Internet Banking Recommendations?

labboypro

Chief Factotum
I've used Discover (filed and won CFPB complaint with then when they manipulated deposit data that generated fees), and am currently using Ally (whose CS is NOT as good as the "what's the best online bank" shill-review sites will tell you). I'd like to know if there are better options out there for me. I have assorted trading-type accounts at AMTD and Fidelity, but haven't heard much about the quality of their banking products. I'm kind of Chase'd out... I use their CC's relentlessly, but their branch banking in my are are garbage... and my a**hole neighbor works for them, so bonus. WF is... well... WF, and they're still spamming me weekly with "billpay reminder" emails for an account I closed in 2014 (yes... 2014. And I've talked to several levels of CS, who claim they aren't sending me emails... even when I pull them up on my phone and show them, including valid headers, in person..l clearly they're "too big to fail").

I don't need anything exotic. ADB is around $75k, with a fair amount of in/out flow. Deposits come from SO's paycheck DD and BT's from a local bank where I shuffle a fair amount of money around. Account ought to pay me some kind of trivial interest for all that money sitting there. I need reliable billpay... not some 3rd party crap like my local bank uses (SO says it looks like some kind of 'hacker site' when you billpay with them-- she's not computer literate, so it's kind of funny when she says it). I don't really need an app, so long as browser banking is workable. But, if they do have one, I don't want to have to be Ansel Adams just to mobile deposit the occasional check. I don't really care about heavy ATM access... I've used the Ally ATM exactly once in 2 years... but it's nice to know it's there. And finally... I'd like 'best in class' customer service. I don't need service much, but when I do, I don't want to have to jump through hoops, wait, wait, wait, repeat myself, get a lot of canned answers that clearly indicate the respondent didn't bother to read what I wrote the first time, etc.

I may be asking a lot... but I don't think it unreasonable. Of course, I'm old and crusty.

Any recommendations are appreciated.

BuddyFunJet

Level 2 Member
With a $75k ADB, I'd suggest that you look at BankDirect for the AA miles it pays. Would be over 5k miles per month for a $12 fee.

Been there over 15 years and never needed their customer service so I can't speak to that. Their billpay is third party and not great but works OK for me. The miles earned more than make up for the issue to me.

RRD

Level 2 Member
I love GS bank. Decent interest rate, immediate money deposits, and great customer service.

labboypro

Chief Factotum
I love GS bank. Decent interest rate, immediate money deposits, and great customer service.
Do you have some kind of legacy account? I looked at them before (now called Marcus) and only saw savings products... no checking? Did I miss something?

MickiSue

Level 2 Member
I suggest you google “online banking”, and find what suits you. People have different needs. And,frankly, most of us are hesitant to share what’s working for US, when the reality of banking for MSers is that we get accounts closed down for big deposits/ACH payments pretty regularly.

labboypro

Chief Factotum
I suggest you google “online banking”, and find what suits you. People have different needs. And,frankly, most of us are hesitant to share what’s working for US, when the reality of banking for MSers is that we get accounts closed down for big deposits/ACH payments pretty regularly.
Thanks for recommending this Google thing, whatever it is. I was actually looking for recommendations based on real experiences from the valued members of this community, not just a list of features. Also, I didn't realize checking account recommendations fell into the "first rule of fight club" domain. My mistake.

RRD

Level 2 Member
Do you have some kind of legacy account? I looked at them before (now called Marcus) and only saw savings products... no checking? Did I miss something?
Sorry, I only have a savings there. Chase is my main checking bank, which I am equally pleased with.

cocobird

Level 2 Member
I have used Alliant Credit Union as my main online banking relationship for over a decade. Checking account interest pays 0.65 percent, no minimum, no fees. The savings account pays 1.80%. ACH is superb with next day availability for incoming. Non bank ATM usage is reimbursed up to $10 per month (and there is a free credit union ATM national network). I also have CDs (decent rates, but not amazing), home loan, and home equity loan. Must like online banking because they are in the process of closing most of their offices to focus on e-banking. They are a large, financially sound institution.. I have been quite happy with Alliant.

madage

Level 2 Member
I have used Alliant Credit Union as my main online banking relationship for over a decade. Checking account interest pays 0.65 percent, no minimum, no fees. The savings account pays 1.80%. ACH is superb with next day availability for incoming. Non bank ATM usage is reimbursed up to $10 per month (and there is a free credit union ATM national network). I also have CDs (decent rates, but not amazing), home loan, and home equity loan. Must like online banking because they are in the process of closing most of their offices to focus on e-banking. They are a large, financially sound institution.. I have been quite happy with Alliant.
Also very happy with Alliant since joining in 2010. One small correction: the monthly fee reimbursement max is $20.

cocobird

Level 2 Member
Also very happy with Alliant since joining in 2010. One small correction: the monthly fee reimbursement max is $20.
Thanks for the information. I don't actually use their ATM system much, so that's nice to know in case I need to use it more.

StealthyMSer

Level 2 Member
Personally I suggest you look in your area for small community banks or credit unions. Pretty much all the banks/CUs are using the same copy/paste software model so it all looks the same. I have a credit union account back in michigan and one in the state I currently live in and they both use identical bill pay software.

If you value customer service, a small bank or credit union can do that for you.

If you can tell by my name, I do like to MS on credit cards with plenty of banks but at the end of the day, I use a small credit union for my day-to-day banking needs.

For my MSing needs, I actually use another small credit union in my area Mostly because they don't even bat an eye if I deposit a 2K money order every day or something like that (They know what I do, and they are allowing me to continue). I still use them as a seperate account to keep my MS and organic expenses seperate.

Otherwise, i've heard charles schwab has a really good checking account. You need to open up a brokerage account alongside it, but you don't have to use it. Their customer service is supposed to be very good but I haven't used them personally.

churning_medic

I know this is late, but I've never had any issues with Ally, customer service has been excellent for me. But with that said, the only real reason I'd leave them is because they recently lowered their interest rate. In any case, I recently transfered some money to Discover Bank for a signup bonus. didn't really deal with their CS, but the bonus hit my account within 2 days of deposit. Their website seems good. Marcus by Goldman Sachs I've heard good things about, but never used them. Wealthfront has a new product with a high interest rate. It's also technically not a savings account so you don't have to worry about making more than 6 transfers, make as many as you want.

Redneck Bank is an honorable mention just for the sheer humor of it, but I have zero experience with them.

volker

Level 2 Member
the only real reason I'd leave them is because they recently lowered their interest rate.
Ally lowered their interest by 0.1% after the fed lowered theirs. Is this really a good reason to change the main checking account? If you have $100k in cash (e.g. for emergency) you want to park that in a CD latter or the no-penalty 11month CD from Ally anyway. Their interest rate is still high and Ally was from the start on always on the high side and when the fed increase the interest rate Ally always increased their rate quick and without even contacting them, too.

I don't say don't move away from Ally. There are a few other good alternatives others mentioned here. There might or might not be good reasons for switching. I can come up with more valid/costly reasons like their fees vs. the new fees from Discover (in case you ever face them which I never did), the reduction of ATM fee reimbursement, .... I just struggle to understand your reasoning after seeing how the checking & interest market itself changed over the last years.

churning_medic

I'm not saying I'm switching, I probably won't. Just that if I had a reason to at all, it would probably be that. But they've been good to me, never had an issue. With that said, Wealthfront's product does look interesting, I like that they have no caps on transfers unlike Ally and Marcus and the interest rate is significantly higher. If anything I'd probably keep Ally for my checking account (since Wealthfront doesn't have a checking account) and transfer money over as needed. But to be honest, I don't think it's worth the hassle.