LAX-SIN-USM-LAX

HSK

Level 2 Member
please help me improve my itinerary for january/february 2018 (5 nights in sin and 5 nights in koh samui) for 4 people (2 toddlers so 1 stop is max and less travel time is always preferred). business/first is preferred but not essential.

i have the following miles:
UR - 800k
MR - 40k
SPG - 100k
AA - 500k

i was thinking of flying:
option 1
- korean air LAX-SIN round trip
- then fly silk air SIN-USM for 25k round trip (singapore airlines miles).

i'm not a big fan of having separate tickets cause i'm terrified that there will be a delay and i'll miss the connecting flight.

option 2
- singapore air LAX-SIN-USM one way
- return leg???

i've done simple searches on united and singapore airlines and the 10+ hours of layover or 2+ stops won't work. i'm sure there are lots of people smarter than me that can figure this out. please help!

dukerau

Level 2 Member
  • Note that with SQ, there is no non-stop LAX-SIN. You have a no plane change stop in either ICN or NRT. So LAX-SIN-USM is actually LAX-(XXX)-SIN-USM. Don't know if that's ok with you with your 1 stop max.
  • What about Cathay? LAX-HKG-SIN then return USM-HKG-LAX. Use SQ or cash for SIN-USM.
  • SQ allows a stopover, so you could do LAX-(XXX)-SIN / (stop) / SIN-USM / (destination) / USM-SIN-(XXX)-LAX
  • Availability is going to be tough for 4 seats in J/F though
Do you have specific dates, or are you flexible? There are certainly 1 stop LAX-SIN options with reasonable connections. For example, Asiana operates LAX-ICN-SIN with a 1h35m connection, and I see a few dates in late January with 4 J seats available on united.com. Another option is EVA Air LAX-TPE-SIN (couldn't get back from USM with 1 stop though)...I only see 4 J seats available on the LAX-TPE day flight though, so that would require an overnight connection in Taipei. If you could get one of the overnights, you might find a nice routing.

Last edited:

HSK

Level 2 Member
  • Note that with SQ, there is no non-stop LAX-SIN. You have a no plane change stop in either ICN or NRT. So LAX-SIN-USM is actually LAX-(XXX)-SIN-USM. Don't know if that's ok with you with your 1 stop max.
  • What about Cathay? LAX-HKG-SIN then return USM-HKG-LAX. Use SQ or cash for SIN-USM.
  • SQ allows a stopover, so you could do LAX-(XXX)-SIN / (stop) / SIN-USM / (destination) / USM-SIN-(XXX)-LAX
  • Availability is going to be tough for 4 seats in J/F though
Do you have specific dates, or are you flexible? There are certainly 1 stop LAX-SIN options with reasonable connections. For example, Asiana operates LAX-ICN-SIN with a 1h35m connection, and I see a few dates in late January with 4 J seats available on united.com. Another option is EVA Air LAX-TPE-SIN (couldn't get back from USM with 1 stop though)...I only see 4 J seats available on the LAX-TPE day flight though, so that would require an overnight connection in Taipei. If you could get one of the overnights, you might find a nice routing.
thanks for that. i hadn't thought about eva air...
i do have specific dates. flying out of LAX-SIN on 1/24, SIN-USM on 1/31 and leaving USM-LAX on 2/4.
i tried to look for cathay availability but couldn't find it...

mec

Silver Member
This may not be of use to you, but it appears United is working on authorization for a direct flight to and from LAX - SIN.

It appears to be unavailable as a saver for your dates, but I don't have the mileage explorer cards which may affect that.

HSK

Level 2 Member
This may not be of use to you, but it appears United is working on authorization for a direct flight to and from LAX - SIN.

It appears to be unavailable as a saver for your dates, but I don't have the mileage explorer cards which may affect that.
yes i've seen direct flights on economy. i forgot to mention that as an option. but 18 hours in economy is just so long... haha.