$1700 UA Global First to Seoul

Alpen_Geoff

Level 2 Member
Who may or may not have ripped it off from TFD...
Thought about it once, twice then thought better of it. Good deal for those who need to go anyway but far too much $$ for me. Happy for those who can make use of it though!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Who may or may not have ripped it off from TFD...
Thought about it once, twice then thought better of it. Good deal for those who need to go anyway but far too much $$ for me. Happy for those who can make use of it though!
I doubt they ripped it off the the flight deal - happy to be proven wrong, but most of the good stuff comes from good, hard working folk. This is why I wanted to avoid reposting deals like this, vs getting us working on them.

PS - My post on got interesting, as did Gary's riposte

Do you think a $1700 Flight is a great deal? Really?

Is a $1700 Roundtrip to Seoul even a good Deal?

:)

Anh

Level 2 Member
I agree with you completely on this, Matt. The majority of people who jumped on the deal aren't in the bucket that the deal would make sense for. Sure $1700 international first from BOS-ICN is indeed a great deal under the right circumstances: getting 2x miles from your status, getting closer to your status for next year, lifetime (maybe) *A gold. However, for most folks reading these blogs, these are not the right circumstances.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I think it's up to each person what a good deal is. If you were planning on flying to Seoul and were going to pay cash for FC it's obviously a fantastic deal. If you were planning on flying to Seoul and were considering coachfor let's say $1K, I would argue it's still a pretty good deal. If you had a horde of miles and could do it for a few hundred $$ in fees, it's not quite such a good deal anymore. However, I can recognize that it's a huge discount compared to the normal value either way.

I think this goes back to how people value their miles. For example, If I redeemed 30K Hyatt Points for a $1,500/night room - woot 5 cents/point. However, I would argue that if you wouldn't pay $1,500/night in cash that's not really the true value... I think it's more realistic to value points based on what you'd truly pay in cash....

We're a family of 4, so at $1,700/pp that's nothing more than a boatload of $$.... We'd rather take more "nice" trips than the rare crazy/extravagant trip.

flyingblue

Level 2 Member
I agree with Josh F, it all depends, I passed on this because I still have a ton of miles, otherwise I would say it is a good deal .

ChiliPalmer

Look at me.
Just joined the forums. Hi!

Good discussion on this deal. Not a slam dunk. But I'm in! I'm going probably twice (I have more that I'll cancel eventually).

Not cheap. Not a place I've really been dying to go. And not an airline I care too much about.

But a good reason to just get up and go, which is what I'm doing. I'm currently a Plat, so about 50K miles doesn't hurt either.