International Power Strip

cheztir

Level 2 Member
Many frequent travelers carry a power strip or splitter with them. Whether it's due to too few sockets at the terminal, a conference hall having a single plug for dozens of laptops, or a hotel room with sockets so loose it's amazing they haven't started a fire, having a power strip is useful. Typically I carry a trusty APC surge protector/power strip with an insanely long cord, however as of late I've found myself working with more international partners. I wanted a new solution that worked for everyone regardless of plug type or power level, that's when I found this:

An international surge protector. (I purposely haven't included links as this isn't a review of a single product but rather a type). The wall connector is a euro style so for the US I'll always need an adapter but I wasn't certain about always using a 120v US plug/wires on a 240v system and I'd rather be safe than sorry. This strip has been the biggest help at industry events where everyone has a different style connector and there are never enough plugs to go around.

So FYI if you find yourself in situations where international adapters are a common sight and plugs are scarce you might find this a helpful additional to your carry-on.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I've been using a standard US mini power strip and a single universal adapter to plug it in. With the right versatile adapter, any power strip is international ready. Well, as long as all electronics chargers are 220v capable (and mine are).

cheztir

Level 2 Member
I've been using a standard US mini power strip and a single universal adapter to plug it in. With the right versatile adapter, any power strip is international ready. Well, as long as all electronics chargers are 220v capable (and mine are).
This was the method I thought I'd use before I bought one of these. As I learned (by blowing the breaker to my hotel room) US surge protectors don't like 240v, which makes sense considering they're designed to prevent anything outside of 90-130v. A dumb power strip wouldn't care but I'd be concerned about improper wire gauges being used internally. Since my job requires work with some niche/expensive but portable items I don't want to risk a surge destroying anything.

This strip also has value for me as I can always remove a device (lamp, projector, etc.) from the wall and know it can fit into the power strip without an adapter.

tl;dr: US power strip on 240v = good; US surge protector on 240v = bad.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Interesting. Thinking back, there was some kind of power issue that I think WE caused at the Mayfair Hotel in London. That was a while back, but I was pretty sure something we plugged in blew a circuit. They fixed it fast enough, and I was more careful after that. I'll have to look at this situation again, thanks. But I would prefer something as small as the mini thing I have already.

cheztir

Level 2 Member
I don't blame you at all, if I ever found a more compact version of this I'd buy it in a heartbeat. If I didn't have a mix of international plugs I'd likely stick with the same setup you have.

I just wanted this to serve as an FYI to those traveling abroad (and hopefully to avoid repeating my mistakes).