Going for a 2nd 75K bonus on BRG

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Targeted offer. No once in a lifetime exclusion verbiage. Old card cancelled on 11/2016, new card applied for in Feb 2017.

No bonus points posted by default, opened a ticket via chat to investigate. They were able to look up the application and discern that the application code I used did not include verbiage, and are investigating further.

Will update when the points post.

dukerau

Level 2 Member
Interesting (in a bad way). I've received 3 BRG bonuses of 75k each in the past 2-3 years thanks to targeted offers, and each time the bonus posted automatically. If you didn't organically achieve the required spend, I wouldn't expect the bonus, based on other recent Amex developments. If you did it organically, it sounds like they'll have to give you the bonus. I'm more concerned that these types of situations will lead Amex to dig up bonuses I earned inorganically in the past and claw back.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
Interesting (in a bad way). I've received 3 BRG bonuses of 75k each in the past 2-3 years thanks to targeted offers, and each time the bonus posted automatically. If you didn't organically achieve the required spend, I wouldn't expect the bonus, based on other recent Amex developments. If you did it organically, it sounds like they'll have to give you the bonus. I'm more concerned that these types of situations will lead Amex to dig up bonuses I earned inorganically in the past and claw back.
Yep, I was worried about the past also, but hopefully they don't look too far back.

I may have messed this one up though, since I messaged them prior to the autopost date asking when it was due, and they said I wasn't eligible. I accepted that.

Then nothing posted, and I HUCA, and they denied me again, where I then brought up that there was no verbiage.

So it is possible that my first interaction encouraged the CSR to manually block the auto-posting.

Points here were organic, and card was targeted.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I doubt one extra bonus is going to trigger a nation wide clawback.
I just meant for myself, I wouldn't think it would apply to everyone... IE my previous 75K bonus was from a targeted bonus from someone other than me, that I used.... which may be why they issued a real targeted offer for me this time around. If they figure that out, they may disqualify one or the other and end up in the same place.

LoveTravellingFree

Level 2 Member
I applied in April under a similar situation. Still working on it organically. However, I verified eligibility when I called to activate the card. The CSR even told me (on her own): don't forget, you can always buy gift cards to Home Depot if you are a little short on meeting the spending goal for your rental property business! I know that is drastically different than buying VGC, but was still surprised by it. Still not doing it though because I know I may need eyes on this one!

HariOm

Transcendent Level
Got the targeted offer for BRG 75k when logging into Amex site in April. No prohibitory language in offer. Second time getting signup bonus on card. Met spend organically; points posted immediately. Did not call.

dctech

Level 2 Member
I've gotten the BRG 75k awarded 3 times since March of last year. They keep sending the targeted offers to my old Blue Cash Everyday card, and I keep taking them up on them. 0% of any of them where earned organically.

newmacity

SO got a targeted offer on her PRG for Biz Plat 75K. She had literally cancelled her Biz Plat the week before. No lifetime language so she went for it. Met spend, points posted.

Come to think of it, her prior biz plat was from an offer targeted to someone else. So maybe there's a theme here.

JD101

Level 2 Member
The AmEx chat rep told me Amex keeps history upto 7 years, what that means is we might be able to get bonus again after 7 years even if they say once in a lifetime.

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
The AmEx chat rep told me Amex keeps history upto 7 years, what that means is we might be able to get bonus again after 7 years even if they say once in a lifetime.
Pretty much every bank has to get rid of personally identifying customer (and merchant) information after 7 years for regulatory compliance. I work for a bank, and much of my work in the last year was focused on automating this process.

It's possible they could track which cards you have held for more than 7 years, if you maintain a relationship with them though.