2-2-2015 BigHabitat Guide to Mileage Plus X – A Mobile Shopping App Promising 2-4 Extra Miles...

BigHabitat

Level 2 Member

United has released a mobile app on itunes and Android entitiled Mileage Plus X (link) which promises:

Ok, well I do like miles, so thought it might be worth checking out. .

How does MileagePlus X (MPX) work?

At checkout at a store, you bring up the app, punch in the amount and the app basically coughs up a gift card for the merchange which is scanned by the cashier.

The app uses your linked credit cards to pay for the gift card it gives you.

You receive miles from United which vary by store, but are typcially 2-4% (except for Amazon at 1 pt and Lowes at 0.5 pts), and Chase United credit card holders get a 25% bonus

Note that some stores have minimum purchases, but the balances are stored in the app for later

Couldn’t I just use my Chase Ink at Staples or OfficeMax to get 5x on gift cards and use those instead?

Yes, but 1) some people don’t have Chase Ink cards, 2) this may be more convenient for some since it is purchased for the exact amount at the time of purchase, so no planning ahead or leftover balances on the card.

Can you use MPX online?

Yes. But you may want to consider other options depending on the store. Eg., if you can buy Sears gift cards for 8% off on ebay or gift card granny, that might be a better option than an extra 2 miles.

Doesn’t United already have an online portal? Can I use this first?

Yes, but per comments from a United Rep on Flyertalk here, you can do both. And that kinda makes sense since the app is just generating a gift card.

What about category bonuses like dining, etc?

Per the United rep:​

Also, the transactions are coded with the category of the underlying merchant. Therefore, if you get double points for dining, in most cases will earn double points when you dine and pay with MileagePlus X. This will depend, however, on your issuing bank and how they implement bonuses.

So you are supposed to, but YMMV

So I can use this at Staples or Officemax with my Chase Ink and get 5x + the 2x or 4x through MileagePlus X?

Terms say you should be able to, but we’ll see.

But for sure you can’t buy gift cards with Mileageplus X at most stores since you are effectively paying with one and most stores are coded against that.

But, 7-9x total on purchases would be interesting.. I’ll have to test it out.

Don’t I give up all my purchase protection benefits since I am now paying with a gift card?

Yes. You may not want to use this for electronics, etc. Use it for a bagel at Panera you are unlikely to return.

How many points do I get?

Well, it varies by store so I created a list with the main ones which follows the questions

Also keep in mind Chase United credit card holders get a 25% bonus

What’s the best way to use this?

1. If the Chase Ink 5x bonus stacks with the 2x MPX for Staples or 4x MPX points for OfficeMax that would be excellent for in-store purchases like the Staples 50% off clearance computers today (assuming you don’t care about the extended warranty…)
  2. Also if #2 works, then you should be able to triple-dip by going through a portal to Staples or OfficeMax to add the portal bonus to that!
  3. If the store is on the MPX list, this might be an easier albeit less lucrative way to buy the store gift cards in Frequent Milers 5x and beyond post which can be upgraded to Visa gift cards.

Master list of Stores and Points

Auto Repair Points
Jiffy Lube 4
Entertainment / Books Points
AMC Theatres 4
Bow Tie Cinemas 3
Dave & Busters 4
Regal Entertainment 4
Barnes and Noble 3
Food (major chains) / Sweets Points
Applebees 4
Bubba Gumps 4