Amex Gold downgrade to keep points

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
It is coming the time for me to downgrade Amex gold to something else to keep the points and not pay $199 annual fee. Would anyone have a suggestion which way to go?

Would really appreciate some guidance. thank you

Jackgamer

Level 2 Member
First you should try and see if they offer you any good retention offers. Even if they only offer you 10k it would still be worth it because you have the $100 airline incidentals credit.

If you downgrade i assume the green card ($95 AF) is your best bet.

Saphira2021

Level 2 Member
I will try that. when should I call? before the the year is up or after?

What about Amex everyday credit card? no annual fee and keep the points? or am i wrong?

Jackgamer

Level 2 Member
I will try that. when should I call? before the the year is up or after?

What about Amex everyday credit card? no annual fee and keep the points? or am i wrong?
You cannot downgrade a charge card to a credit card. Therefore the green card is your cheapest option (and by the way they give you a 5k MR bonus when you downgrade so that offsets the $95 a lot).

You can call whenever.

GetawaysRus

Level 2 Member
I usually call after the fee posts (when I receive the statement showing that the annual fee has hit). I would suggest this because there have recently been comments that AmEx might claw back the bonus you received on the card if you cancel before the one year point.

I agree with the advice above. After the fee hits, call to see if you get a retention offer. If you like this card, and prefer to keep it if you can get an offer, I would also consider if it is worthwhile to put some spend on the card now. I tend to think that the credit card companies look at how good a customer you are when you threaten to cancel.

If you have enough time before you have to make that keep or cancel decision, both the Everyday card and the Blue for Business Plus card are Membership Rewards cards with no annual fee. I have had the ED card for a while, which allowed me to keep my MR points when I cancelled the AmEx Plat (I was not offered a retention bonus). The Blue for Business Plus card is a newer product that I picked up more recently. I don't know if you can downgrade a Gold card to one of these (possibly not), but I am suggesting that you think about a separate app for a new account.

mec

Silver Member
If you can apply for the Blue Business Plus card from Amex you won't need to worry about retaining points now or in the future. The BB+ card is really tremendous for several reasons.

-You can let balances report without worrying about dings to your utilization.

-It can transfer MRs to airline partners (not all MR earning cards can do that)

-It earns 2 MRs per dollar on the first 50k

-No annual fee.

-Doesn't affect 5/24 status.

I have a PRG with 2 AUs on it that I barely use. I plan on paying the second annual fee next spring to maintain my relationship with Amex for a while longer as, by then, I will have closed the other three personal charge cards they issued me over two years. And I plan on applying for every other MR earning card when the time is right.

The Blue Business Plus card is one that doesn't ever need to be closed for practical reasons and is actually a very good points earning card either on its own or in combination with others whether used for regular spending or MSing.

Panache

Level 2 Member
I agree, get the BB or even everyday card and keep the points. Depending on your spend on the gold card, you may not get a retention offer...