$40 for iTunes Gift Card at Staples

Fishing4Deals

Level 2 Member
Tried to post this in the MS forum where I think it belongs:

$40 for a $50 iTunes gift card at Staples online. This deal is available online only at Staples.com

Shipping is free, with secure, trackable shipping through the U.S. Post Office.

The cards have no expiration date.

If you are a Staples Rewards member, you can earn 5% back.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Welcome. I've upgraded you to MS level.

What makes this a MS type deal exactly?

Fishing4Deals

Level 2 Member
If you are trying to meet minimum spend on say a Chase Ink card, you can earn Staples rewards points, plus 5x ultimate rewards points on a $40 purchase, and get $50 in iTunes value.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
If you are trying to meet minimum spend on say a Chase Ink card, you can earn Staples rewards points, plus 5x ultimate rewards points on a $40 purchase, and get $50 in iTunes value.
That's not manufactured spend though. That's real spend :)

Steelsnow

Gold Member
If you want these iTunes cards, might as well use this coupon code below on three of these GCs. Don't recommend using this code on Visa GCs (at least, too often).

$15 off $100 5/23-5/26 on Staples.com, code 90717

Steve

Level 2 Member
Is this deal still live? What was/is the limit?
(@Matt for me this would be considered ms. I have a buyer that takes these from me @ 20% off. )

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
As Matt pointed out, this is not MS! Buying FAR items is MS. In addition, you do not earn 5% rewards on gift card purchases -- if we earned 5% rewards and were able to reach Plus / Premier status, then there wouldn't be a need to buy FAR stuff.
15% code is online only, and it's OOS online.
Using coupon codes to buy gift cards is a sure way to get infamously blacklisted from staples. They track IP address, CC information, mailing address, name. If you're lucky enough to get a gift card with a coupon code, this may be a one time thing. But be warned that you will be on their radar.

There are plenty of deals for money makers every week (granted, their deals have sucked the last few weeks - we will not be seeing any FAR paper deals anytime soon). But the past few weeks, you could buy 2 of the 5-ream case for $4 after coupon / rebates and use the $10 off $50 coupon for a slight $2 MM. The $10/50 coupon is "magic" (the $50 spend requirement is before coupons). Last couple of weeks, and this week, you can buy 2 of the 5-ream cases for ~$33 (including taxes) and get a $34 rebate.

On SD forums, many have reports their orders do not show up. It's most likely that the orders are manually reviewed.

Google "Staples blacklist" -- if you're blacklisted, you will only be able to shop at B&M stores only. No more ordering stuff online or the store kiosk.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Is this deal still live? What was/is the limit?
(@Matt for me this would be considered ms. I have a buyer that takes these from me @ 20% off. )
That's the X factor - if you have a deal that goes through to liquidation then absolutely!

InstinctX

Level 2 Member
iTunes at 20% off seems to be the norm. I'm still working my way through the $300 gift cards from Safeway's Dec. promotion (40% off). I was able to snag $300 worth of iTunes gift cards for $165 (45% off).

MLH

Level 2 Member
That's not manufactured spend though. That's real spend :)
If they aren't planning to be the end-user of the iTunes GCs then wouldn't it be MS? They're manufacturing spend on their CC by buying something they can sell/liquidate.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
If they aren't planning to be the end-user of the iTunes GCs then wouldn't it be MS? They're manufacturing spend on their CC by buying something they can sell/liquidate.
Yes, as per my reply two posts ago. However, I asked the OP how it became MS and that was not the answer they gave. I still think it is helpful to share such things, but I think it is equally helpful to identify what is and what isn't an opportunity so that we can all identify them in the future.

Haley

I am not a robot
I've noticed that not every one defines MS the same way, or I've noticed that I've never really seen it defined.

Is it never MS if you are the end user?
Is it a matter of scale?

Is the churn a defining characteristic? Or a sub-class of MS?
Is MS a subclass of something else?

As an aside I'd agree this is a deal but not MS, but for a different reason. I'd really love to hear what others think.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I've noticed that not every one defines MS the same way, or I've noticed that I've never really seen it defined.

Is it never MS if you are the end user?
Is it a matter of scale?

Is the churn a defining characteristic? Or a sub-class of MS?
Is MS a subclass of something else?

As an aside I'd agree this is a deal but not MS, but for a different reason. I'd really love to hear what others think.
For me it's simple, manufactured spend is spend that isn't real spend. Ie you put a cost on your card and you remove it again, profiting from the transaction.

Haley

I am not a robot
For me it's simple, manufactured spend is spend that isn't real spend. Ie you put a cost on your card and you remove it again, profiting from the transaction.
So buy widget with CC, sell widget, profit = MS
Isn't that just resale?
Isn't every reseller trying to lower costs every way possible in order to have greater gains?

Assuming the OP pays off his CC, didn't he put a cost on a card, 'remove' the cost, and profit (depending on how you define that word)?

It is MS when the spending is an illusion, that part is easy. But is it not MS when it isn't?
Enough thinking about how to define things, I've got some MS to do!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
So buy widget with CC, sell widget, profit = MS
Isn't that just resale?
Isn't every reseller trying to lower costs every way possible in order to have greater gains?

Assuming the OP pays off his CC, didn't he put a cost on a card, 'remove' the cost, and profit (depending on how you define that word)?

It is MS when the spending is an illusion, that part is easy. But is it not MS when it isn't?
Enough thinking about how to define things, I've got some MS to do!
Not widgets. That is a type, or 'gig'.

Just moving an asset to an asset via a process that generates a net profit. If you are buying something and not returning that asset through the cycle it is not MS. It is just spend.

And quit with the deep and meaningful thinking!

Steelsnow

Gold Member
You two are cracking me up - what happens when you use a store GC to purchase another GC that you can then liquidate - is that considered an intermediary MS purchase, or an actual 'widget' purchase? In the end, it's transforming one asset into another asset, which may have additional benefits (such as increased liquidity) and even detractions (such as a possible card fee).

Haley

I am not a robot
I used to use Levi's and 'real American cowboy boots' to finance my travels.
Not sure where that fits in to the game either ;) but the results were fantastic. It was even more fun than the current state of the game.

I also like the Species debate among biologist, naturalists, conservationists, and so on. Just logical exercise, keeps the mind sharp.

Haley

I am not a robot
I might need to ask for custom emoticons.

Test:

Yep, need a better set. Not high priority though.