7 days in Indonesia

Brennan

Level 2 Member
so I booked the $386 DL fare to CGK...doing my research now on where to stay and what to do. Would love some ideas from those with experience. I'm into nature, adventure sports, historic sites, cultural experiences, etc.

With only 7 days on the ground, I'll prob spilt my time between 2 locations...maybe Bali and West Java. Would love suggestions tho. TIA!

smittytabb

Staff member
so I booked the $386 DL fare to CGK...doing my research now on where to stay and what to do. Would love some ideas from those with experience. I'm into nature, adventure sports, historic sites, cultural experiences, etc.

With only 7 days on the ground, I'll prob spilt my time between 2 locations...maybe Bali and West Java. Would love suggestions tho. TIA!
It has been a really long time since I was in Bali, but if you have an interest in culture, be sure to spend a block of time there. Balinese culture is unique to Indonesia and it is a beautiful place. I went when I was 21, stayed two weeks and stayed in a place on the beach with no electricity for $5, so I don't have a hotel recommendation:) Keep in mind that it is an hour and a half flight from Jakarta to Bali and I know I flew Garuda. Skyscanner is a good place to search for flights within Indonesia.

KennyBSAT

Staff member
20K Air France miles and $4 or so will get you a roundtrip with a stopover on Garuda, and availability is very good. Of course LCC tickets may be a better deal so I'd check both.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
That looks AWESOME. It's a shame that my Bornean partner has little interest in exploring the jewels of his land. But that will not deter me from doing so in my lifetime.

Daniel

#hackingtheplane(t)

When are you going? I'm planning a similarly-lengthed trip :p

Brennan

Level 2 Member
Best trip ever - Uncle Tans in Borneo. https://saverocity.com/trips/borneo/
It has been a really long time since I was in Bali, but if you have an interest in culture, be sure to spend a block of time there. Balinese culture is unique to Indonesia and it is a beautiful place. I went when I was 21, stayed two weeks and stayed in a place on the beach with no electricity for $5, so I don't have a hotel recommendation:) Keep in mind that it is an hour and a half flight from Jakarta to Bali and I know I flew Garuda. Skyscanner is a good place to search for flights within Indonesia.
Awesome guys, thanks.

Voyaging Doc

Level 2 Member
Whatever you do don't bring narcotics. Bring plenty of small cash to bribe/tip everyone and everything. Indonesia has too many beautiful sights to just do 7 days. Many of the islands and cities have their own culture.
As I was family friends with the owners of the Grand Hyatt and Ritz Carlton and adjacent malls I've spent many days in CGK, particularly during childhood. To me unless you're a local and you know where to go or if you want to spend your days in extravagant shopping malls where the obnoxiously rich drop tens of thousands of dollars on an Hermes purse, I would explore the other cities. Jakarta has way too much traffic and is too densely populated. Visit the Hindu temples of Borobudur. Experience the rainforest.
I think Bali has changed a lot over the years. It has become very touristy. If you like a rather expensive beach resort type location with good dives you can go to Bali but I think it's overrated.

Also, the food in Indonesia is amazing, but be prepared to pay the next morning. If you want food or fruit suggestions let me know. My favorite fruit is the mangosteen. Durian is foul and not recommended.

Daniel

#hackingtheplane(t)
@Voyaging Doc where would you recommend staying? Don't want hostel/backpacker-level accommodations, but don't want to pay $400 for 1 night (which incidentally would be more than the cost of the airfare ;P). Thanks!

P.S. This questions is obviously open to anyone with an opinion.

Sang Kancil Guru

Travelling the world in search of fruits
Also, the food in Indonesia is amazing, but be prepared to pay the next morning. If you want food or fruit suggestions let me know. My favorite fruit is the mangosteen. Durian is foul and not recommended.
To each his or her own. I personally think Durian is fantastic, and everyone should give it a try and decide for themselves.