Traveling with separate record locators

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Had 2 tickets on hold - one record locator. One leg Y and one J. One seat in J just opened up, so called to book - now have two record locators. One for me, one for spouse. (For the record, I let him have the J :))

Any downside to traveling this way? If flight changes, get cancelled - etc?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I'm not the best person to answer since I'm mostly a solo traveler, but a few things come to mind:
-if IRROP, same locator has higher chance of both ppl getting same reroute (in theory).
-change/cancel fee can be lower for single locator - depending on program.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Higher chance of upgrading because if you were on the same, and one J opened you wouldn't get it, offset by chance that you aren't 'connected' so as @italdesign mentions you might be put on different alternative routes in the event of IRROP.

Personally I like doing this for the upgrade, but don't so often now we have a child, if we do now, we always connect the child to one adult.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I'm not the best person to answer since I'm mostly a solo traveler, but a few things come to mind:
-if IRROP, same locator has higher chance of both ppl getting same reroute (in theory).
-change/cancel fee can be lower for single locator - depending on program.
I thought about the reroute but not the change/cancel fee - I think you're right.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Higher chance of upgrading because if you were on the same, and one J opened you wouldn't get it, offset by chance that you aren't 'connected' so as @italdesign mentions you might be put on different alternative routes in the event of IRROP.

Personally I like doing this for the upgrade, but don't so often now we have a child, if we do now, we always connect the child to one adult.
There are only 8 seats in J and no F on that flight - so that's what I was thinking - maybe they are only releasing one J at a time. I got the last upgrade to F on Cathay so it's his turn - I'll probably roll the dice on this one and take my chances of upgrade.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Just to update:

Had to book tickets last night. Checked this morning and another J seat had opened. Called right away and was able to book. Unfortunately, we can't get back on the same record locator, but they linked the numbers.

I suspect that the booking of spouse's ticket triggered the release of the one I grabbed this morning.

This is good!!!

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Just to update:

Had to book tickets last night. Checked this morning and another J seat had opened. Called right away and was able to book. Unfortunately, we can't get back on the same record locator, but they linked the numbers.

I suspect that the booking of spouse's ticket triggered the release of the one I grabbed this morning.

This is good!!!
Good for you. Can you identify the airline? Just curious. No biggie if you'd rather not.

smittytabb

Staff member
Just to update:

This is good!!!
Sounds like you are in good shape if the record locators are linked. Sure, with IRROPs things might get trickier, but since you got what you wanted, I'd say you handled it well. I find when I travel with my spouse on same record locator things if anything are more complicated in terms of upgrade, etc. I do it to give him the benefit of my EXP status, but often it makes things more complicated, rather than less.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Sounds like you are in good shape if the record locators are linked. Sure, with IRROPs things might get trickier, but since you got what you wanted, I'd say you handled it well. I find when I travel with my spouse on same record locator things if anything are more complicated in terms of upgrade, etc. I do it to give him the benefit of my EXP status, but often it makes things more complicated, rather than less.
Thank you for the reassurance. I feel like I never know if I'm "doing it right" but somehow it always works out in the end.

James from BNA

VR Jacket Guy
We have double CP with Southwest and this requires that each person be on a separate RL. the self-service kiosks won't let you print baggage stubs when you're on separate RL's. Not sure if this is a function of CP or that I'm travelling with 2 minors and they want to make sure we see a human. Nonetheless, I try to book separate RL's on WN so we can make changes with CP more easily.