Argentina and Chile

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Looking for ideas from any that have traveled the southern portion of Argentina and Chile.

Specifically, we'd like to fly into USH and rent a car and drive to El Calafate - exploring along the way. I understand that if you have the right paperwork, it's possible to take the rental car between Argentina and Chile. However, I can't find a rental company that allows one way rental. We would be picking up and dropping off the rental in Argentina.

Does anyone have any experience with this or recommendations? We will have 6 full days (not counting flying days).

TIA!

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I don't have any experience with the car return, but yes, I love the itin. Exploring Southern Patagonia by road is wonderful. Every day I miss the yellow grass, guanacos roaming the side of the road, the mighty wind, and the ever-changing weather of TDP.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I couldn't do this online but a quick call to Avis said we could book the one way.

$1300 ugh. I have 11 months to shop this!

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
We did a one way in Chile from Santiago to Valparaiso. Called around and booked a local company instead of one of the big ones, and it was very reasonable. I forget what I paid, but think it was sub $100.

In addition to looking at local companies, what would your rates look like if you had two bookings, and kept each car in their respective countries? I wonder if cross the border adds something large here that you could remove.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
We did a one way in Chile from Santiago to Valparaiso. Called around and booked a local company instead of one of the big ones, and it was very reasonable. I forget what I paid, but think it was sub $100.

In addition to looking at local companies, what would your rates look like if you had two bookings, and kept each car in their respective countries? I wonder if cross the border adds something large here that you could remove.
Local companies sound like a good deal to check. Were you able to find them beforehand on the net or did you look for them when you got there? I've been searching all the rental car companies that come up, I believe I'll have to make some more phone calls.

I did book a refundable with Avis because the CSR said they only had 4 cars. Not sure what to make of that.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Have you tried Autoslash? I usually use them for one-way books. It lets the competition duke it out on my behalf.
Thank you for this. I made an inquiry and so far have gotten one quote from Hertz for $1260. At least that's in the right direction!

FindAWay

Level 2 Member
My wife and I went to Argentina and Chile for our honeymoon in 2012. We spent just under a week in Patagonia. Our favorite, by far, was visiting El Chalten (and hiking to Mt. Fitz Roy). We handled the back-and-forth to Chile by taking a tour, but, there were also bus options. Our favorite place we stayed was: http://www.ecocamp.travel/en/Domes .

Suzie

Level 2 Member
My wife and I went to Argentina and Chile for our honeymoon in 2012. We spent just under a week in Patagonia. Our favorite, by far, was visiting El Chalten (and hiking to Mt. Fitz Roy). We handled the back-and-forth to Chile by taking a tour, but, there were also bus options. Our favorite place we stayed was: http://www.ecocamp.travel/en/Domes .
Thank you! That looks like a great place. Do you happen to have a trip report that you can share?

Another question - did you go to Iguazu Falls while in Argentina? I made res at Sheraton which is supposedly right at the falls in the park. I have points to cover the stay. Read mixed reviews but it does have location!

FindAWay

Level 2 Member
Thank you! That looks like a great place. Do you happen to have a trip report that you can share?

Another question - did you go to Iguazu Falls while in Argentina? I made res at Sheraton which is supposedly right at the falls in the park. I have points to cover the stay. Read mixed reviews but it does have location!
Sorry, it was before I did TRs (we didn't visit Iguazu). But, here's a summary -

We redeemed SkyMiles for an open-jaw into SCL and back from EZE.

We spent 1-day in Santiago (probably enough for us). Then, we took a 7-hour bus over the Andes (with a view of Aconcagua) to Mendoza.

We spent 2 nights in Mendoza (including a full-day winery tour with trout and wine).

We flew MDZ-AEP-FTE. We drove straight from the airport to El Chalten (spent 2 nights).

We did an extreme (20+ miles) hike in El Chalten since we had only 1-day and the weather was ideal - we hiked to the base of Fitz Roy at Laguna Los Tres, then cut across toward Laguna Torre, and finally back to El Chalten.

