Discount Gift Cards on Ebay

Seeme

Level 2 Member
I see deals on Ebay quite often that are fulfilled through Paypal Gifts. Such as recently there was a deal on $50 Toys-R-Us gift cards for $40. I'm out of the country at the moment for work and it doesn't allow me to purchase those gift cards with a Credit Card. Is that the case if you're in the US, or do you have to use a debit card to take advantage of those deals?

GettingReady

Level 2 Member
I see deals on Ebay quite often that are fulfilled through Paypal Gifts. Such as recently there was a deal on $50 Toys-R-Us gift cards for $40. I'm out of the country at the moment for work and it doesn't allow me to purchase those gift cards with a Credit Card. Is that the case if you're in the US, or do you have to use a debit card to take advantage of those deals?
You can use a credit card, linked to your PayPal account, to purchase them. PayPal digital gifts is notorious for being finicky though.

Seeme

Level 2 Member
That's what I thought everyone was doing, guessing it's because I'm out of the country. Appreciated.

Seeme

Level 2 Member
PayPal Digital Gifts only allows checkout with PayPal.
Yeah, when I tried to go through Paypal and use my credit card, it said something to the extent of "this payment method is not allowed for this purchase, place try a different method".

chalkitup

Level 2 Member
Google "PayPal digital gifts error" to give yourself some background on the frustrating PPDG payment issues.

Call PayPal when you get the first error and ask if the CSR can do anything to help push the order through. Say that this happened the last time you ordered and whoever you talked to was able to do something on their end to help me complete the order. Sometimes this will work, sometimes it will not.

scubaduba14

Level 2 Member
if you're out of the country it's very very very likely that you'll have IP address issues when trying to purchase through PayPal. they will deny your purchase or give you the verification loop we all hate so much. as @chalkitup said you should call PayPal customer service and offer to answer security questions to clear your account and push the order through. if you're frequently traveling you should use VPN to establish a domestic IP address that you can always access regardless of where you are in the world. once that IP address is established then the chance of PPDG errors will be much lower and usually only happen when you spend too much and/or too fast relative to your normal spending behaviors.