Upgrade offer on Hilton HHonors Surpass CC

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I know I am probably being overly cautious, but I've got this new card at the brink - 2983-something via 2 gc.com orders. Once they post I'll add $20 to my amazon account and wait for points.

Question: I checked. I acquired the fee-free Hilton AMEX for my wife directly some years back for 75k points. It has since been closed. But she's never had the Surpass card. She's free to get the bonus on that as a new account, right? My memory says yes, but Citi's change in policies is interfering with these thoughts.

Craig

Level 2 Member
I know I am probably being overly cautious, but I've got this new card at the brink - 2983-something via 2 gc.com orders. Once they post I'll add $20 to my amazon account and wait for points.

Question: I checked. I acquired the fee-free Hilton AMEX for my wife directly some years back for 75k points. It has since been closed. But she's never had the Surpass card. She's free to get the bonus on that as a new account, right? My memory says yes, but Citi's change in policies is interfering with these thoughts.
You can get the bonus on each the Surpass and fee-free Hilton Honors card.

Craig

Level 2 Member
Can confirm that I just received my 100k bonus on the upgraded Surpass one week after receiving the 100k signup bonus on a new Surpass. Now to downgrade both and hope for additional upgrade offers before the 100k promo ends on May 31!

currid7

Level 2 Member
Can confirm that I just received my 100k bonus on the upgraded Surpass one week after receiving the 100k signup bonus on a new Surpass. Now to downgrade both and hope for additional upgrade offers before the 100k promo ends on May 31!
Any chance of adverse against by Amex after "excessive" downgrading / upgrading? I'm taking a "screw em" attitude after they jipped me out of my 100k Upgrade (I'll probably do a CFPB) but don't want to risk my other accounts.

Craig

Level 2 Member
Any chance of adverse against by Amex after "excessive" downgrading / upgrading? I'm taking a "screw em" attitude after they jipped me out of my 100k Upgrade (I'll probably do a CFPB) but don't want to risk my other accounts.
Maybe?

EightBall

Level 2 Member
I will be in a similar situation. In April I applied for a new Surpass, then upgraded my current no-fee Amex Hilton just a few short hours later.... I'll post my own results in a couple of weeks.
Just to follow-up: 100k posted on the new Surpass a few days after meeting 3k spend. Then a week later 100k posted on the upgraded Surpass also a few days after meeting 3k spend. Still a little time left if anyone is thinking about double-dipping.

projectx

Level 2 Member
I go to the link and put in my info. In the box it says "Upgrade your American Express Green Card-XXXXX to THE HILTON HONORS™ SURPASS® CARD FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS".

Now, the last five digits match my HH card, but... upgrade your Green Card? I don't have a Amex Green Card and never have. What's that about?

Craig

Level 2 Member
I go to the link and put in my info. In the box it says "Upgrade your American Express Green Card-XXXXX to THE HILTON HONORS™ SURPASS® CARD FROM AMERICAN EXPRESS".

The last 5 will be correct but it incorrectly references a Green Card for the non-once-in-a-lifetime language upgrade link.

Last edited:

projectx

Level 2 Member
That's strange, hopefully it was just a temporary blip for both of you. It was my first go around, but I used the link late this afternoon. The Surpass card is already showing on my account page.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
Ok, so I managed to upgrade my no-fee card and net the 100k bonus. And I signed my wife up for the Surpass card "new" and will complete the spend on this today. Perfect!

How long are people waiting to downgrade this card to the no-fee version? My only hurry is to see if I can score upgrades again. Hopefully that is still being offered and will for awhile yet.

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I downgraded my Surpass CC about a month ago and yesterday a new upgrade offer posted. My offer was for 75,000 points after spending $3000 within 3 months. Not as good an offer as other got but considering there's not hard pull, I am not complaining.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I downgraded my Surpass CC about a month ago and yesterday a new upgrade offer posted. My offer was for 75,000 points after spending $3000 within 3 months. Not as good an offer as other got but considering there's not hard pull, I am not complaining.
Thanks. So how long did you actually hold the Surpass card before downgrading?

Walmero

Level 2 Member
Thanks. So how long did you actually hold the Surpass card before downgrading?
Wondering this too for other folks on the upgrade/downgrade rollercoaster... Did you downgrade just after the points posted? Also, how long until they levy the AF? I realize the 100k offer is over (or is it?) But are they still throwing up a 75k offer now?

heavenlyjane

Level 2 Member
I tend to hold on to a CC until the AF hits 12 months later. I don't think I've ever cancelled a card mid-year of the first year. Ethically I feel that if I am awarded a sign-up bonus, I should keep the card open a full year.

knick1959

Level 2 Member
I'm sure this is old info to most ... but I was surprised. I ended up with an upgraded card for myself and a new card for my wife. My wife's NEW card was levied with the annual fee very quickly. I upgraded mine before she got hers and I have yet to see an annual fee hit. Am I good until the original card would have had a (no-fee) annual event, or are they going to hit me up any minute? The surprise is that, as of yet, I haven't seen the fee.

Walmero

Level 2 Member
I'm sure this is old info to most ... but I was surprised. I ended up with an upgraded card for myself and a new card for my wife. My wife's NEW card was levied with the annual fee very quickly. I upgraded mine before she got hers and I have yet to see an annual fee hit. Am I good until the original card would have had a (no-fee) annual event, or are they going to hit me up any minute? The surprise is that, as of yet, I haven't seen the fee.
Exactly what I am wondering as well.

projectx

Level 2 Member
My prorated AF posted within 2 months of upgrading.
So is it based on your original anniversary date? I didn't realize that. If I'm understanding it correctly, I first opened the Surpass in Dec of 2015. Downgraded in Dec 2016, upgraded at the end of May 2017. So my annual fee will be... roughly $45?

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I think so. I did multiple upgrades and can't remember if each card's prorated AF matches the anniv date, but they were all different amounts so I assume it's based on anniv date (T&C led me to same belief).

Walmero

Level 2 Member
I think so. I did multiple upgrades and can't remember if each card's prorated AF matches the anniv date, but they were all different amounts so I assume it's based on anniv date (T&C led me to same belief).
So you ate the fees each time? Did you downgrade shortly after the fee, (was this your signal?) or did you hold for an arbitrary amount of time, then downgrade? Wouldn't mind paying fee as cost of playing (totally agree w/ @heavenlyjane) but also would like to up/downgrade most efficiently...

italdesign

Level 2 Member
I downgraded some and kept some. Downgrading any time prorates the AF, so you can wait a few months to make it look better.