“Federal regulations and some customer abuse”

NickPFD

Mmmm.... yeah....
Staff member
A mildly interesting article comes to us courtesy of the DepositAccounts.com blog. A bank I’m not familiar with, Legacy Bank, changed the terms on its rewards checking account:

Federal Regulations and some customer abuse to the Win/Win Checking account have compelled us to make a change to the way interest is paid on the account. Effective March 1, 2015, in order to receive interest on the Win/Win Checking account, customers must use their Legacy Bank VISA® Check Card at least 12 times for purchases of goods or services, AND these transactions must total at least $250.00 each month.

I find it interesting that people are gaming the system hard enough to force a T&C change on a 2% APY account. The account pays 2% interest on up to $25,000, so this amounts to a maximum of $500 per year in interest. Except it’s not too hard to get 1% per year (for example, Ally’s savings account), so we’re really only talking about $250 per year. Which is a non-negligible amount of money, but then there are some accounts out there where you can get more than 2%.

Maybe I’m just jaded by the low-hanging fruit of credit card rewards (and I know that’s not for everybody), and maybe my time is spread too thin these days what with my family obligations, but still: it was surprising to me that an apparently large number of people are working this particular rewards scheme. Are any of you working 2% deposit accounts?

The post “Federal regulations and some customer abuse” appeared first on Personal Finance Digest.

Continue reading...