No AA availability for Cathay??

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
I am trying to book an international award travel for 2. I see the availability on BA site on Cathay. But when I call AA, they don't see it.

I searched online and gathered that this has been happening for some time now. But is there a work around? AA agent checked it as separate segment.

Matt

Administrator
Staff member
I am trying to book an international award travel for 2. I see the availability on BA site on Cathay. But when I call AA, they don't see it.

I searched online and gathered that this has been happening for some time now. But is there a work around? AA agent checked it as separate segment.
I think there is some issue with phantom space. I've got Cathay on AA booked for next month, so it does work... but not sure if you can work around the issue... maybe ask them on the phone if they can see ANY space in your class of cabin to see if you can reverse engineer it (eg maybe you need to see 4 seats on BA because they give AA 2 less or something)

satz

Level 2 Member
I might be lucky, I haven't had phantom availability problems.

Sometimes, it could be the agent is not searching properly. I've had itineraries like AAA-BBB, BBB-HKG, HKG-CCC with the second leg to HKG on CX. When I would tell the AA agent I wanted to book from AAA to HKG (stop) and on to CCC, they would tell me nothing is available. I tried with 2-3 agents. I got fed up and asked the 4th agent if there was space available on BBB-HKG and the agent said yes. I then fed the agent the rest of the itinerary.

LearnMS

Level 2 Member
I have got no luck so far until Sep for flights from HKG to US. I wanted to use AA miles on CX, but may go with Etihad. However, I heard the announcement that Etihad is nixing chauffeur service from July 3rd.....

These things are becoming think of a past....

Maverick17

Level 2 Member
My CX flight HKG-SFO was barely half full a few weeks ago. I counted 41 rows with lie flat economy going on. J was about 75% full. I'm hopeful the AA devaluation rush is dying down, and there are more seats than last year. HUCA and try other routes if you can.

Last edited: