South Africa

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Used $ to book JFK-DOH-SIN RT on QR. Going to be on a safari, etc tour in South Africa beginning in CPT and ending in JNB.

Any ideas on how to get from SIN-CPT and JNB back to SIN? I have about 200K SQ Kris Flyer Miles, 400K Life Miles, maybe 100K MR and 150K UR, plus will be earning more in the upcoming months.

Should I look for awards flights or perhaps just use some flexible points for flights? I know I could also look for some sort of low price and earn miles but I figure I should use points/miles and not be a hoarder.

Also, is there anyplace in between as I have been to SIN so many times and have some days to spare. I was thinking Maldives or Sri Lanka?

Last edited:

thepaul500

Level 2 Member
Singapore Air flies direct to JNB with their A350, looks like 45k miles (before internet booking discount) each way in biz plus fuel surcharges which won't be cheap.

The convience of non-stop can sometimes be worth the extra money... more time on safari beats sitting in the best airport lounge every single day.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
Thanks, but I must have misstated the query. The tour begins in Capetown and ENDS in Johannesberg. Non-stop wouldn't give me more time in South Africa as I'd be going back to Singapore. I'm actually looking for a place to stop over. Besides the tour is as long as it is so I wouldn't have more time on safari. Actually, reading back my last sentence kind of did say it. No matter, I can always figure something out.

Kristina

Level 2 Member
When are you flying? I'm booked on a QR business class award flight for our South Africa trip in July! We're doing JNB to DOH to BOS for our return leg.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
When are you flying? I'm booked on a QR business class award flight for our South Africa trip in July! We're doing JNB to DOH to BOS for our return leg.
October JFK-DOH-SIN actually late September SIN-DOH-JFK late October

I may have erred going to SIN but the price was good and we like the city and the hotel we always stay at. Problem is I can get to MLE or CMB from or to SIN but then connections to/from SA are few and lengthy. May wind up just hanging in Singapore.

merice107

Level 2 Member
The Singapore flight does a tag on to Cape Town. I can't remember if it before or after the j'burg leg. I saw SQ when I was in CPT last summer.

You could also fly SQ to Jburg and the. South African to CPT.

Hanoi IG

Level 2 Member
The Singapore flight does a tag on to Cape Town. I can't remember if it before or after the j'burg leg. I saw SQ when I was in CPT last summer.

You could also fly SQ to Jburg and the. South African to CPT.
I go to SIN so often that I couldn't stay several nights on both ends so I finally took circuitous SIN-MLE on SQ with MLE-CPT on EK business. Snagged Saver Award SQ Business JNB-SIN so it's all good.

My main worry now is what's up with Qatar.