Retention Bonuses

Cytraveler

Level 2 Member
I called recently for personal plat. Got nothing; he said call back closer tot he month cutoff. It's true that I haven't spent much on it - and what's really irritating is that I had the 100k clawed back. I got the biz plat in January and have put more spend on that, paying taxes (I have lots of taxes...). So we'll see in another couple weeks, but I'm not too optimistic.

DavidNJ

Level 2 Member
Received 30K pts retention for Amex Platinum & Wife & I both had $69 fee waived for our Barclay's Wyndham 2 pt cards for 3rd year in a row. We each receive 15K Wyndham pt bonus on anniversary.

turtlelurker

Level 2 Member
Got the Amex Plat last may when they had the 100k bonus and AF came up end of May...
I called several times before that to see what kind of retention bonus I could get and max I got was 10k (after all the offers of redeeming my points towards AF!o_O No thank you) Decided I would wait till AF posts and call again.
Called in today (BTW direct number to retention: 1 (800) 452-3945) and spoke to a nice man Kevin who right of the bat gave me the best offer he saw available on my account $150 or 15k after 3k and 5k immediately to keep the card. I asked him about a 30k offer and he said if it was here I would give it to you but thats all it shows me for now.

Interesting things Kevin did tell me was :

1) He could see how many times I called in before to speak to someone about this matter

2) He mentioned that retention offers change very often. He said one time he saw it change from an offer to no offer in a matter of 30 minutes from someone who happened to call in twice and that he has no control over it. I told him I would keep on calling till I get the 30k offer or until my 30 days are up and he seemed fine with it!

Hope at least some of that DP was helpful :)

haserfauld

Level 2 Member
Also working the AMEX Plat angle. I don't hold any other MR cards, though, so I may be stuck keeping it if even if I don't get the answer I want.

Panache

Level 2 Member
I can only play the HUCA game so long. After 2 calls to get some offer on Amex MB Plat and nothing, I canceled. Only $4K spend on card, though.
On PRG, I got a 10 K point offer for $1 K spend when I called 2 months ago or a $75 statement credit. Took the credit but now I regret paying $100 for a card I barely use.

Got the 2x SPG offer on $10K spend on my SPG biz card so kept it open as SO has sights on a week in Paris next year. With those 20 K SPG, we will have more than enough for Marriott Cat 8.

Guess this will be the year of the Amex cull for me -- SPG personal is next in Sept....

Dangaroo

Level 2 Member
Called in 1.5 weeks ago on wife's Amex Plat after seeing multiple reports of $300/30k offers and best I could get was 5k now + 15k for spend. My plan was actually to get a retention bonus and then still cancel the card since her AF was due now and didn't want to pay it regardless since she's a free AU on my ameriprise right now. HUCA'd and got the same offer. Decided not worth it and cancelled.

kurt9769

awardflights.co
Anyone have any luck getting retention offers on the Arrival+? I run about $30k a month through it for my business (about to move a good portion of that over to the Alliant 3x card) but I've never been able to get a retention offer.

GetawaysRus

Level 2 Member
Arrival+ is tough. I was running about 100K annually through this card. Year 1 I was successful at getting the annual fee waived. But in Year 2 I could not get any type of retention offer, no way no how.

If you call, try to get transferred to a supervisor. It was my impression that front line phone reps do not have the ability to offer any type of retention offer.

turtlelurker

Level 2 Member
Anyone have any luck getting retention offers on the Arrival+? I run about $30k a month through it for my business (about to move a good portion of that over to the Alliant 3x card) but I've never been able to get a retention offer.
From what I remember reading it is pretty common to get the fee waived the first time for most Barclay cards

Flanmann

Level 2 Member
Amex Everyday Preferred- heavy use through the year. 2 options: $50 credit after $1000 spend in 3 months, or 2500 points now, plus 5000 after $1000 spend in 3 months. Took the points.

Panache

Level 2 Member
Don't forget you have the $100 airline credit on the PRG.

Yeah, it will be a net gain once I use the credit again next year, didn't think of that.

GetawaysRus

Level 2 Member
Citi AA Business Mastercard:

I admit that I rarely use this card. SAAver awards on AA have gotten quite scarce, so I have shifted my spend elsewhere.

Last year they offered a $95 credit if I made 5 charges totaling $95.

This year I called twice. No offers whatsoever on either call. So I closed the account. (I still have a personal Citi AA card. Annual fee hits on that in a few months. Wish me luck.)

bradfol8

Level 2 Member
Citi AA Business Mastercard:

I admit that I rarely use this card. SAAver awards on AA have gotten quite scarce, so I have shifted my spend elsewhere.

Last year they offered a $95 credit if I made 5 charges totaling $95.