The next day we drove back to El Calafate and we walked around FTE the rest of our first day ( we also drove to the viewing platform around sunset too with our Hertz rental car). The next day we did a tour hiking on Perito Moreno Glacier through Hielo y Aventura and returned our rental car.

Then we did a fully-day tour of Torres del Paine from El Calafate with South Road (but, we used them to make a customized tour where they dropped us off at the Eco Camp where we stayed for 2-nights and they helped us coordinate a bus back to El Calafate) - http://www.southroad.com.ar/lugares_calafate_9.php . We spent 2-nights in the Eco Domes and used our full-day there to hike to Las Tres Torres. We took our bus back to El Calafate.

The next morning we to Buenos Aires. We spent 3 nights in Buenos Aires. During one of the days, we took the ferry over to Colonia del Sacramento, Uruguay. Then, we flew back on our DL award (on DL).

Let me know if you have any more detailed questions.

kristian

Level 2 Member
WRT the one-way, international car rental, I don't think you are going to be able to make it work. Sorry I don't have any links but I did some research on FT prior to my last trip in 2016 and everything about it was going to be way, way more trouble and expense than any other option.

currid7

Level 2 Member
Hey, roping myself into this conversation, as we'll be doing Patagonia (other side) this December. Our itinerary is 2 nights in Buenos Aires, 3 nights in Santiago, 7 nights doing the loop in Torres del Paine. Booked MSY-EZE with AA, EZE-SCL-MIA I booked LAN biz with AS miles, SCL-PUQ I'll use WF Rewards, and the last leg MIA-MSY will be with WF Rewards. Hotels are Buenos Aires Palacio Duhau (Hyatt card nights), 3 nights in GH Santiago (not booked yet), probably last night before flying out early will be in Holiday Inn SCL airport (20k). After the airfare/hotels are booked, we'll set up the buses and then map out the loop / camping!

I've always wanted to go to Patagonia and I am so pumped. I'm an Eagle Scout so have done plenty of camping, but this will be my wife's first overnight hike. She's a photog so I cannot wait to see her face when we see this place.

I realize this thread's mainly about the other side of Patagonia, but just looping myself in! I know after going there, we will NEED to check out Calafate.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Hey, roping myself into this conversation, as we'll be doing Patagonia (other side) this December. Our itinerary is 2 nights in Buenos Aires, 3 nights in Santiago, 7 nights doing the loop in Torres del Paine. Booked MSY-EZE with AA, EZE-SCL-MIA I booked LAN biz with AS miles, SCL-PUQ I'll use WF Rewards, and the last leg MIA-MSY will be with WF Rewards. Hotels are Buenos Aires Palacio Duhau (Hyatt card nights), 3 nights in GH Santiago (not booked yet), probably last night before flying out early will be in Holiday Inn SCL airport (20k). After the airfare/hotels are booked, we'll set up the buses and then map out the loop / camping!

I've always wanted to go to Patagonia and I am so pumped. I'm an Eagle Scout so have done plenty of camping, but this will be my wife's first overnight hike. She's a photog so I cannot wait to see her face when we see this place.

I realize this thread's mainly about the other side of Patagonia, but just looping myself in! I know after going there, we will NEED to check out Calafate.
We're using AA for LAN biz also. My son is an Eagle Scout also and my husband was his Scout Leader for a couple years, in addition to 20 years in the military. So I'm in good hands!

Let's hope the electronics ban isn't more comprehensive and include SA by the time of our trips. Was a real PITA coming home from Doha. I'm looking forward to waking up to Mt Fitz Roy.

Love to hear your plans as they develop.

italdesign

Level 2 Member
If anyone wasn't aware, Grand Hyatt Santiago is leaving Hyatt in July.

Code:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/05/09/grand-hyatt-santiago-becoming-mandarin-oriental/

currid7

Level 2 Member
If anyone wasn't aware, Grand Hyatt Santiago is leaving Hyatt in July.

