1-25-15 Sears 5x through AA portal; $45 or less 10 inch tablet… How crappy is it?

BigHabitat

Level 2 Member
Well the portal bonuses for Sears are creeping up… right now you can get 5x AA points per dollar spend through the AAdvantageeshopping portal.

But Sears deals are fickle… Over the last few days i bought bluetooth speakers, then Nakamichi headphones, and some cheap Trio Stealth G2 16gb 10 inch tablets. These tablets have been available for little while with a $50 or so net price after points (like $90 with $40 in SYW points). Here’s an actual picture of one..

Given that it was so cheap, I was planning to do a mini review of the tablet to see if it was worthwhile for personal use. However it’s at the office and I only had a few minutes to check it out. Very, very, very brief first impressions:

• The screen is horrible compared to the phones and tablets I’m used too. Samsung S5, Nexus 7, Kindle Fire, all of these screens absolutely blow the G2 away. It’s not a surprise it was better, but it is surprising just how much better they are. Words are actually harder to read on the 10″ tablet than the 5″ Galaxy S5
  • The screen also is very hard to read when titled
  • The screen dimensions seem awkward. It seems that it is too rectangular compared to other tablets
  • Setup was a breeze, hooked up my google accounts and the google play store straight away
  • wifi seemed fast when streaming through my S5 phone. Downloaded Clash of Clans (big file) in a few minutes (seemed like less than 3 minutes)
  • Speed of navigating through the Android menus seemed fine.. not as snappy as the Nexus but not horrible.. of course it isn’t bogged down with lots of crapware yet.
  • Same thing when playing Clash of Clans… serviceable, but not a fast, smooth experience.
  • Build quality – definitely plastic feel, and not a high end plastic on the back. Looks ok (black pattern), but feels cheap.
  • All in all, it might be an OK kids tablet, or if you absolutely had to have a 10″ screen, but I’d prefer a nicer 7″ like a 2012 or 2013 Nexus.
  • On the other hand the Nexus’s are more expensive ($120-$200), and seem to have an awful problem with power points. I’ve got 2 I think that no longer charge.
So just how cheap is it?

Well, Sears has it for $79.99 with $40 back in points.

But of course I like to do better, so I was able to apply a $20 off $75 coupon that I had.. so here’s my net deal, $60 in points back.

So the net price after about $85 in tax less $60 net price is about $25.

And points apparently roll, so if you have $80 in SYW points pay $79 in points and $1 out of pocket and you will basically buy this for $39 in points

Is this a great deal? Well, it sells for $109 on Amazon (about #1871 in Computers and Accessories, which isn’t absolutely horrible).

So check it out if you need a really cheap tablet.

And hows my Jet Rank?

#37 thanks for asking. I’ve been invited into the finalist group to compete for the stock options. There’s a conference call this week where we will learn more about the final competition. I’m going to ask for some swag for my readers. So watch here and of course allaboutjet.com for details. And I’ve got fellow finalists making comments on the site and putting their referral links on. Of course everyone knows if you want the jet.com free trial and to help BigHabitat, you should use this referral link. C’mon who else tells you about crappy tablets like this for $25-$40 and actually buys one to test how crappy it is and tell you about it? Thanks for your support!

Continue reading...