This year I called twice. No offers whatsoever on either call. So I closed the account. (I still have a personal Citi AA card. Annual fee hits on that in a few months. Wish me luck.)
That's interesting. I called just last week and received a $95 credit statement on a $95 spend as well as 1k spend every month for 2k aa miles every month for a year ($95 was included in the 1k spend deal). YMMV

Flanmann

Level 2 Member
Citi Prestige offers:
  • $50 statement credit for each month when spending $1500 per month, applicable for next 7 months- $350 total credit- Accepted
  • $200 statement credit for spending $4k/month for 3 months- Hard Pass
  • 10k TYP for spending $3k in 6 months- Passed
  • extra TYP on all purchases for 6 months, up to $50k spend- Good offer, but not for me

Flanmann

Level 2 Member
SPG personal- mediocre usage, 2 years old:
  • $100 statement credit
  • 7500 points for $1000 spend/3 months
Took the statement credit, which ends up being a profit from the $65 annual fee.

Jackgamer

Level 2 Member
  • $100 statement credit
Took the statement credit, which ends up being a profit from the $65 annual fee.
Wow that's amazing!

I just called a couple times for my SPG personal and NOTHING:mad:

idearr

Level 2 Member
Chase Sapphire Preferred - use card moderately. Called last night late, no offers - called this morning during normal business hours, offered $60 statement credit. Was surprised to get an offer. (Got the same $60 credit offer last year and that was after a few years of being shot down on retention calls).

Flanmann

Level 2 Member
Tough break for me on the CSR.. both regular rep and retention guy basically said their card was the best of the big 3, so they didn't need to retain people. Unfortunately for me, they are right! I just said thanks anyway. :/

Zip

That's unfortunate, I hope they budge a little before my renewal in December. Of course, I'll probably keep the card anyway due to the travel insurance.

GRiZ

Level 2 Member
Has anyone had any luck with CSR? So far every DP I've seen has been no.
It's currently my only AF card, I've been using kinda regularly but not with huge purchases, so I feel like I'm not their target customer.

Citi Prestige offers:
  • $50 statement credit for each month when spending $1500 per month, applicable for next 7 months- $350 total credit- Accepted
  • $200 statement credit for spending $4k/month for 3 months- Hard Pass
  • 10k TYP for spending $3k in 6 months- Passed
  • extra TYP on all purchases for 6 months, up to $50k spend- Good offer, but not for me
I got that last offer on a regular card, it's not as lucrative (because of .5cpp) but also easier to get because they're not as careful about MS.

idearr

Level 2 Member
United Explorer card - annual fee hit, called and explained I've not been able to use the club passes (turned away when lounge was too busy two different times this year). Late night call a few nights ago, no offers. Called yesterday during business hours, no fee waiver possible but they did offer me 3000 points to keep the card open - accepted (I had no intention of canceling).

Flanmann

Level 2 Member
Called for Amex Personal Platinum: only offer was 15k for $2k spend in 3 mo. Minimal spend other than airline purchases on the card. Accepted.

Called for SPG personal Amex: only offer was 7k for $1k spend in 3 mo. Only a couple thousand of spend last year. Accepted.

Panache

Level 2 Member
no offer on my Barclay Aviator card this time around, usually they were quite forthcoming in waiving the AF. Downgraded to the no-AF version.

ramonortiz55

Level 2 Member
Called for Amex Personal Platinum: only offer was 15k for $2k spend in 3 mo. Minimal spend other than airline purchases on the card. Accepted.

Called for SPG personal Amex: only offer was 7k for $1k spend in 3 mo. Only a couple thousand of spend last year. Accepted.
This is great!

How long have you owned the SPG personal Amex?

ramonortiz55

Level 2 Member
  • $100 statement credit

Noticed both of your posts,

So you've called for retention offers twice within a few months?

El Ingeniero

Level 2 Member
no offer on my Barclay Aviator card this time around, usually they were quite forthcoming in waiving the AF. Downgraded to the no-AF version.
Same with me at the beginning of the year and I downgraded to the NAF card.

Saving grace was a general offer for 5K AA miles for spending $1K in in each of October, November and December, which I combined with Shell Fuel Rewards $0.15/$100 for a linked MasterCard. $90 in gas and 6518 AA miles for $37.80 out of pocket, maybe 3 miles of extra driving and 30 minutes of my time was worth doing.

Does anyone know if II could apply for another Aviator Red while holding the NAF Aviator?

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
Same with me at the beginning of the year and I downgraded to the NAF card.

Saving grace was a general offer for 5K AA miles for spending $1K in in each of October, November and December, which I combined with Shell Fuel Rewards $0.15/$100 for a linked MasterCard. $90 in gas and 6518 AA miles for $37.80 out of pocket, maybe 3 miles of extra driving and 30 minutes of my time was worth doing.

Does anyone know if II could apply for another Aviator Red while holding the NAF Aviator?
I got a second Aviator with a Aviator Red still open so my guess would be yes.

idearr

Level 2 Member
Amex Business Platinum - 2nd year, no offers, not a large amount of spend (perhaps under $1,000) agent pointed out they gave me 7500 points last year ... will cancel before statement due date

Flanmann

Level 2 Member
Called for retention on Aviator Red for me and my wife. Waived fee on mine- had received targeted spend offers every quarter. Waived fee on my wife's too, and also gave 5k for spending $1k/3mo- hadn't gotten any targeted offers all year for her.