Amex airline credit through GCs dead?

knaveconwy

Level 2 Member
Southwest gift cards also worked for me with $100 amounts. I did two on the business platinum back to back and was credited in a few days.

Taylor

$50 Delta e-gift cards worked for me for the personal platinum. Purchased them each 2 days apart just to be safe, and the credits posted 2 days after each charge posted. Also booked an award ticket during this time, and the $11.20 in taxes was reimbursed from the $200 allotment.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I'm almost embarrassed to report in again using my PRG. I confirmed my registered airline is Delta. Tried the PMMG maneuver AGAIN and same thing happened. It's only been 10 days, but after canceling the flight, the Eco-Plus seat charge has dropped from my statement, the tickets are still not refunded (had to call Delta last time) and no credit.

I'll simply buy a Delta gift card in the next day or 2 and hope that works. Running out of time!

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
Bought through Delta, recorded as simply a purchase from Delta. No reimbursement as yet. But the card is only 6 months old, no clue how long it takes.

Eh. It was a GC for son, to help him get here for Xmas. Worst case scenario, he is here, the money is not. I'm still ahead, you know?

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I'm almost embarrassed to report in again using my PRG. I confirmed my registered airline is Delta. Tried the PMMG maneuver AGAIN and same thing happened. It's only been 10 days, but after canceling the flight, the Eco-Plus seat charge has dropped from my statement, the tickets are still not refunded (had to call Delta last time) and no credit.

I'll simply buy a Delta gift card in the next day or 2 and hope that works. Running out of time!
Update: The charges for the canceled Delta tickets are still on my statement which closes close to the end of the month. From my previous experience trying this, those charges stay until I actually call Delta and ask for the refund to be applied. Weird, because I used Delta's page to cancel, and I have confirmations. CSR "couldn't understand" why it wasn't automatic last time. I wonder if I've been marked as an abuser somehow. I will call Delta this evening.

The economy-plus seat upgrade charges stayed pending for days, then disappeared. Hence, no rebate was every provided. Per my plan, I purchased 2x$50 gift cards on Friday. These posted to the card on Saturday and 2x$50 credits show online posting Sunday (yesterday). So, gift cards worked but my attempt at PMMG failed twice (note: this worked twice for me last year using the Plat card).

mec

Silver Member
When this was happening again, at the end of last year, I found some references to the United Registry working for this credit. Since then I have used it twice with the Platinum card and once with the PRG for $25, $175, $200 & $100. Always reimbursed within a few days. and the Platinum card gave 5x MRs on it's contributions as well.

JDub

Data Points
Aspire $250 credit for me and P2
Bought $250 WN gifts on 2/19/19, received Amex reimbursement on both 2/21/19

JDub

Does SW GC still work, I did $100 on my PRG last year and it worked without any issues. I forgot to change my airline in Jan so stuck with them and just wanted to see anyone else's experience
I did $250 SW GC for Aspire in February and was credited two days later.

asc8u

Level 2 Member
Just to update the thread, as of a couple weeks ago, GC for SW and DL are now no longer being reimbursed either.

Assuming, I can't use the credits as intended (they seriously want me to buy food on an airplane?), what have other people
done before to use the credits?

I saw this blog post with some ideas for more legit (?) uses:
https://bougiemiles.com/amex-platinum-airline-credits/

But I've already read posts where people have mentioned purchasing cheap tickets on Alaska will sometimes trigger the credit.

And also I read a FB post by Richard Kerr a while ago that when purchasing a ticket on DL, if you use a GC and then
charge the remainder - it gets billed differently and will trigger the credit.
I was thinking of giving this a try since I just picked up Amex Bus Plat for P2 a few weeks ago, but I didn't want to lock
in the airline until I could figure out the best way of using the credits.

If people have tried the ticket method, are you purchasing refundable tickets that you can then cancel later on?

Thanks.

mathlete

Level 2 Member
If people have tried the ticket method, are you purchasing refundable tickets that you can then cancel later on?

Thanks.
A couple years ago, I did the trick of buying a ticket, then buying seat upgrades, then canceling the whole thing within 24 hours. It worked then, although no idea if it still would.