Code:
http://onemileatatime.boardingarea.com/2017/05/09/grand-hyatt-santiago-becoming-mandarin-oriental/
Yep, I posted this on Reddit (churning & award travel). From what I read, as long as you book before 7/31, they'll honor point stays. Not sure about status, upgrade, etc but we never bank on those anyways.

Ts & Cs: Redemption of World of Hyatt free nights for stays after the change in operator (00:00 hours of August 1, 2017), requested and confirmed prior to July 31, 2017 will be honored as booked.

smittytabb

Staff member
Just chiming in here. I have family in Santiago and have traveled fairly widely in both Chile and Argentina. Patagonia is wonderful on both sides. It's a very special trip.

The GH Santiago is worth a stay now if you can before it becomes a Mandarin Oriental and the price skyrockets. It has been under construction for some time, and my understanding is that they are doing a major redo starting after July 31.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Looking to book airbnb in Buenos Aires.

Best neighborhoods? Would like a walking neighborhood close to good restaurants.

From what I gathered from researching - Recoleta and Palermo seem the best fit.

Any suggestions/opinions/experience?

Thank you!

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
We're thinking about Patagonia in a year (Nov 2018). I'd love to use my avios that I've been sitting on for years for some of the internal flights, or even to get down to EZE or SCL. Has anyone had luck doing that? We have 200,000+ avios to burn.

kristian

Level 2 Member
We're thinking about Patagonia in a year (Nov 2018). I'd love to use my avios that I've been sitting on for years for some of the internal flights, or even to get down to EZE or SCL. Has anyone had luck doing that? We have 200,000+ avios to burn.
Don't know your routing but I had a great trip that included 4 Avios tix for each of the following legs:

AUA-BOG
BOG-SCL
SCL-MDZ

kristian

Level 2 Member

Best neighborhoods? Would like a walking neighborhood close to good restaurants.

Thank you!
Personally, I would choose Recoleta because of the historical feel. I really enjoy just walking around a neighborhood and taking in sights.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
And while it was 2 years ago now, we were able to book:

LIM->CUZ
CUZ->PEM
PEM->CUZ
CUZ->LIM
LIM->UIO (Quito)

All on Avios. Most of them were 4500 Avios each + $10 fees. The UIO flight, being international, was (fixed) 7500 + $30 each. We ended up canceling the PEM/Amazon leg and stayed longer in Cuzco. I was refunded the miles but lost the taxes/fees for these ($20 - terrible!) Poke around the BA website for prototype flights. We booked ours early but I believe flights were available pretty close to departure as we considered a couple of tweaks. This was a trip in April of 2015.

I had a huge allotment of Avios saved for this. Turns out after I booked everything I *still* had a large collection of Avios. Still working on using them - one flight in Sept intra South Africa was booked using Avios.

I had booked an AA flight to LIM with Avios, but it got changed and there were unable to find a workable replacement that late in the game. So we refunded and went with a AA directly at quite a point-cost.

Last edited:

smittytabb

Staff member

Thank you!
I've spent some time in BsAs and have stayed in several different neighborhoods. I also would suggest Recoleta. I just like it. My daughters have traveled there together and they really liked Palermo Soho, which is probably hipper.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
And while it was 2 years ago now, we were able to book:

LIM->CUZ
CUZ->PEM
PEM->CUZ
CUZ->LIM
LIM->UIO (Quito)

All on Avios. Most of them were 4500 Avios each + $10 fees. The UIO flight, being international, was (fixed) 7500 + $30 each. We ended up canceling the PEM/Amazon leg and stayed longer in Cuzco. I was refunded the miles but lost the taxes/fees for these ($20 - terrible!) Poke around the BA website for prototype flights. We booked ours early but I believe flights were available pretty close to departure as we considered a couple of tweaks. This was a trip in April of 2015.

I had a huge allotment of Avios saved for this. Turns out after I booked everything I *still* had a large collection of Avios. Still working on using them - one flight in Sept intra South Africa was booked using Avios.

