TSA Precheck – should you wait for your companion?

asthejoeflies

Staff member

So the other day I semi threw my friend under the bus in my Chase Reserve for dummies post. Of course, she’s such a nice person she thanked me for it so what’s a troll to do? If at first you don’t succeed, try try again! It’s Friday and I feel like having some fun, so I thought I’d discuss another one of my friend’s views that I disagree with. I think that if someone has TSA Precheck, they should go through regardless of whether their companion does or not. She, being a nice person, thinks you should wait. So let me share my reasons why you should NOT wait for your companions who don’t have TSA Precheck. While most of my reasons assume a line of fifteen minutes or more, I still think they apply to short lines.

Of course, these are just my opinions and you’re welcome to share yours in the poll and comments below.

Look at this line at MCO – would you make someone you love suffer with you in it?
1. You probably paid for it

First things first, TSA Precheck (or Global Entry) costs money. Someone who has this benefit likely paid for it. The counterargument I’m likely to hear? “But you probably only have Precheck because your credit card reimbursed you!”

Well, miles and points friends, we can’t have it both ways. We can’t use the Global Entry credit to justify the annual fee in our mind (offsetting the cost) and then say that we got Global Entry for “free.” Global Entry cost us something whether we got reimbursed or not. And in the case of Global Entry, we had to go to that accursed interview (still impossible to sign up for in Boston!).

So for starters, if you wait for your friend, you’re giving up something you paid for. If they ask you to wait for them, they are asking you to sacrifice something you paid for. So acknowledge that fact.

This family pretends they are happy but the husband HATES taking off his shoes (Photo Credit | monkeybusinessimages, bigstock.com)
2. You can take care of stuff post security to make your companions’ travel easier

OK, so it’s not great to leave someone behind, I get that. And if you just wait on the other side of security for them, you possibly should just have waited with them in the first place. BUT, you could also buy them something to eat, go check in with the gate agent to get better seats, go to the bathroom so you can watch their stuff once they get through so they can go to the bathroom unencumbered, ET CETERA.

More importantly, if you’re traveling with kids under the age of 13, they can go through TSA Precheck with you. Should they really have to wait with the non TSA Precheck person? Imagine how settled you could get the kids into the airport with the extra time!

3. Why take off your shoes and take out your laptop?

If you go through the TSA Precheck line, you don’t take out your laptop or liquids and keep your shoes on. But if you wait with your non TSA Precheck companion, you’ve gotta take off your shoes and take out your laptop. Again, non TSA Precheck person – why would you subject your friend to this? It can be such a hassle and it takes extra time.

Moreover, do you know who else gets their time wasted? Other people in the non TSA Precheck line! One function of TSA Precheck is lightening the load on the regular security line. By asking your TSA Precheck friend to wait with you in the regular line, you are increasing everyone else’s wait as well. Shame.

4. You will probably smell worse

Do you know what happens when you wait in line for 20+ minutes? You start getting stressed out about missing your flight (especially if you’re used to showing up at TSA Precheck times!). So then you start getting hot, sweaty, and uncomfortable. This may or may not result in you smelling worse depending on your genetic makeup. Who will receive the bulk of your odors? Your companion, who made you stand in line with them!

Do you really want to leave your loved one in this?
Reasons to wait for your companion

You’re nice, I guess? But answer me this – if you really loved this person, wouldn’t you have bought TSA Precheck for them in the first place? It will be way more useful for five years than any earrings or wallet or tie you might think to purchase. So think upon that!

Anyway, I know my feelings on the matter seem strong…that is because they are. But in all seriousness, I’m genuinely curious, what do people think the etiquette should be around TSA/no TSA Precheck. I’m like 90% certain Jess wouldn’t make me wait for her – like I’ve said before sometimes space can be a good thing. But yeah, let me know in the comments or the below poll – should you wait for your non TSA Precheck companion?

Poll

TSA Precheck

• Should you wait for your companion who doesn't have TSA Precheck? (in the majority of cases)
    • Never
    • Only if the line is less than ten minutes
    • Always, jerk!

Continue reading...

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
Never wait - what a ridiculous notion.

If you're prone to guilt, offer to stand in the Starbucks line while waiting for them to come through. That line is nearly as long at the security line.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
When I first got pre-check I had to use it, met the wife and kids on the other side.... Used the time to get breakfast so I wouldn't get in too much trouble :)

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I believe that if your boarding pass says TSO Precheck, you can go through the regular line without taking your shoes off. Not positive but I believe this so.

R.R.

Level 2 Member
I was tempted to say that I would personally wait with non-PreCheck Spouse if the line was short & I didn't have a laptop or other hassles to contend with. But Spouse said, "Hell no! If you get PreCheck, go use it. I'll meet you later when I get through!" Isn't that sweet?

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
As I wrote in the blog section, if everyone who has PreCheck, and is traveling with someone without it, waits in the regular line, all they really manage to do is to make the regular line longer than it already is. Which is a net loss for the people in that line.

Until Husband got around to getting his GE, I just went through on my own. Because he's a big boy, and is capable of standing in line by himself. Also, on return from another country, that meant that one of us was at the baggage carrel and could grab the bags so the next line would be shorter for both of us.

CreditDratini

Level 2 Member
Why would anyone wait? I definitely don't wait lol. There's always something to do past security. Buying food/drinks or handling things with the gate clerk are the top errands for me. More time to volunteer to be moved to another flight for compensation!

R.R.

Level 2 Member
Why would anyone wait?
In my household, it's considerate to ask the non-PreCheck person if they have any need for the PreCheck person to wait. Usually, the answer is no. However, once, Spouse had a hand injury and needed help doing the most mundane things (and yep, this happened the day before leaving on a 4-week European junket -- great timing!). So, logically, the answer seems obvious -- but in reality, the answer varies from trip to trip and is never assumed.