4 adults (2 couples) - which hotel to book?

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
We are 4 adults - i.e. my parents, my partner and I - planning to take a trip to Orlando this summer.

About accommodation, I plan to reserve either separate rooms in a hotel or 2-bed room suite options for 4 of us. I plan to make hotel reservations for a week. All I have are 45k SPG points and 110k Marriott points.

Now, I can reserve 5 days or less using Starpoints in Category 2 hotel; 5th night is not free. For 5 days, it comes to 19k SPG points for 1 room. Total 38k starpoints for 2 rooms. On the other hand, Marriott 7-day package is ideal but I do not have enough points - need at least another 110k points to redeem for 7-day package.

My questions:
1. Redeeming 38k SPG points on 2 rooms for 5 days a good option?
2. Or should I apply for one of the Marriott or Ritz carlton credit cards to get 140k bonus offers?
3. If i apply for credit card, then will I be able to book hotels in a month's notice?
4. where can I find 2-bedroom suite hotels around Walt Disneyworld?

Thanks!

Haley

I am not a robot
There are tons of options in that area, but when do you want to go?

Are points your only option?

Find a property first, apply for new card second if at all possible. Those Ritz/Marriott points might not do you any good (I have never tried to use them in that area, they might be perfect too).

The best cash option IMHO for that area is renting from an owner at the Bonnet Creek timeshare. Check VBRO website for those. That said there are decent rooms under $50 if you don't mind older and motel style.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
There are tons of options in that area, but when do you want to go?

Are points your only option?

Find a property first, apply for new card second if at all possible. Those Ritz/Marriott points might not do you any good (I have never tried to use them in that area, they might be perfect too).

The best cash option IMHO for that area is renting from an owner at the Bonnet Creek timeshare. Check VBRO website for those. That said there are decent rooms under $50 if you don't mind older and motel style.
Thank you.

We plan to go in May/June. I never redeemed hotel points so i thought I can redeem them now when on a budget. But I am open to other options as well. Right now, checking out VBRO. 2-bed room suites are available and are around $120 during the time I am looking for.

Dia

Level 2 Member
I was going to give a shout out to timeshare rental as well. Check EVR (I have a post up on my page about them if you search) as they have a 40% off right now in Orlando, no code needed. The promo might be post worth on it's own.

Also heard from reader Dan that IHG Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort in Kissimmee an award night (35k IHG pts) books into a 2 BR Villa, 1 K 2Q + 1 Q sofabed, full kitchen and family room, sleeps 8.

James from BNA

VR Jacket Guy
OP-I did the Ritz Carlton x 2 in late December and I had my 7 night stay in 14 days and my SW CP in 17 days. If you need SW flights to get to MCO I'd say that is your best option provided that you don't mind throwing away the last 2 nights and can call Marriott and get a reasonable confidence that the room you want will be open 3 weeks from now. You must meet the 3K immediately and call right away to change your statement cut date to ASAP. In my case, they were able to move it around 8 days out from call date.

Others with kids-We usually do Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista on a budget. 30k Hilton points or Barclay Arrival, separate bedroom and living room, free breakfast, free manager's reception with enough food for a meal. All you pay for is lunch RE: meals. 5th night free for Gold members. Pull out couch in living room is suitable for kids but not for 4 adults as OP needs.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
OP-I did the Ritz Carlton x 2 in late December and I had my 7 night stay in 14 days and my SW CP in 17 days. If you need SW flights to get to MCO I'd say that is your best option provided that you don't mind throwing away the last 2 nights and can call Marriott and get a reasonable confidence that the room you want will be open 3 weeks from now. You must meet the 3K immediately and call right away to change your statement cut date to ASAP. In my case, they were able to move it around 8 days out from call date.

Others with kids-We usually do Embassy Suites Lake Buena Vista on a budget. 30k Hilton points or Barclay Arrival, separate bedroom and living room, free breakfast, free manager's reception with enough food for a meal. All you pay for is lunch RE: meals. 5th night free for Gold members. Pull out couch in living room is suitable for kids but not for 4 adults as OP needs.
Thank you. Yes, I am also eyeing on SW CP. I was able to get personal premier card but denied for biz version. So will have 50k soon from personal card. I am now contemplating on applying for biz card again or transfer 140k Marriott points to SW to get 50k points.

Or I can just apply for RC card for 140k points and do the 7-night package which will get me 50k RR SW points. Will have to decide.

I was going to give a shout out to timeshare rental as well. Check EVR (I have a post up on my page about them if you search) as they have a 40% off right now in Orlando, no code needed. The promo might be post worth on it's own.

Also heard from reader Dan that IHG Holiday Inn Club Vacations Orlando - Orange Lake Resort in Kissimmee an award night (35k IHG pts) books into a 2 BR Villa, 1 K 2Q + 1 Q sofabed, full kitchen and family room, sleeps 8.
Thanks Dia. I never heard of this before, but am open to timeshare. Still checking the best deals on EVR. I gather that this route has nothing to do with redeeming points etc. I also see online that many dread 90 min presentation....

Dia

Level 2 Member
Thanks Dia. I never heard of this before, but am open to timeshare. Still checking the best deals on EVR. I gather that this route has nothing to do with redeeming points etc. I also see online that many dread 90 min presentation....
The weekly rentals are presentation-free. The shorter term packages usually have them.

cdancer20

Level 2 Member
Thank you. Yes, I am also eyeing on SW CP. I was able to get personal premier card but denied for biz version. So will have 50k soon from personal card. I am now contemplating on applying for biz card again or transfer 140k Marriott points to SW to get 50k points.
If you don't have a lot of other Chase cards, you can also get the personal plus card. Many data points, including myself, that I got 50k bonus from both cards.

deere1

Level 2 Member
When we went Disneyworld two years ago, we stayed at Beachtree Villas in Kissimmee, Florida. 10 minutes from Disney and SeaWorld, and we basically had an apartment (I think we had 3BR, K, LR, 2 bathrooms). It looks like they are about $90-95 per day in May, $95-100 per day in June.

www (dot) beachtreevillas (dot) com

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
If you don't have a lot of other Chase cards, you can also get the personal plus card. Many data points, including myself, that I got 50k bonus from both cards.
That is good to know. I currently have 4 Chase personal cards and 1 biz card. Also, I have 7 hard pulls at the moment. I need to justify why I need another SW plus if I already have a premier. Getting a business card and getting denied will be a shame.

When we went Disneyworld two years ago, we stayed at Beachtree Villas in Kissimmee, Florida. 10 minutes from Disney and SeaWorld, and we basically had an apartment (I think we had 3BR, K, LR, 2 bathrooms). It looks like they are about $90-95 per day in May, $95-100 per day in June.

www (dot) beachtreevillas (dot) com
Thank you for the info!

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
I checked VBRO and getting few responses from the owners.

But when I checked EVR, I am a little skeptical. Their prices are also competitive. In addition, they are providing shuttle services, amenities and even tickets to attractions....all this at a low price for a week's stay. Why?

Is there a catch here?