SW Companion pass

Jmendoza

I was wondering if there was any restrictions on applying for both SW personal cards? Has anyone tried applying for both and was it approved? Since all three cards are at 60k points seems like both personal cards would be better?

Thanks,
Jeremy

projectx

Level 2 Member
That's a tough question right now. You used to be able to do this without much trouble, as long as you were under 5/24. I'm not clear though if you had to be 3/24 to make it work. However, lately Chase has been freezing accounts of people applying for more than one card at a time, whether both are with Chase or Chase and another bank. It's unclear how consistent the enforcement has been but there are plenty of DPs. Check out DoC's write up:

Code:
http://www.doctorofcredit.com/chase-cancelling-accounts-recent-card-applicants-deem-risky/

Last edited:

Jmendoza

Thanks. That's interesting. I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully these bonuses will be around come the end of the year. I currently have the CP, but expires at the end of this year and we will probably get it under my wife this time around. She's uncomfortable getting the business card and using sole proprietorship, but that may be the way we need to go. Thought if she could do both personal cards it would work better. Currently she is at 1/24 so its not the allotment that I'm concerned with, but the fact of letting her have two personal SW cards.

Josh000

Level 2 Member
1 Biz 1 personal is likely the best approach. 5/24 slots are precious, and 1 biz 1 personal way saves a slot. She can give verbal approval to the CSR to authorize you to to speak on her behalf if she is uncomfortable applying for the business card.

atravels

Thanks. That's interesting. I'll keep that in mind. Hopefully these bonuses will be around come the end of the year. I currently have the CP, but expires at the end of this year and we will probably get it under my wife this time around. She's uncomfortable getting the business card and using sole proprietorship, but that may be the way we need to go. Thought if she could do both personal cards it would work better. Currently she is at 1/24 so its not the allotment that I'm concerned with, but the fact of letting her have two personal SW cards.
A couple things to remember:
1. Timing is everything with the CP. If you get one card this year, and one card first of next year, that messes up the points for the CP. It can also be tricky trying to finish it out before your December statement closes. Additionally, if she gets both at the beginning of 2018, and finishes required spending quickly, you will essentially have the CP for two years (20 months, or so)
2. As DoC reported recently, the bonus on these cards is probably going down as of June 29.
And finally, a DP for you:
My mom was approved last week for SW Personal card, and on her offers page, she was also offered the other SW personal card.

Jmendoza

Thanks for the reply. Yeah we don't plan to get her CP until the beginning of next year, but wanted to just start the conversation since we are planning on that. I qualified for my CP in January 2016 so we have had it for 23 months basically so that's the plan for my wife so that we can continue to only buy 2 tickets for our family. Although it is tempting to go ahead and qualify now since our 2nd kid will turn 2 next summer but I think we will just hold off and qualify in Jan '18.