8-14-14 Staples 20% off Everything*** (except computers, tablets, etc); Big Island Update

B

bighabitat

Here is a nice coupon that is a close favorite after the MOARC. Some of you may like it even better, since it is a cash discount instead of rewards.

And here are the terms:

Valid in Staples® U.S. stores only. Discount on Staples® EcoEasy(sm) bag, item no. 708691 and 581100, will be taken at register at time of purchase. Limit one coupon per customer per day. While supplies last. Cannot be combined with any other coupons. Not valid on kiosk orders. Discount applies to products that fit within the customer’s Staples EcoEasy bag only. All chairs, furniture and clearance items (including clearance desktops, laptops and tablets) are included in this promotion. Not valid on desktop or laptop computers, tablets, Chromebooks, Apple® products, Bose® products, Amazon Kindle®, HP ink and toner, Epson® ink and toner, Keurig® coffee brewers, Beats®, Steelcase®, Texas Instruments® TI graphing calculators, printers, fax and copier machines, business machines, all case paper, cases of water, all Copy & Print Center orders, USPS, UPS, Staples® EasyTech(sm), SquareTrade® warranties, gift cards, mobile phones and mobile phone services, phone cards or postage stamps.

Obviously 20% can make for some good deals if you can find

Now a key benefit here is that it includes clearance items, so you could have some good finds in-store

Big Island Vacation Update:

• Went and saw the Hawaiian Volcano park. It was pretty cool even though you are miles away from the crater
  • Hit the Tex drive in for lunch and some of those doughnut thingies. Both were excellent.
  • Was planning to see Akala waterfalls but had to keep driving due to sleeping toddler.
  • The Lemongrass Thai food at the Queens Marketplace is very sub par for the pad thai (was pretty dry). The Drunken noodles were better. Neither would be a good deal back home at $15-$16 per dish.
  • The “gourmet” grocery store in Queens Marketplace is absurdly expensive. If you don’t want the long drive to Walmart/Target/Safeway then find a Foodland as those don’t gouge you quite as much.
  • The kids meals at the Hilton Kingsland Bistro are a bargain ($6 each, generous portions of standard kid fare like chicken strips and fries, grilled cheese, pizza, etc)
Maui Car Rental Tips

I had planned to get an uber referral link and amass enough credits so as to effectively have a full time driver in Maui but it didn’t pan out so I had to get a car rental

• The rates available online were generally fairly cheap for small/mid size cars (<$200 per week with ~$100+ in fees and taxes), then go to ridiculous levels. By ridiculous I mean $2000 per week for a minivan. I mean, really? For a Chrysler Town & Country I could probably buy for $22k new?
  • Using Priceline I was able to get a small SUV for $33 per day from Avis (which comes out to $400 for 8 days after taxes/fees). I was then offered an “upgrade” to a minivan for $6 extra per day which I took (don’t make fun of my vehicle choice, its very practical and the extra space, aw never mind)
  • Coincidentally I had just registered for Avis elite status which ultimately came from View From the Wing. Here is a link to that post.
Whew, again, this update was tiring. Don’t expect so many insights every day! Or pictures. Those are a pain to upload.

Continue reading...