Alaska Companion Fare

HanoiIG

Silver Member
I'm coming up on the expiration of this year's(my first) and am trying to use it, rather than lose it. The problem is finding something that is economical. My closest airport is MDT but that adds a leg to the trip. I can be driven to DC airports, PHL or NY airports but that adds substantial cost to the trip.

Many flights are so cheap like to LAX that it's pointless to use the certificate for that. Also, wherever we go may involve an overnight or else an extremely early awakening as there are not so many non-stops.

There is also the additional cost of the trip for food, lodging and possibly entertainment. I wonder if it is worth it, but if I let it lapse, then why have the credit card.

Of course I realize that nobody can advise me on what is "worth it" to me. I just wonder what others are doing with this supposedly valuable asset.

HanoiIG

Silver Member
Answering my own question! Helps me and maybe others that I checked this. You can book free stopover so I can conceivably go BWI-Seattle and stay over a night or 2 then to say Calgary and on the way back book a different pair. This is fun! Of course I'm retired so got the time. Now that I figured out how to see how AS website works, I have learned a skill.

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
These companion fares are easily available. Many people "trade" them. Don't spend money you wouldn't otherwise. If you have miles, use them instead. Give, trade, or let the companion fare expire.

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
How would you trade it? I know I could let it lapse, but then I should cancel the card
You keep the companion fare that was issued to your Alaska account even if cancel the card. If you already paid the annual fee you don't have to cancel the card just jet. Clist, reddit, etc.. People trade for other things/ give them away

HanoiIG

Silver Member
I meant why keep the card as I get 5x on AX Platinum for all airfares but I guess you do get free checked bag. Problem is, living in Central PA, though I have 5 airports within a couple of hours, AS doesn't go many places from those airports. The miles are good, of course, for partner awards.

HanoiIG

Silver Member
Now I'm on my wife's companion fare. Same deal. It's a convoluted route to get from Central PA to anywhere. AS has a good reputation but it's not the most convenient. I can go to Maui and have a layover on each end so could go east coast- LAX/SFO/PDX/SEA-OGG and on the way back another intermediary stopover. I guess it's a good deal but it's not easy to schedule it. I just wonder why so many people tout AS as such a great thing, mainly because of the Companion Fare. If you live at one of their hubs, I guess it is.

AlaskanTraveler

Level 2 Member
Now I'm on my wife's companion fare. Same deal. It's a convoluted route to get from Central PA to anywhere. AS has a good reputation but it's not the most convenient. I can go to Maui and have a layover on each end so could go east coast- LAX/SFO/PDX/SEA-OGG and on the way back another intermediary stopover. I guess it's a good deal but it's not easy to schedule it. I just wonder why so many people tout AS as such a great thing, mainly because of the Companion Fare. If you live at one of their hubs, I guess it is.
Your posts are not differentiating between the BofA AS credit card and AS miles in general. Most agree AS has a pretty good mileage plan and the miles are some of the most valuable around. As for the BofA credit card. You use to be able to churn these frequently. BofA has shut that down almost completely. As for holding the AS card long term, I think you are right, it depends on if you can get value out of the companion fare code. I keep one as it is my longest held cc. I generally find a use for the companion fare every year. And yes you can get a free checked bag out of it, if you know you are going to fly AS with some frequency.

HanoiIG

Silver Member
Your posts are not differentiating between the BofA AS credit card and AS miles in general. Most agree AS has a pretty good mileage plan and the miles are some of the most valuable around. As for the BofA credit card. You use to be able to churn these frequently. BofA has shut that down almost completely. As for holding the AS card long term, I think you are right, it depends on if you can get value out of the companion fare code. I keep one as it is my longest held cc. I generally find a use for the companion fare every year. And yes you can get a free checked bag out of it, if you know you are going to fly AS with some frequency.
Right. I may try to utilize my wife's companion fare as we do travel a lot and I can "manufacture" a trip. Of course, it will have to be something interesting and cost effective. If X plus $121 is a good to great fare for the two of us, I will do it, then cancel hers

HanoiIG

Silver Member
OK One more question. I have a Companion Fare in my mileage account at AS. If I cancel the B of A credit card, do I lose this fare, or is it already earned?

HanoiIG

Silver Member
OK, just got a flyer in the mail indicating that, as of October, Companion fare flights must be paid with the BOA Alaska card. That spells the end for both me and my wife.

bennetos89

OK, just got a flyer in the mail indicating that, as of October, Companion fare flights must be paid with the BOA Alaska card. That spells the end for both me and my wife.
HanoiIG, sometimes it's all about the services, which suggest you air flight tickets, you know. When I've started to fly inside USA and between Canada (to USA) and back, I was ordering tickets from the airline operator itself. But then I have found online resource where I could order AirBusinessClass cheap flights and started using it because it was more effective service and thee fastest one.