccups could arise…. I’ll just throw a few out and you guys can comment on more.

• You get a hard pull (ok, you knew that already. I’m just reminding you…)
  • You could run out of time to spend the $10k, therefore having to leave money on the table or extend the contract (but worst case is unlock and sell)
  • You may not have time to see if the purchases track correctly
  • You might have some trouble getting tmobile to take the phone back
  • Would no longer having an Apple Pay phone after 30 days interfere with the promo at all?
So there you have it folks. Is it right to take a test drive of an iPhone 6 on Tmobile’s network for a month if your going in intention is to return it during the free look period to max out an unrelated promotion even if you do actually get fantastic 4G service with TMobile? I don’t know, I’m not an ethicist (C’mon WordPress – Wikipedia and the New York Times think that’s a word!).

I mean, it is a one-month test run, and you are doing that. Worst case for T-mobile is that they get a barely used iphone 6 back and put it to use on another contract. Apple gets rapid adoption of their Apple Pay technology. Discover builds market share for their Discover IT product… I get $2000… seems win-win to me!

Continue reading...

RWC75

Level 2 Member
Man, brilliant idea. Especially if you've got your ApplePay and Discover IT already all lined up.

I probably won't take advantage, even though I'm already a T-Mobile customer, primarily because I have issues with getting something tangible with the sole purpose of using it and returning it to the store. It's well within the usual travel hacking community ethical window (c.f. buying refundable upgrades to get Amex Plat travel credits) but just steps a touch outside my comfort area.

I'll probably end up buying a used iPhone 6 then turning around and reselling it as used.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Great idea! However, you of course have to make sure that you can run that much volume through Discover in 1 month to make it worthwhile. I think I read somewhere, and in my own experience, that Discover is known for giving some of the lowest CL. So we're looking at having to possibly do 2-3x your CL in 1 month to make this work. Is Discover out with CL churning? I've never done it so I don't know.

RWC75

Level 2 Member
Maybe that's what I need to do. Go over my small CL. I might now since I'm under the 2x promotion for a year.
Don't go too crazy; I paid my balance in full mid-month, so I never went over limit. You should also consider contacting Discover and asking for a CL raise first.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Don't go too crazy; I paid my balance in full mid-month, so I never went over limit. You should also consider contacting Discover and asking for a CL raise first.
Don't want to do a hard pull. I've already done the soft pull increase recently. I've had the card for a year and half though so it's seasoned. And obviously I would never go past my credit limit, per say. Just cycling it as you said.