$10 off Amex Gift Card Purchase of $200 or more- Amex Offers For You

Jennifer

Level 2 Member
Supporter
I logged in to Amex today and saw a new offer under the "Offers for You" tab for $10 statement credit when you buy $200 or more of AGCs. You can use multiple tabs to get the offer on more than one card.

Trevor

Level 2 Member
I saw the same and was excited at first, but then quickly decided it's not the best deal for me. It could work for some people, but with my other cards available, I would actually be losing out on money by utilizing this. Typically I buy $3k gift cards, for ease of usage and the reduce fees as a percentage. I know many people use fees to wave the card fees, but I'm not going to chance losing out on the portal bonus (2-4%) for a savings of .13% ($3.95/3000).

The $10 savings comes out to a .33% savings on a $3k GC. Our best Amex cards as far as points value are the SPG and PRG. Using FrequentMiler's fair trading prices (I know there are numerous of ways to value points, but use his as they are widely known), SPG =$.0195 and PRG=$.0129.

Purchase Fee on $3k gift card: $3.95
Shipping on order: Free (thanks to recent promo that allowed application of free shipping code to 1 year shipping fee)
Total Cost for $3k=$3.95

Portal Rebate-3% (current best is befrugal.com): $90
Arrival Card-2 points/$,valued at $.011 pp=6008 points=$66.09
OR
Amex SPG-1 points/$=3004=$58.58 + 10 statement credit=$68.58
Amex PRG-1 points/$=3004=$38.75 + 10 statement credit=$48.75

So the SPG gets about $1.49 more value rebated, but for me the better flexibility of Arrival points is worth the minor sacrifice, and the PRG shouldn't even be considered. I'm not saying this isn't a good deal for everyone. There could be situations where it is (meeting minimum spend on SPG, Amex EverDay card with 1.5 points/$), but those circumstances don't apply to me. Just make sure you consider your other options and if this $10 "savings" is actually a good idea for your situation.

c2nah777

Yes, it is a goatee.
Thank you for this info!

Update 7/2
Well found out my Amex Serve won't work online to purchase egift cards. They say they don't accept payment with "gift cards".

Otherwise ordering $100 for each of two orders with code DGPCM would have negated the fees.
At B&M the fee is $6.95 for a $200 card. May still give it a shot.

Last edited: