Marriott Gold Elite after August

Suzie

Level 2 Member
I have Marriott Gold Elite through SPG Gold Elite from Amex Plat. I understand that after Aug merge, gold elite no longer receives breakfast nor lounge access. I have Marriott reservation in late Aug that was made many months ago. My reservation confirmation states breakfast and lounge. Does anyone know or have a good guess as to whether or not they will honor the benes for reservations made prior to announcement? The res is for non US location if that makes a difference.

I could apply for the Ritz Carlton, but am hesitant due to reported Chase shutdowns. My last Chase card was in Sept 2016, but I've gotten 6 personal and 6 biz cards since that time.

Advice, thoughts, knowledge appreciated!

Thank you!

notalent

Michael Bolton
From what I've read, the benefits end no matter when the reservation was made. I'm in a similar boat I've got a stay planned for October that I booked months ago planning to have lounge access.

It's worth an ask when you are there, or call in and threaten to cancel if you don't get the benefits you thought you would get at the time off booking

Suzie

Level 2 Member
From what I've read, the benefits end no matter when the reservation was made. I'm in a similar boat I've got a stay planned for October that I booked months ago planning to have lounge access.

It's worth an ask when you are there, or call in and threaten to cancel if you don't get the benefits you thought you would get at the time off booking
I'm booked on points so they probably don't care if I cancel. It's only two nights, but I did choose the hotel based on the benefits.

Sorry to hear you're in the same boat.

Josh F

Level 2 Member
Charity Forum Mod
I have Marriott Gold Elite through SPG Gold Elite from Amex Plat. I understand that after Aug merge, gold elite no longer receives breakfast nor lounge access. I have Marriott reservation in late Aug that was made many months ago. My reservation confirmation states breakfast and lounge. Does anyone know or have a good guess as to whether or not they will honor the benes for reservations made prior to announcement? The res is for non US location if that makes a difference.

I could apply for the Ritz Carlton, but am hesitant due to reported Chase shutdowns. My last Chase card was in Sept 2016, but I've gotten 6 personal and 6 biz cards since that time.

Advice, thoughts, knowledge appreciated!

Thank you!
The status/benefits you receive during a visit is based on the status/benefits offered at time of check-in (keeping in mind that some hotels may process upgrades a day or two early). So technically no breakfast nor lounge access. I suspect not all hotels will instantly switch everything over immediately on 8/1 - but I wouldn't get your hopes up. Keep in mind this benefit never applied to Marriott Resorts, so if they throw the word Resort in their name - no breakfast/lounge benefits. I suppose you could always plead your case - but YMMV.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Thank you. No, it's not a resort - it's the Kigali Marriott and my reservation states breakfast and lounge access. I was inquiring as to whether they would honor those benefits for reservations made before the new/lack of benefits were announced.

I'm keeping the reservation and will of course politely inquire/ask about receiving the benefits.

I've had luck before - made SPG reservation in Iguazu that was subsequently sold to Melia - they not only honored the points, but gave us the free breakfast for 3 mornings. Hopefully I'll be lucky again.

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Yes I am! I had called Marriott after posting this thread and they told me then that I would be Plat. But I wasn't counting on it!

Suzie

Level 2 Member
Pleased to report that even though I went from gold elite to plat elite back to gold elite in the blink of an eye, the Kigali Marriott is giving me lounge access (which is awesome here) and breakfast. No glitch.