Amex Plat: frequency?

HariOm

Transcendent Level
When applying for different flavors of Amex Plat, how long have people been waiting to reapply after cancelling? For example, after cancelling the personal Plat, how long of a wait before applying for the MB version? I waited two years, just due to other apps in process, and my wife waited nine months, and we were both successful. Wondering how short of a period works, as we'd like to apply for more.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
When applying for different flavors of Amex Plat, how long have people been waiting to reapply after cancelling? For example, after cancelling the personal Plat, how long of a wait before applying for the MB version? I waited two years, just due to other apps in process, and my wife waited nine months, and we were both successful. Wondering how short of a period works, as we'd like to apply for more.
If your applying for different versions the length of time in between doesn't matter as long as you're within the framework for how often Amex will approve you for a CC.

Craig

Level 2 Member
If your applying for different versions the length of time in between doesn't matter as long as you're within the framework for how often Amex will approve you for a CC.
Small caveat that Plats are charge cards, and therefore not subject to any rules for frequency (unlike the 2/90 rule for credit cards). You could get as many as Amex will approve you for in one day if you want.

If you like the benefits from the Plat and use them, spread out your apps so that you always apply for one after closing one. If you only do it for the signup bonus, get them as frequently as you want, which I'd recommend would be whenever a historically high offer comes along.

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
Small caveat that Plats are charge cards, and therefore not subject to any rules for frequency (unlike the 2/90 rule for credit cards). You could get as many as Amex will approve you for in one day if you want.

If you like the benefits from the Plat and use them, spread out your apps so that you always apply for one after closing one. If you only do it for the signup bonus, get them as frequently as you want, which I'd recommend would be whenever a historically high offer comes along.
Duh. Lol. Totally spaced on it being a charge card. Thanks for the correction. I usually stack charge card apps with Amex CCs.

MikeT

Only MB plat and normal Plat give you airline/incidental credits right? none of the other varieties do?

mec

Silver Member
Only MB plat and normal Plat give you airline/incidental credits right? none of the other varieties do?
I think they all do except for the Delta Platinum which isn't a real platinum.

The Personal, Business... Ameriprise, Schwab, Goldman, Morgan Stanley & Mercedes Platinum cards all have the $200 credit.

Barefootwoman

Level 2 Member
Amex Plat up for renewal @ $550 ka-ching. Due to a family situation change, not much travel for us in the coming months, so I'm likely to cancel, based on this thread, not an issue to get another one in the future...thanks

Anameofaguy

Some people haven reported to holding two Platinums at once so YMMV
I was able to hold two. I found a great FHR deal right at the end of my 30 day window for my vanilla Platinum's fee and decided to put it on the Scwhab Plat to help towards the 60k/$5k if I could get approved. I was approved with no ineligibility warning.

When it came time to use the vanilla Platinum a few days later, the agent had a fair bit of attitude after asking why I washed closing it (I said lack of bonus on regular hotel bookings + lack of trip insurance) and then noticing I bad just opened a Schwab Plat.

bspoke

I had personal vanilla, business, MB, CS, MS, AMP flavors all open at the same time this year and received the SUB on all. I even had multiple of the biz plat open during this time, as I had responded to mailers. You will often run into problems if you're applying for the same card within 90 days. You can push it through by calling it, as it seems to be auto cancelled. Otherwise, you can wait to recon after 90 days past the previous app of the same card.