Possible Chase Ink plus card shutdown

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
My business banker who helped me to open Ink plus card in the branch last year called and said she received an email that my Ink plus account is on red flag and I need to show up to the bank to answer some questions.

Looks like NAICS code changed since 2017. When I opened the account, I chose 4541111 for Electronic shopping business. Now it is 4541110 since 2017. But their system doesn't give out those options.

I also noticed that I used ink plus card since the anniversary year for 45k on Officemax MS. This might have triggered the red flag and my banker received an email that if not taken care off by June 13th, this account would be shutdown that day.

When I went to see the banker, she asked me how I am paying for credit card balance and I said through personal account. So she said this could be audited and inquired if I pay taxes for using this account (no). Banker also noted that I haven't used biz checking acct for a long time.

Questions:
- I noticed that AF is also due for Ink plus. Should I just close this account and the business checking account, before any review?
- Or, move the UR points before June 13th and let the review happen and let them decide on closing the account?

I have 169k UR points. I already transferred some in UA, SW and Hyatt before.

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
So your saying going and talking to the banker did not "take care of" their questions?
Was the 45k spread out over the last year or ramped up recently?
Are you cycling your credit limit?

I'd hate to shut it down proactively since they no longer offer the Ink Plus. DP's show if they close it you will hopefully have a month to transfer out.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
So your saying going and talking to the banker did not "take care of" their questions?
Was the 45k spread out over the last year or ramped up recently?
Are you cycling your credit limit?

I'd hate to shut it down proactively since they no longer offer the Ink Plus. DP's show if they close it you will hopefully have a month to transfer out.
Banker is still clueless. She said she'll email back to the backoffice of what we did (reselected the same NAICS). 45k is spread over an year. Nothing drastic in last 6 months (only 5.5k). I know I could wait until they shut it down, but not sure if they decide to close all accounts. That would be a bummer...

Cmonman76

Level 2 Member
I've not seen a case before where they were questioning the NAICS. But then I'm not sure I've heard of Chase having the banker call either. Usually the hammer is just dropped.

Hopefully someone else here has some ideas. Good luck!

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
NAICS is the classification of your business that you gave the banker when signing up?
Yes. Within that there wee other questions like, 'do you sell, redeem cash, gift cards or debit cards etc.?'....answers to these might have triggered the review. I told that I resell gift cards.

Josh000

Level 2 Member
DPs are that chase gives 30 days to move URs after account shutdown. May be worth taking a chance on trying to talk your way out of shutdown.

Before taking action w/ a new MSing tactic it may be useful to consider "if I were the issuer/bank/etc, would this story check out". In this case, paying a business account from personal does not tell a consistent story. But when you argue your case to the CSR.....maybe it was just an honest mistake

ramonortiz55

Level 2 Member
Would transferring to a significant other be a poor idea?
Did you ever find the answer to this?

I've seen DP that Chase flags point transfers to someone that isn't on your account or someone that isn't you.

If you were successful, I should convince my wife to get a card.

projectx

Level 2 Member
Did you ever find the answer to this?

I've seen DP that Chase flags point transfers to someone that isn't on your account or someone that isn't you.

If you were successful, I should convince my wife to get a card.
I don't understand... Chase specifically allows points transfers to a member of your household. Are there some landmines here to be aware of?

ramonortiz55

Level 2 Member
I don't understand... Chase specifically allows points transfers to a member of your household. Are there some landmines here to be aware of?
A member of your household is fine. More like grandma sending you UR points type of transaction.