I had booked an AA flight to LIM with Avios, but it got changed and there were unable to find a workable replacement that late in the game. So we refunded and went with a AA directly at quite a point-cost.
Thanks @kristian.887 and @knick1959, this is encouraging. We're not sure of our itinerary but we think we're going to the far south.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I've spent some time in BsAs and have stayed in several different neighborhoods. I also would suggest Recoleta. I just like it. My daughters have traveled there together and they really liked Palermo Soho, which is probably hipper.
Thanks @smittytabb

I think we are going with a place in Palermo Soho. We found a place there that we loved from the pics and reviews, I'm glad to hear I'll be hip! :D

Really looking forward to this!

Suzie

Level 2 Member
We used Avios in Peru last year with no problems. Not having the same luck in Argentina. Calling BA has been a waste of time - no availability. The Latam routes also don't work as well for us as AR. Hoping to use the Avios in South Africa fall next year.

I'm using TU's to book AR flights. Canceling or downgrading some cc's so good time to use them, and when I compared all the flights between TU's, UR's and MR's, TU's seem to be the best redemption.

These are for domestic Argentina flights:

AEP-FTE-IGR-AEP

kristian

Level 2 Member
We used Avios in Peru last year with no problems. Not having the same luck in Argentina. Calling BA has been a waste of time - no availability. The Latam routes also don't work as well for us as AR. Hoping to use the Avios in South Africa fall next year.

I'm using TU's to book AR flights. Canceling or downgrading some cc's so good time to use them, and when I compared all the flights between TU's, UR's and MR's, TU's seem to be the best redemption.

These are for domestic Argentina flights:

AEP-FTE-IGR-AEP
One more option you might want to think about just in case :)

A few years back I was able to book Aerolineas with Delta pesos. We did a circle AEP-MDZ-BRC-EZE!

Two of the tix priced out at 30k and the third was 20k. Why, I don't know, but the paid itin was north of $800 per ticket. Probably the best skymiles redemption in history. Well, my limited history.

Suzie

Level 2 Member

A few years back I was able to book Aerolineas with Delta pesos. We did a circle AEP-MDZ-BRC-EZE!

Two of the tix priced out at 30k and the third was 20k. Why, I don't know, but the paid itin was north of $800 per ticket. Probably the best skymiles redemption in history. Well, my limited history.

Alas, I have no pesos. Thank you for the suggestion. That sounds like a great itinerary. I'm all in - no cash - with the TU's. Between us we have a million MR's and UR's (combined) that we have plans to blow later!

Suzie

Level 2 Member
MR's = SkyPesos
Yes, thank you. We're saving our MR's for a later trip. I don't have DL pesos and did not want to transfer MR's. Also, it appeared that booking on the DL site that I would have to pay taxes/fees in addition to miles. I'm all in with TU's.

Last edited:

italdesign

Level 2 Member
Intra-South American air ticket prices can be ridiculously high, at least when searching on US website. I've heard it can be more reasonable on local website, though haven't tried myself.

This reminds me of something I experienced on a recent trip. It became apparent that my redemption-based itin was very different from that of everyone I met. One reason is that many programs charge a flat redemption rate for a massive region, while paid rates vary quite a bit within the same region. Thus, many of our redemptions price out rather high in paid rate, making us feel great about value, but no paying customer would actually pay for such an option. Similarly, I can say a hotel redemption got a value of 3 CPP based on the paid rate at this particular hotel, but often there are much cheaper cash alternatives without much sacrifice, which is what normal people are paying (and which is what I'd be paying if I didn't have points).

Don't mean to single you out, just got reminded of something that was on my mind :)

kristian

Level 2 Member
Perhaps you misunderstood the point of my post. It was not necessarily meant as a "WOW I got X cents per point!"

Having lived and traveled around South America for a couple years, over a year in Argentina, I was able to buy the local tickets that cost around $100 per leg. But, and it's a very big but, this would usually involve multiple days finding a compliant travel agent and or ticketing agent at the airport. Local tickets "require" a DNI, kinda like an SSN. As a young couple with backpacks, beating the system and getting the local tickets was fun! Traveling as a family with a limited number of days it sounds like a bad dream.